ReefCleaners.org

.: Shaner014's 11.4 | New Photo's! :.

shaner014

Deleted User 4

Yea that sucks. I've heard that about them, I almost got one but was worried about keeping them fed. I finally used the Julian's Thing tonight. It's great. Two things I took away from it though; when mixing reef chili or the like, use only one or two "tip" fulls of water, to keep the mixture nutrient dense, and also to buy extra tips! I need one to cut for mysis. Didn't get to meet up with VeganBrian due to my flu... But next weekend should be set, and hopefully I can get a nice torch head from him too!

Yeah mysis is the only problem it has fitting into...haha

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice tank. I haven't read the entire thread but I like your build. How do you like your tank? Can you drill a tank like this?

Thanks! I am happy wiht the tank. I do want to eventually get a Low-Iron glass build. Either another Mr. Aqua, or an ADA or PiCO.

You can certainly drill this tank, and many have. Just search around for Mr. Aqua 11.4 and a few will pop up.

Thanks! I am happy wiht the tank. I do want to eventually get a Low-Iron glass build. Either another Mr. Aqua, or an ADA or PiCO.

You can certainly drill this tank, and many have. Just search around for Mr. Aqua 11.4 and a few will pop up.

Mr. Aqua says high clarity glass. Are you suggesting that it's not low iron or that you purchased prior to them using low iron glass? I've priced a similar ADA cube garden 45P and it would be about $90 more due to the $45 shipping charge as opposed to the Mr. Aqua from Marine Depot. In your opinion would that be worth it? I can't speak for Pico as they are not open yet.

Mr. Aqua says high clarity glass. Are you suggesting that it's not low iron or that you purchased prior to them using low iron glass? I've priced a similar ADA cube garden 45P and it would be about $90 more due to the $45 shipping charge as opposed to the Mr. Aqua from Marine Depot. In your opinion would that be worth it? I can't speak for Pico as they are not open yet.

Mr. Aqua makes regular glass aquariums, and low-iron versions. Check marinedepot.com

Mr. Aqua makes regular glass aquariums, and low-iron versions. Check marinedepot.com

OK, thanks for the info. So it would seam that they don't make a low iron in the same sizes, only 12x12x12 or 18x18x18. While the 12x12x12 was roughly the size I was originally considering the 11.4g seams like a perfect fit for my location. Curious if it would be worth it for the ADA. Would this tank be low iron? It doesn't specifically specify but of what I gather the do!aqua are the cheaper tanks with regular glass.

EDIT: I'm curious in low iron only because when I upgrade my main nano I'd be considering low iron on that.

OK, thanks for the info. So it would seam that they don't make a low iron in the same sizes, only 12x12x12 or 18x18x18. While the 12x12x12 was roughly the size I was originally considering the 11.4g seams like a perfect fit for my location. Curious if it would be worth it for the ADA. Would this tank be low iron? It doesn't specifically specify but of what I gather the do!aqua are the cheaper tanks with regular glass.

EDIT: I'm curious in low iron only because when I upgrade my main nano I'd be considering low iron on that.

That is a low-iron (or high clarity) glass tank yes. All ADA's are as far as I know. As far as if it's worth it... that's up to you and your budget. I had this tank laying around so I started it.

• Like 1

That is a low-iron (or high clarity) glass tank yes. All ADA's are as far as I know. As far as if it's worth it... that's up to you and your budget. I had this tank laying around so I started it.

Thanks again for the info. It would be in my budget, was just wondering if it was worth it. The tank itself is relatively cheap... It's the shipping that's killer.

• Like 1

Looks great!! :)

Thanks!

Thanks again for the info. It would be in my budget, was just wondering if it was worth it. The tank itself is relatively cheap... It's the shipping that's killer.

I would say it's worth it yes. If you like the dimensions, and plan on keping the tank running for a while, buy it. I have bought from aqua forest before they are great.

• Like 1

Yes got it assembled, then got sick Wednesday and haven't looked at the tank really since. Tossed in some flake today just to keep the one fish happy. Speaking of fish, I got rid of the goby, he never came out of the rocks and I was worried about him not eating, so he went back. I got a single clown now.

Good choice on returning the Goby.

• Like 1

Update! :)

Incoming.

Good choice on returning the Goby.

<_< wish the little bastard would have eaten, didn't feel like watching his demise.

I picked up a small "ARC Jet Black Clown". One of my local shops, A Reef Creation, breeds really nice all black clowns, even the juvy's are solid black, no orange mouths even! He is camera shy still. Good news is he buddied right up with the other small clown. They both seem to take turns being boss at this point, no fighting, just playful.

Just a couple photos...

I moved the single Acan to a plug and have been feeding mysis/reef chili every couple days. I hope to get it to start some babies. Any trick to getting the Acans to reproduce?

Lastly, I have had some brown algae (maybe diatoms or rusty cyano) on my sandbed for the last couple days. I started keeping the sand bed mixed up with a small wooden dowel. I imagine the mixing has sparked the outbreak. I'll give it a couple weeks to run it's course before I worry.

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 1

Acans are pigs, feed and they grow like gremlins.

That head gets probably 4-5 mysis every two days really. Are they usually a new head every week, or month type coral?

Behaves different in every tank. Like some 6 lines are Angels and some devils.

Yea I figured as much. You'd think I would have developed some patience since last time doing this reef thing...

Random question, are you still running that lighting schedule you posted a while back?

Short answer: Yes.

I have upped the two 180 ramp (or whatever the longer ones are) timers by about 6% (across all LED colors). In two 3% bumps. No specific schedule, just bumped those two a bit when I decided it was time. I think I actually added 3% to whites and 4% to blues each time, to achieve a bluer midday look.

Everything I have put under this schedule has opened and been happy quickly. No crazy growth yet but it's way too soon to tell. Tank is too young to expect a lot of growing. I am still getting feeding down and moving stuff too often.

Awesome, I'm using this schedule right now for the most part. Few things are changed, also the midday ramp time is at 1hr instead of what it had. I also upped the blues for a slightly bluer midday. Ill probably play with it more but overall I'm happy with it, thanks for posting it up.

Awesome, I'm using this schedule right now for the most part. Few things are changed, also the midday ramp time is at 1hr instead of what it had. I also upped the blues for a slightly bluer midday. Ill probably play with it more but overall I'm happy with it, thanks for posting it up.

No problem. I can't take credit for creating it, I found it in the AI Club thread I think. The guy said it "emulated NASA findings" or something. Which probably made everyone think he was drunk. I was drunk at the time and decided to try it :) Glad to see it's working for more than just me! I know a couple others have had success with it since.

Great looking acan! Nice job with the lighting and the tank!!!

Thank you! I really like your setup too. Gives me confidence this light can be successful.

Archived