Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Anyone with a Lee Mar rimless tank, get in here! Please :(

Seiryoku

I have all the tools to get it flat, my whole point is I shouldn't have to do any work on something I paid to have built and is new. Mark Boyd seems to think it is ok to send out flawed merchandise to customers and then ignore it.

The purpose of testing it with a piece of glass is to see if the glass actually breaks which, in my opinion, would prove that the stand, as is, is not suitable for use and should not have been sent to me. Also, they use veneered plywood for the top...planing that down is going to be a pain in my ass.

There's self leveling epoxy coatings you can pour. One is called "Bar Coat" I think. Find it or something similar at Home Depot for $15. Pour it out, self levels, hardens and you have a glass smooth, level top that's waterproof.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry your tank is so sh!tty, my mr.aqua 12" cube was put together way better than that. I'd take that sh!t back to wherever I got it from, lay it on the front desk and demand my money so I could go to petco and buy a real f*cking tank that isn't crooked and chipped.

Im sorry but that is funny.

Esp since thats where my tank came for 20 bucks.

Think I'll draft one last email/certified letter to Lee Mar about this and see how they respond. One last chance for Mark Boyd to do something...anything...to make this somewhat right. If he responds to it as he has my other emails it leaves me with very few options.

kevantheman35

Dude, quit your wining already and get it wet or send it back!

The bottom line is you want what you paid for or you don't. Your obviously not getting better quality so deal with it. Maybe after another ten pages in this thread we will hear how you finally started stocking it and accidently dropped a piece of live rock on the bottom shattering the whole damn thing! It's time to s-h-I-t or get off the potty!

YES

Paid about $800 for this one. Also bought a 24x24x20 and stand for each at the same time so pricing was discounted some.

For $800 i would have a hard time letting this go too...hell great lakes aquariums builds this exact tank for $328.00 + $110 for star fire glass...so $438 + tax. I realize some may need it delivered, add another $200. Thats $638 delivered and i can vouch for them, i would bet my reputation they would make that tank better after seeing this.

To those who say expecting perfection is stupid, $800 for a 24" cube demands perfection.

Source:

http://www.greatlakesaquariums.com/aquarium/rimless-aquarium/glass-complete-list.aspx

For $800 i would have a hard time letting this go too...hell great lakes aquariums builds this exact tank for $328.00 + $110 for star fire glass...so $438 + tax. I realize some may need it delivered, add another $200. Thats $638 delivered and i can vouch for them, i would bet my reputation they would make that tank better after seeing this.

To those who say expecting perfection is stupid, $800 for a 24" cube demands perfection.

Source:

http://www.greatlakesaquariums.com/aquarium/rimless-aquarium/glass-complete-list.aspx

Well said.i dont know of the company you are talking about but come on its only a small tank.It cant be that hard to get it right the second time.

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

Sorry your tank is so sh!tty, my mr.aqua 12" cube was put together way better than that. I'd take that sh!t back to wherever I got it from, lay it on the front desk and demand my money so I could go to petco and buy a real f*cking tank that isn't crooked and chipped.

Are you seriously comparing your 12" cube to this tank? They are in a different league of difficulty.

Well said.i dont know of the company you are talking about but come on its only a small tank.It cant be that hard to get it right the second time.

The bold is kind of my point. Most people have never heard of GLA, yet they can build this tank for less money to a higher standard. Thats why i said i can understand why OP is upset.

If this was the other way around and GLA made the tank OP has now, and everyone was saying "should of bought a lee mar to avoid this" it would be totally different.

Are you seriously comparing your 12" cube to this tank? They are in a different league of difficulty.

I think that's his point. His Mr. Aqua cube was somewhat mass-produced and has the same level of quality that this custom made tank does. The custom made tank cost an arm and a leg to be made by a company that considers themselves the top tier of custom aquariums. The Mr. Aqua and Lee Mar aren't even in the same class of tanks, if we look at it that way, but the quality of this Lee Mar tank is similar to the Mr. Aqua cube.

As far as being a different league of difficulty... I'm not sure what that implies. Cutting and beveling glass is all kind of the same, and then forming the tank properly is the same on all levels. Sure, maybe these are hand made so they are more difficult to make than a factory-produced tank, but there also should have then been WAY more attention to detail. Maybe Lee Mar is in too deep? Maybe making great tanks IS too difficult for them? I would be irritated at paying that much for a tank with flaws that I always saw. Especially when others have similar flaws on their much cheaper, mass manufactured tanks...

I think that's his point. His Mr. Aqua cube was somewhat mass-produced and has the same level of quality that this custom made tank does. The custom made tank cost an arm and a leg to be made by a company that considers themselves the top tier of custom aquariums. The Mr. Aqua and Lee Mar aren't even in the same class of tanks, if we look at it that way, but the quality of this Lee Mar tank is similar to the Mr. Aqua cube.

As far as being a different league of difficulty... I'm not sure what that implies. Cutting and beveling glass is all kind of the same, and then forming the tank properly is the same on all levels. Sure, maybe these are hand made so they are more difficult to make than a factory-produced tank, but there also should have then been WAY more attention to detail. Maybe Lee Mar is in too deep? Maybe making great tanks IS too difficult for them? I would be irritated at paying that much for a tank with flaws that I always saw. Especially when others have similar flaws on their much cheaper, mass manufactured tanks...

Interesting note, AFAIK (i did work in the wholesale side of this business at one point) last time i spoke with a rep for a Chinese company about a year ago even the cheapest/shittiest Chinese tank is hand made. Doubt it has changed.

Interesting note, AFAIK (i did work in the wholesale side of this business at one point) last time i spoke with a rep for a Chinese company about a year ago even the cheapest/shittiest Chinese tank is hand made. Doubt it has changed.

Well, it may be hand made in china, but they are pumping them out, right? Last I checked there isn't a wait period for Mr. Aqua tanks. I like them - I'm not saying they are bad tanks. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Regardless, assuming they are made in China, the cost indicates that they aren't the same quality as Lee Mar. But people here are saying that they ARE the same quality. Either people are getting a steal for the Mr Aqua tanks or Lee Mar is way overpriced for their stuff.

Glad that some still agree with me and I'm not simply crazy...

Think my case would hold up in court...it may end up there! I'm not one to just roll over and accept something because I'm told to do so. Wrong is wrong and I don't think Lee Mar should get away with passing this quality of aquariums off as some of the best around.

I know nothing on cali small claims (which is where this would go), so i cant say if its worth your time.

$800 isnt worth my time in that regard. I think a permanent link to this thread in your sig(s) would be more beneficial.

Total spent was actually $3,000 on two tanks and two stands (1k for two stands and 2k for two tanks). It isn't so much about the money as it is Lee Mar maintaining their reputation as one of the top aquarium builders when they simply are not.

Besides the 3k I have in the two tanks/stands there are countless hours in dealing with the problems. Phone calls/emails with Lee Mar and my LFS as well as multiple trips to my LFS at ~30 miles each way (gas and time). Ordered all of this at the end of October 2012...it has been dragging on for some time now and has caused me a lot of stress and anxiety, not to mention pissing off my girlfriend.

For all of that I get replacements that are still not what I was promised. If I end up having to go after Lee Mar I don't plan on being nice about it. Sad thing for Lee Mar is it can probably all be avoided if Mark Boyd would simply reply to me proper answers and not blow smoke up my ass.

Also i would have your lfs involved to make it more than a small claim.they can claim time,money for shipping,potential loss of customers,all kinds of things like that.

Also i would have your lfs involved to make it more than a small claim.they can claim time,money for shipping,potential loss of customers,all kinds of things like that.

Indeed. Especially since Lee Mar strong armed them into paying for the replacements to be shipped to me as well as having to get the original bad order down to them. Lee Mar should have stepped up and taken care of all of it since they, admittedly, sent out bad quality merchandise. Instead they blamed my LFS for damaging things in transport to pressure them into eating costs to keep me happy.

I know nothing on cali small claims (which is where this would go), so i cant say if its worth your time.

$800 isnt worth my time in that regard. I think a permanent link to this thread in your sig(s) would be more beneficial.

Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't spend $3000 on just the tank/stand - but that's me. I can't say that I think the current flaws are really even that bad. But I'm not super picky about the design of the tank - I want the corals and stuff. But if you spend that kind of money and you WANT it a certain way and the company messes up the first time but swears to get it right next time and they don't...

Small claims court is quite the step, though. It may cost you way more in the long run than 3000 bucks to take them to court. I don't know. Do whatever you feel you need to, though.

From cali's site:

Small claims court is a special court where disputes are resolved quickly and inexpensively.

Also, limited to $5000 or less. Usually individuals self-represent to keep costs down, although an attorney can be brought in for a fee.

Like I said, it isn't so much about money at this point. I want answers from Lee Mar and for the public to know what their quality really is and how bad their customer service is. If I have to drag them into court for my answers so be it... I have customers that are various types of attorneys, hell even know a couple of local deputy district attorneys...they'd probably all think I'm insane, but could get advice from them none the less.

You should get a screenshot of that page before it is removed or edited.

I feel that since lemur isnt cutting their glass then how can they charge so much for the tanks.It may cost them 200 bucks for the glass and maybe 20 bucks for the silicone and 60 for the acrylic.So they are charging 500 bucks roughly to assemble some other companies parts.That is just absurd.

This is turning into a joke. What's going to happen in small claims court? The judge will order you to return the tanks and the seller to refund your money. End of story!

Contact the maker and ask for a refund. Return the tanks - all of them including stands. Sleep better at night.

YOU have a personal grudge with the company because they don't live up to your standards. Obviously they failed (twice) to meet your expectations so return the purchase and move on already. It would be different if they failed to work with you but given that he already send you a replacement you have little ground to stand on. Return the tanks already and move on buddy.

Not to follow the leader, but I have to agree with Mstefa1. Reading through both threads, I don't think your expectations where rediculous given the money spent. How ever, going out of your way to try and take down Lee Mar may not be the best course of action for you at this juncture. As a friendly, heart felt piece of advice, just return the tanks and bring your business elsewhere. Other people will pay for the Lee Mar quality they expect, which may be different from the quality you're looking for.

Honestly, I'd keep the stand and return the tank. Have a replacement built, throw it on the Lee Mar stand, and go about your day. I want to see your tank up and running, 24" cubes are sexy.

Reefmaster1996

As far as I know court fees at least in Florida are usually 200$ plus your lawyer fees but you can easily make lee mar pay the lawyer fees if you go to court.

TeflonTomDosh

As far as I know court fees at least in Florida are usually 200$ plus your lawyer fees but you can easily make lee mar pay the lawyer fees if you go to court.

I don't think he could. The tank would have to fail first for Lee Mar to be held liable. The imperfections are standard for aquariums and once again, anything made by man, well isn't going to be perfect. OP is just a big

crybaby.png

and needs to come back and talk to us when something fails on the tank.

Archived