Top Shelf Aquatics

.: Shaner014's 11.4 | New Photo's! :.

shaner014

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tank is looking great!

Thank you! I wish I could get some designer clowns like the one in your sig, just not in the budget yet. Haha. Thanks for dropping in!

Thank you! I wish I could get some designer clowns like the one in your sig, just not in the budget yet. Haha. Thanks for dropping in!

Your welcome, yea i waited a long time and finally found my pair of snowflakes on sale

Haha, will do. It was the first thing in the tank, so I'm kind of partial to it at this point! How would you even go about removing something like this from rock? Just pop it off with a screwdriver? No I'm not going to... Just curious!

Yeah, I understand the sentiment...I am going to have to find time to talk to Joe at SWP about one of these again... fingerscrossed

As for removing one from rock, I believe they just pop off, and a screwdriver (used carefully!) would probably work... :scarry:

Yeah, I understand the sentiment...I am going to have to find time to talk to Joe at SWP about one of these again... fingerscrossed

As for removing one from rock, I believe they just pop off, and a screwdriver (used carefully!) would probably work... :scarry:

He must not inspect the new rock too carefully when it comes in, because this thing isn't tiny. yet he told me he resells them usually. Maybe I got lucky? What are these things worth?

I've been meaning to get back to you on frags, you have anything you want to thin out?

He must not inspect the new rock too carefully when it comes in, because this thing isn't tiny. yet he told me he resells them usually. Maybe I got lucky? What are these things worth?

I've been meaning to get back to you on frags, you have anything you want to thin out?

Yeah, I look for them every time I go in, and have only ever found truly dead ones - you must have gotten lucky! They cannot be sold as individually collected corals per law, and so must only be allowed as hitchhikers on cultured liverock.

As for frags - I did have a couple of pieces as was going to trade/ sell, but decided to do the 10g --> 40g upgrade and figured I would put the corals to use in the bigger tank. I do still have one nice small green and red brain I have considered parting with if something good came along in trade though.... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Got an RO/DI system from BRS on the way.

Also picked up a 3 polyp frag of Sunny D's last night. Been waiting for these! Will try to snap some pics...

thats sick man. :D

Thanks! The high tech planted tank was by far more tedious to maintain. Cheaper, but like a chore. I enjoy the mini reef immensely more, only catch is the mature look takes ~1 year as opposed to 2 months.

Wow the water level on the planted. Both tanks look good

Thank you sir. I said the same thing looking back at that planted pic. I don't remember it being that high? haha

Any turn around in your tank?

Thank you sir. I said the same thing looking back at that planted pic. I don't remember it being that high? haha

Any turn around in your tank?

Not sure, I've been away on a work trip the past week. Not many corals left, but hopefully they're still alive. Ordered some more test kits and a bubble magus dosing pump. Local frag swap on April 14, so need to get everything good by then.

Congrats on the RO/DI :P I have the same one only the Chloramines version. Works great!

If at all possible, can you post pics about your ELOS osmocontroller? I'm thinking of that for my next equipment purchase, but can't find any solid photos or instructions online :P Just simple pics of the device and where the parts located if at all possible :D Thanks!

how much room does it take in the display?

Before getting into reefing myself i was torn between that and planted, but obviously made the right choice!

Congrats on the RO/DI :P I have the same one only the Chloramines version. Works great!

If at all possible, can you post pics about your ELOS osmocontroller? I'm thinking of that for my next equipment purchase, but can't find any solid photos or instructions online :P Just simple pics of the device and where the parts located if at all possible :D Thanks!

how much room does it take in the display?

Before getting into reefing myself i was torn between that and planted, but obviously made the right choice!

Thanks! I'm loving being able to make my own water! The BRS unit is fantastic in my book, got the float switch and a 20 gallon Brute with a Uniseal and PVC ball Valve spigot setup too.

As far as the ELOS. Don't hesitate. Rehype loved his, and so does Brad908, and Jaypagi. I have the pump in a 5 gallon bucket under my stand. With a hole cut in the lid to allow the tube and power cable to pass through. No pics of that, it isn't anything to look at anyways. I have the controller mounted to the inside of the cabinet as well. It's an open back cabinet so no risk of humidity build up.

The sensor itself I got creative. I used the plastic cable catch that comes with the device to mount it to the side of my AC70. The cable catch is just a piece of plastic that allows a small zip tie to pass through it. I super-glued the cable catch to the inlet wall on the outside of the filter (just above water level), and zip-tied the sensor to the catch.

It took me about 30 minutes of tinkering to set-up my first time around. You have to unplug and replug after each move of the sensor to reset the thing (in my experience). Once I got it where I wanted, I haven't touched it. I don't even unplug during water changes because I have water out and back in within 5 minutes.

I used black vinyl tubing from Home Depot and some fittings to create my return, as it doesn't come with any tubing. I wasn't mad about that... some people seem to complain, but they are missing out on a great ATO (my first ever, and last ever).

Pics... excuse the salt creep, as you'll soon find out, its a daily occurrence, and always worse looking with flash on.

Thanks! I'm loving being able to make my own water! The BRS unit is fantastic in my book, got the float switch and a 20 gallon Brute with a Uniseal and PVC ball Valve spigot setup too.

As far as the ELOS. Don't hesitate. Rehype loved his, and so does Brad908, and Jaypagi. I have the pump in a 5 gallon bucket under my stand. With a hole cut in the lid to allow the tube and power cable to pass through. No pics of that, it isn't anything to look at anyways. I have the controller mounted to the inside of the cabinet as well. It's an open back cabinet so no risk of humidity build up.

The sensor itself I got creative. I used the plastic cable catch that comes with the device to mount it to the side of my AC70. The cable catch is just a piece of plastic that allows a small zip tie to pass through it. I super-glued the cable catch to the inlet wall on the outside of the filter (just above water level), and zip-tied the sensor to the catch.

It took me about 30 minutes of tinkering to set-up my first time around. You have to unplug and replug after each move of the sensor to reset the thing (in my experience). Once I got it where I wanted, I haven't touched it. I don't even unplug during water changes because I have water out and back in within 5 minutes.

I used black vinyl tubing from Home Depot and some fittings to create my return, as it doesn't come with any tubing. I wasn't mad about that... some people seem to complain, but they are missing out on a great ATO (my first ever, and last ever).

Pics... excuse the salt creep, as you'll soon find out, its a daily occurrence, and always worse looking with flash on.

[snip]

I would not go through all this trouble if I didn't absolutely stand behind this product. Hope you (or someone) find this helpful!

Wow the pics are exactly what I was after, thanks for your troubles!

Wow the pics are exactly what I was after, thanks for your troubles!

Glad to help! Hope to see it on your tank soon.

Glad to help! Hope to see it on your tank soon.

Oh someday for sure. Soon? Ugh stocking plans have come to a bit of a hault as I have to buckle down and save for a dumb cruise :closedeyes:

Here is this same tank and stand in its past life:

8517830354_60fb5d64dc_b.jpg

IMG_1581 by chubbyreefer, on Flickr

I've always thought if one can do a planted FW tank like that, then venturing into reefing would be easy. You just proved that.

I've always thought if one can do a planted FW tank like that, then venturing into reefing would be easy. You just proved that.

I actually reefed first! But I agree, reefing is easier if you put in the time to research and go slow. I wouldn't do a high-light planted ever again.

Not a lot new to report. Still tweaking the lighting schedule every few days (adding intensity and shortening ramp to max). Everything is healthy, some stuff better than others as far as growth. I think I was too conservative with initial intensities. Im up to around 35W 55B 70RB at max for ~90 minutes, w/ a 120m ramp up.

Lost that torch.. :furious: I moved it around too much I think, never settled in. Tried a Revive dip towards the end. No bueno. I got my eye on a longer tentacle larger version w/ similar color. A false "Todd's."

Should be refund week, so MP10 is looming. Trying to track down a stand to refinish a la Brad908 too.

Ugly RO/DI equipment setup, cause at least it's a picture.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/atd/3611539242.html

I think that buffet/credenza would look good refinished and new hardware. Should see how much you can buy it separately for

Edit

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/atd/3611540579.html

$175

Haha thanks, I did see that! I have a couple offers out to people. I want something with some more depth in the doors like yours, I had a line on something yesterday but he cancelled on me. I'm in no rush, Im contemplating getting a bit bigger tank too (Mr. Aqua 25g Cube, or an ADA like yours), but who knows.

Archived