Cultivated Reef

55 Gallon - 2 years old

bencollinz

Have you thought about drilling the tank before setting it up?

If not, what about running a CPR or Reef Octopus overflow box? Do you have anything in place if that box looses syphon?

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the same thing about the lights being great for a tank!

Aparently we arent the first to think this. I read an article somewhere on the history of reefkeeping the other day. It made the claim that flourescent actinic lighting for jaundiced babies was the inspiration for introducing actinics to reef tanks. Made me think of this thread. Ill try to find and link it.

By the way, im loving your equipment choices :) cant wait for the sump build. What are you thinking of for lighting?

Have you thought about drilling the tank before setting it up?

If not, what about running a CPR or Reef Octopus overflow box? Do you have anything in place if that box looses syphon?

too much talk about 55's being tempered all around after certain years, this and that. I've read through TONS of threads debating it. So to answer you, yes.

second part, lifereef overflow.

What are you thinking of for lighting?

DIY LED will post more info once I finalize plans.

This is exciting! What are you thinking of getting in terms of equipment?

I think the only equipment left that I haven't mentioned is controller (reef angel), lighting (DIY LED) and powerheads?, maybe. Of course I'm aiming for vortechs but we'll see about budget. Have to get this wet first.

Did I miss any other equipment?

Found that article :)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rv/feature/index.php

The part i am refering to is under the section titled "The 1980s"

Awesome. Love it! thank you. My wife will love to read this.

Good Luck! I have a 55 gallon also. They're challenging, but worth it. :)

Thank you. So far, not so challenging. ;)

Congratulations on the baby!

I also have a 55. I find it much easier to scape than my Biocube was.

I was going to go with an all in one and changed my mind at the last minute to go with a sump so I had to drill it with a Glass Holes kit. Not difficult, just nervewracking! I asked the tank builder if the back was tempered before drilling. I think there's a way to tell using a phone and rotating it behind the glass - don't trust me but do a search on it.

IMG_4029_zpsb9ec50a4.jpg

• Like 1

You can also tell if glass is tempered by looking at it in sunlight with polarized sunglasses.

However the U tube style HOB overflows are more dependable than the continuous syphon styles IMO. Life reef beeing the highest quality one available. My eshoppes has been running for three days with a large snail stuck in the U tube and it hasnt even slowed down. Hell i trust it enough that im leaving town tonight and i havent given that snail in the overflow a second thought.

Congrats on the baby! My twins were born at 35w0d and weighed 4lbs6oz (16 and 3/4 inches long) and 5lbs2oz (17 inches long). They both came home just shy of 5 lbs. At 18 months old they love our fish tank and are constantly saying "fishy!" My husband is trying to teach them how to say coral but all we've gotten so far is caca lol. It's hard to have a baby in the NICU (mine were only there for 2 weeks, but it was tough) so I hope everything goes smoothly there for you guys.

• Like 1

Thank you and thank you. HE :lol: is doing well. He was actually on a C PAP for the first 24 hours. Then jaundiced, so now the LED lights.

I was thinking the same thing about the lights being great for a tank!

My wife was put on some major meds due to severe eclampsia so she didn't even get to see him yet.

His name is Benjamin Joshua. I'm Benjamin (Ben) Joseph. Didn't want a Jr, per se.

Oh no. :( Your poor wife. I had severe eclampsia too and was kept on blood pressure medications for 6 weeks post partum. They made me exhausted. My mom had to take my twins one evening because I was falling asleep on my feet, so I slept for 17 hours and still woke up exhausted. I hope her health gets better asap! I didn't get to see my twins for nearly 26 hours and it sucked. So happy he's home now and things are looking up.

My babies:

260522_786331892900_4619845_n.jpg

268195_787416020300_2794968_n.jpg

• Like 1

Oh no. :( Your poor wife. I had severe eclampsia too and was kept on blood pressure medications for 6 weeks post partum. They made me exhausted. My mom had to take my twins one evening because I was falling asleep on my feet, so I slept for 17 hours and still woke up exhausted. I hope her health gets better asap! I didn't get to see my twins for nearly 26 hours and it sucked. So happy he's home now and things are looking up.

Adorable! My wife was put on Labetalol and then she got Mastitis. But she's allergic to cillins, sulfas and cephalosporins. The only thing they could give her was prednisone for that. Thankfully after all this she is still producing milk like a champ!

I was put on two BP meds I can't remember the name of. The first one we tried was safe for breastfeeding, the 2nd one wasn't so I quit. Wasn't worth it. My BP was nearly at stroke level. After I got rid of most of the fluid I retained though my BP went down really fast. I was never put on a pregnancy safe BP med while pregnant though. I was fine and then a few days later my BP had shot up and I had an emergency c-section. Congrats again to you and your wife! Next thing you know he's going to be running around, telling you no and telling people all about the "frs" and "coaw" in your tank (fish and coral lol). They can't pronounce it well, but they try. :happy:

Instead of renting the breastpump I just went ahead and bought my wife a brand new one. She'll use it for how many years, so not worth paying $70/mo to rent.

190795_575804596641_162680498_n.jpg

3 bottles worth with this, opposed to only 1.5 with the low end pump we had.

Lol, nice! We used the NICU issued hospital grade pumps and then I had to quit with my bp meds so we went to formula. She will definitely use that, especially with the little guy being so small!

Archived