Innovative Marine Aquariums

B's Mantis PicO - UPDATE 11/14/13

jbb

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I signed up but never updated it as I wanted it to be from an android app. I might download the ipad app to see if I update it.

Usually in my test kits I have a little sheet where I record my test results. I post them on my thread and for a while I even had a spread sheet but the little paper in my test kit boxes helps.

VERY BAD NEWS :

Pico crashed a few days ago. Lost pretty much everything , even zoas. Not really sure what caused it. I did a water change , and POOF everything was gone in about 2 hours. I used the same salt as what the tank was setup with , same bucket even. I checked all params with the exception of the PH , so that may have been it. But I checked it after the fact and the PH was spot on . Raniford goby and pom pom crab made it , but I lost the green banded goby.

SOOOOO
Tank is back up and running , going to let it just chill for a bit before adding anything. Will probably add some pods, let them populate the tank , stock up on the small beneficial critters. Then get going with the coral / inverts, if I do add fish this time around it will only be if I can get these
Trimma maiandros
Trimma-maiandros.jpg
OR
Yasha / pistol
100_2683.JPG
Those are all that I will consider.
Thanks to those who have been part of this thread so far , it will be back to being a reef soon.

Trimma maiandros would do it for me. either way you go it will be cool.

They are pretty awesome, but I cant find them ANYWHERE . My LFS who usually has the odd stuff is going to search for me too. Hopefully they get lucky.

:o

come back Bryan!

Im not going anywhere , I could never leave my Kat.

:blush:

What happened to the SPS, from the thread you started about it RTNing on you?

That is on my 33 , and was in the past. I had set that tank up with the idea of it being SPS dominant, but when I started having issues with RTN , I sort of gave up on the idea. Then the bug bit me again , so I am trying to get everything right before adding any SPS pieces. Being that I wasnt quite sure what was going on before, I started that thread as a way to get ideas of what to look at before adding anything new. My LPS, zoas, rock nem, etc. all look great in that tank , but I'm not sure its SPS worthy right now. I am starting a VERY LOW amount of GFO tomorrow based on some of the discussion in that thread. Hopefully it will be ready to go by march, we have the Coral Farmers Market & Next Wave on the 9th. Would like to snag some pieces then.

That is on my 33 , and was in the past. I had set that tank up with the idea of it being SPS dominant, but when I started having issues with RTN , I sort of gave up on the idea. Then the bug bit me again , so I am trying to get everything right before adding any SPS pieces. Being that I wasnt quite sure what was going on before, I started that thread as a way to get ideas of what to look at before adding anything new. My LPS, zoas, rock nem, etc. all look great in that tank , but I'm not sure its SPS worthy right now. I am starting a VERY LOW amount of GFO tomorrow based on some of the discussion in that thread. Hopefully it will be ready to go by march, we have the Coral Farmers Market & Next Wave on the 9th. Would like to snag some pieces then.

ah, okay.

Wow that sux.Maybe something fell into the bucket like air freshener.I hope it didnt leach into the rock and sand.

I honestly have no idea. All of my snails made it, and are still in the tank along with the pom pom crab. The raniford has been moved to my 33 , so the crab is lonely now. LOL

I ran a full line of tests today and everything looks good , I need to update my SIG to the new results but its close to the same. One thing that is confusing the hell out of me is that I used the same batch of water on my 33 and nothing bad happened there. Now the 33 has way better filtration, but nothing even closed up. I wish I knew what it was, but for now it remains a mystery.

Imo leaving the tank lights on during a wc can over expose the coral to light and cause stress.My friend did it on his 55 all the time before he got coral and the first time he left them on with a small frag of zoas they never opened again.

This does not explain for the fish loss though.

I have done it this way for years and have never had an issue before , nor have I ever heard of turning them out for a water change . My lights also swing out of the way for access to the tank, so if that were the way to do it I'm sort of covered by the fact that the lights are not directly over the tank during a change.

I have done it this way for years and have never had an issue before , nor have I ever heard of turning them out for a water change . My lights also swing out of the way for access to the tank, so if that were the way to do it I'm sort of covered by the fact that the lights are not directly over the tank during a change.

I've never shut off lights, in fact if actinics are on I make a point of turning on all other lights to do a WC. Imagine using an MJ1200 to suck out the water and your $55/polyp space monsters decide to free float at that particular time. :blink:

I've never shut off lights, in fact if actinics are on I make a point of turning on all other lights to do a WC. Imagine using an MJ1200 to suck out the water and your $55/polyp space monsters decide to free float at that particular time. :blink:

hehehehehe

Kat likes to do it with the lights on :D

:blush:

Im sorry im just curious if it is necessary or not.Even though it will not directly affect my tank cause my fixture covers the top of my tank i have to remove it anyways.This can help me with future builds though.

Reeftech, keep your lights on. Zoanthids or any other coral get pissed off for no reason often times. I've never heard of anyone who shuts off lights for a water change. In nature there are vast areas of coal reefs that are exposed to air and intense sunlight during low tide, ebbs and flows. Corals not only do fine, they thrive even in that environment.

• Like 1

Im sorry im just curious if it is necessary or not.Even though it will not directly affect my tank cause my fixture covers the top of my tank i have to remove it anyways.This can help me with future builds though.

Kat is correct . You can go either way, but no harm will come from having the lights on. I would worry about air exposure way before I woud ever worry about lights, especially in the house where air fresheners, perfumes, etc. are used. I have placed a ban on aerosols in my house anywhere near my tank, anyone possessing them will be shot on site.

With my current setup i have to move my fixture to do a water change but i will definitely keep the hint in mind.

Yeah i had a lady ask me why she couldnt keep anything alive and come to find out she had one of those automatic air fresheners above her tank and all around the house.

Yeah i cringe when i hear aerosol in the house.

Kat is correct . You can go either way, but no harm will come from having the lights on. I would worry about air exposure way before I woud ever worry about lights, especially in the house where air fresheners, perfumes, etc. are used. I have placed a ban on aerosols in my house anywhere near my tank, anyone possessing them will be shot on site.

Would you like to show me your gun? :haha:

Archived