inTank Media Baskets

Anyone with a Lee Mar rimless tank, get in here! Please :(

Seiryoku

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoked you got a decent resolution so far. Its gonna work out. OBD ever gt back to you?

Not yet, no. Probably afraid to sell me anything :o

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

Oceans by design.

Ohh haha :)

Yeah, they probably spying on us chatting about them at the moment.

TeflonTomDosh

Ever asked your LFS or anyone else you get stuff from in real life about this forum or any others? I bet most of them will tell you they dislike the forums. It's threads like this that help with that I'm sure. Either way, best of luck with the new tank :)

Businesses don't like the forums? Shall we all play our wee tiny violins for them?

You know how all this could have been avoided? Lee Mar's shop could have not built two complete pieces of crap and shipped them to their customer. They could have had someone checking orders before they went out to make sure their product met basic quality standards. Heck, the guy could have checked his email on Friday, taken a look at the pictures, and written a five sentence email promising to correct the problem instead of making the customer wait all weekend and this thread probably would not have existed.

Sorry it's a little inconvenient for them to do the work that they were paid to do.

I could maybe see some of TTD's point if the OP had not spent $3000 with Lee Mar!!! For a company to charge that much for a product (or set of products in this case), and then deliver this type of quality is worrisome.

Now I understand that mistakes can be made, but if a company charges a premium, then I believe they should back it up with premium customer service - i.e. they respond to the customer immediately, especially as he is not across the country... :angry:

Probably the biggest question for me is: how is it that these other manufacturers (both mass-produced and custom) can use silicon that cures without the level of bubbling seen here (and elsewhere...)? :huh: The second biggest question is: how did those stands pass any sort of inspection? :wacko:

• Like 2

Bubbles in the silicone is my highest concern at this point :(

The tanks and stands are now in the possession of Lee Mar and will be at their San Diego facility this evening. Mark will look at them Wednesday morning and give me a call. Not 100% on this, but the estimate for completing everything is about a week.

I'm off work most of next week, would be great if I got it all back by Friday the 18th! Might be cutting it too close though.

• Like 2

Well, that is good to hear, and I hope you get what you paid for in the end.

While I personally would never buy such an expensive set-up(s), I do like to live vicariously through those of you who do! :D

• Like 3

Was just on the phone with Mark Boyd for about 30 minuets, was a very good talk :)

His best estimate on when my stuff will be ready to ship out is the 24th-25th, I guess they don't actually do the "diamond edge" work in house, it is sent out. He has assured me, once again, my replacements (they will all be totally rebuilt), will be the very best quality they can produce and the from the sounds of it, potentially, the very best they every have!

They do have to use the spacers...no way to avoid it :(

I did get a couple of upgrades too (both of which I'm pretty damn happy about):

1) He is going to have the notches in the overflows flame polished

2) Going to use extra silicone on all seams so they can be cut after curing to ensure nice smooth uniform seams

Lee Mar is going to cover the cost to crate everything, but my LFS will have to either go pick them up in Buellton (380 miles), San Diego (524) miles or pay freight. He is certainly taking a loss on this deal with me. Mark said someone offered to buy my old stuff on the spot while they were inspecting it o_o

• Like 1
TeflonTomDosh

Mark said someone offered to buy my old stuff on the spot while they were inspecting it o_o

I personally didn't think it was that bad, appearance wise. For what you paid though, HIGHEST quality is def to be expected though. Glad everything worked out for you.

• Like 1

I personally didn't think it was that bad, appearance wise. For what you paid though, HIGHEST quality is def to be expected though. Glad everything worked out for you.

It hasn't worked out fully yet, but is getting there!

Any verdict on this yet?

Im sure they will come through for you.

I should have my replacements around the end of this month. Brand new tanks and stands with the utmost attention paid to detail and quality. Being assured they will be the highest quality they are able to produce.

Everything is great so far, just have to wait until the end of the month now!

My LFS has been most excellent at dealing with/assisting me too. Absolutely no resistance from them whatsoever, even though they are going to end up taking an overall loss on the deal with me... All they care about is making sure I'm happy (same with Lee Mar so far).

• Like 1

LFS is going to pay to have them shipped to him (shipping them to me probably wouldn't work unless the fright company could use a short truck) and I'll either pick them up or he'll bring them to me. Everything will be individually crated for shipping (they were wrapped the first time, but not crated). Either way I'm going to have the uncrating/unwrapping recorded by someone...

Gone over very well before they leave the store or before the LFS leaves my home :)

Why would the lfs be taking a loss?This is in no way their fault.

They had to drive the tanks/stands to southern California (6 hours each way) and will have to pay to ship it all back up here (or pick it all up). Gas for a truck large enough to transport it all down there (and the time) and either gas/time down and up or freight back up... In the end my LFS will end up paying out of pocket for stuff that will exceed their profit :(

I'm not involved in what is going on between my LFS and Lee Mar. This is basically what I know from talking to Lee Mar.

That being said, they are still more worried about making it right for me :) Great peoples!

Not so much an argument as it is a statement of opinion. Consider if it was YOUR business and the potential LOST customers due to someone's premature posting about their experience. Fact remains, the tank was mfr'd by Lee Mar and not once had you spoke to ANYONE there before making this post, so you had no idea on what the outcome was going to be. I can't say for sure whether it affected their chances of adding a new customer or not but I'd be willing to bet that if anyone that read this was looking to buy a tank from them prior to reading this they would re-consider.
I don't think he needed to speak to anyone at Lee Mar before he posted. Those tanks were wrapped and packed at Lee Mar. Those tanks should of never left there looking like that.
  • Like 5

Had a similar experience last spring when I ordered my 225. The back panel was off and there was a massive chip in the bottom corner. Luckily I cut off the cardboard and Saran Wrap right there in the truck before they unloaded it. Refused delivery and had them rebuild the tank. Critical to inspect every inch before driving off with a new tank! With that said, the new tank they built was utterly flawless, and turned out epic. Ill never go with a different manufacturer, even despite mine, yours and other horror stories I've read. I have another tank on order with them now. Good luck with your situation!

post-74288-0-72030700-1358306553_thumb.jpg

post-74288-0-74377400-1358306680_thumb.jpg

@Shores805: Thank you for sharing your experience with Lee Mar and posting the pictures, really appreciate it :)

@ Bluprntguy: They are generally considered to be one of the best in the industry...

I've never really been exposed to Lee Mar tanks, but from the pictures I've seen, even other than the cracks and chips, their comstruction is fairly sloppy and ugly. Are they really known as a quality tank builder?[/

Having both personally witnessed Lee Mar hellaciously blow it , and also come through with a phenomenally perfect aquarium( bevels, clarity seams, bulkheads etc), Im personally satisfied with their services and willing to take the risk.

Been following this. Even the best of companies make errors, but the best compaines admit it on the first phone call and make it right.

• Like 3

Hey glad they fixed it quick for you and gave you an answer, sorry you had to have the stress of having $3k in the air for a while there.

Post Pics when you get the new stuff.

Archived