Top Shelf Aquatics

B's Mantis PicO - UPDATE 11/14/13

jbb

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ninja. You have to stop pfaffing around and post updates. Or I'm coming ovah dere to make you. :furious:

Im working on it , but you are still welcome to come over if you must.

Im working on it , but you are still welcome to come over if you must.

Sounds like an invite Kat... Better hurry up and take it! :P

o come on you. i wasnt wrong. :P

Ninja. You have to stop pfaffing around and post updates. Or I'm coming ovah dere to make you. :furious:

:slap:

Sounds like an invite Kat... Better hurry up and take it! :P

New bebies

IMG_13141_zps72b49850.jpg

• 1 month later...

Everything from the pico was moved to the 33. scape is being redone this weekend to get ready for the new arrival :

Neogonodactylus wennerae

Placed the order today , so we should have life Tuesday or Wednesday depending on day of shipment. Ive been out of town , so today is daddy / daughter day , and tonight is daddy / pico time . Should have pics up of the new scape tomorrow (hopefully sooner).

I made a PVC den with the hopes of it being used for a home. I plan to use epoxy around the opening of the pipe to help blend it with the surrounding rock. One thing I am having trouble with is deciding if I should epoxy/glue my entire scape together or just free stack it. I plan to have a small amount of loose rubble so it can decorate as needed , but I'm not sure if they move the scape any.

Ideas and suggestions are welcomed and encouraged .

Oh , and just in case it matters . All of the rock work will be done with small pieces of rock, that's why Im curious about if they are major rock movers.

Pics !!!!! omgomgomg

IMG_16061_zps865e3ce5.jpg

IMG_16081_zpsb4b92214.jpg

I wanted 3 entry/exit points, but with such a small tank it was pretty much impossible. I used 1" pvc for it even though I am dealing with a smaller mantis, anything under 1" looked too small. This will probably be the final design of the PVC mansion, but I will continue to tweak it throughout the day to see if I can come up with something better.

Islandoftiki

I made a PVC den with the hopes of it being used for a home. I plan to use epoxy around the opening of the pipe to help blend it with the surrounding rock. One thing I am having trouble with is deciding if I should epoxy/glue my entire scape together or just free stack it. I plan to have a small amount of loose rubble so it can decorate as needed , but I'm not sure if they move the scape any.

Ideas and suggestions are welcomed and encouraged .

Oh , and just in case it matters . All of the rock work will be done with small pieces of rock, that's why Im curious about if they are major rock movers.

Mantis will move small pieces of rubble; less so if they have a pre-made home. You should provide your mantis with little bits of rubble to build with, and don't be surprised if small pieces sometimes get moved.

I wouldn't imagine your mantis will move anything much larger an a marble, so you should be fine with free stacking unless you're using tiny pieces of rock, and then you'd still be fine if you don't mind them being creatively re-arranged.

I wanted 3 entry/exit points, but with such a small tank it was pretty much impossible. I used 1" pvc for it even though I am dealing with a smaller mantis, anything under 1" looked too small. This will probably be the final design of the PVC mansion, but I will continue to tweak it throughout the day to see if I can come up with something better.

That looks awesome. The diameter is a little large, but your mantis will probably fill in the entrances and make them smaller. They like an entrance that is just large enough for them to fit in.

Islandoftiki

I made the PVC pipe too large for my G. Viridis and he filled in the in the entrance to his liking. Then he abandoned the pipe and built his own home in the live rock.

That looks awesome. The diameter is a little large, but your mantis will probably fill in the entrances and make them smaller. They like an entrance that is just large enough for them to fit in.

I have 1/2" & 3/4" that I could use. Do you think one of those would be better ? Also I planned to epoxy some rubble around the opening , so the visible diameter will be smaller after that .

Thanks for the input

Islandoftiki

JBB texted me said he couldn't wait to go home and play with his shrimp. :unsure:

It must be a guy thing. I'm the same way... ;)

Horrible iPhone pics , but the little dude seems to be finding its way around pretty well.

IMG_16251_zpsf2884294.jpg

IMG_16291_zps55626225.jpg

IMG_16311_zps300c3f6a.jpg

I got extremely frustrated when scaping, so for now its just a pile-O'-rox .

IMG_16261_zpsf0c76671.jpg

Archived