inTank Media Baskets

Seiryoku's 60g (Poor Quality) Lee Mar Starphire Cube

Seiryoku

In other words they don't want to deal with you any more unless your tank blows out. Wow. Plus for what you paid I would defiantly never do business with them again.

That is what I got from his response (sadly). Not entirely sure why he would CC it to his tank builder though.

Seems he didnt want to comment on the quality of the builds.

He didn't comment on it at all. Think I want confirmation from him that what I received (the 2nd time) is the absolute best they can produce.

Either way, I think this thread and his response is a pretty good representation of what Lee Mar is about these days and I'm glad to get this out there. The name "Lee Mar" has always meant something and people never questioned it when talking about quality and customer service. Looks like that isn't the case any more and I hope Lee Mar doesn't get to continue the free ride on their past reputation.

• Like 1
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to start working on the plumbing! Going to be fun fitting everything in the stand...plumbing, electrical, reactors, etc. Will be like a giant three dimensional puzzle!

Think I'll get some pegboard to mount the Apex and MP10 controller on, maybe see about putting it on the inside of the door and the EB8 behind a 2x4 the door attaches to (doesn't make much sense until I post a picture I'm sure). Going to keep all of the wiring nice and neat wrapped in wire organizer.

Probably mount the Radion power supply (and battery backups when I get them) on the back of the stand since I have to leave a space between the wall and stand for the MP10 on the back of the tank.

Either this:

8087303-cable-organizer-on-white-backgro

Or this:

400-955__14873.1354665853.315.315.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the other tank. The replacement is alot better but not perfect.

Going to try and get it out of the crate tonight...the tank/crate weigh 220 pounds! Have to get it inside and up on the stand...will have to recruit a neighbor.

Going to try and get it out of the crate tonight...the tank/crate weigh 220 pounds! Have to get it inside and up on the stand...will have to recruit a neighbor.

Come on you little girl. :)

Lee Mar warranty card states:

The surface the aquarium rests on must be perfectly flat and level. Using a long straight-edge, check the surface front to back, side to side, and corner to corner. If there are any high or low spots, the surface is not appropriate. This must be corrected prior to installation. Foam or sponge rubber pads will not make up for imperfections as they simply amplify the pressure on the high spots while filling the low spots. The hard surface itself that the aquarium rests on must be perfectly flat.

The stand Lee Mar sent me for my 24x24x24 cube, according to their very own warranty card, is not acceptable!!! Will be sending Mark Boyd another email concerning this.

20130213_212903_zps3d0714f5.jpg

Decided to measure the 24x24x24 cube and found something disappointing, the front pane of glass is 1/16" out of square. Call me picky, but that simply doesn't seem right. Is it common for custom built tanks to not be square and or the size ordered?

This is the bottom of the front pane.

20130213_215935_zpsb3886ccf.jpg

This is the top of the front pane.

20130213_215905_zpsba4b760b.jpg

man after all this why not just get your money back and go with someone else? reefsavvy maybe?

This is a very real possibility at this point... Working on an email to Lee Mar right now.

1/16".... You need to start enjoying the hobby instead of nitpicking this stuff that has no effect on your tank.

When you pay as much as you do for some of these tanks, you want them to be perfect. People have a habit of just saying well I'll just deal with it, but if I'm paying good money for something... It's going to be perfect.

• Like 3

1/16".... You need to start enjoying the hobby instead of nitpicking this stuff that has no effect on your tank.

It may seem silly to some, but it is incredibly annoying to me. Especially on top of everything wrong with the originals...any thing being off on replacements is just silly on their part.

Do you know what happens to something like a cube if even one part of it is out of square? It throws the entire thing out of whack and while Mark Boyd says there is no problem warrantying the tank...is it 100% safe to fill a 24" tall completely rimless tank that isn't square?

Dude i have a 370gallon tank that isnt squared perfect, off by a 32nd and it is fine.... I payed a pretty penny more then a 24x24x24 cube thats for sure. longofficetank is wright enjoy the hobby and live with it for real.. I bet you buy a brandnew car and dont start taking off the fenders ,hood ,trunk ,doors just to make sure they used the equal ammounts of body sealent on all sides and that paint actually got under and over the rocker panels and that each wire isnt streched more then a 1/4 lenght to put less stress in the inner wires!! Come on dude its a bad ass tank an awesome build you have planned lets see you make a cool build..

U are picky. (You said to say it!!)

Also the passage you quote here is preceded by: "If you are not buying a new stand with your aquarium..." so you're still covered! :-)

Personally I think your replacement photos look like acceptable stuff, but good luck with whatever course you pursue!

(Regarding the thread overall: You must have back problems from sitting on a wallet that fat man! LOL)

Good luck!

-Matt

Lee Mar warranty card states:

The surface the aquarium rests on must be perfectly flat and level. Using a long straight-edge, check the surface front to back, side to side, and corner to corner. If there are any high or low spots, the surface is not appropriate. This must be corrected prior to installation. Foam or sponge rubber pads will not make up for imperfections as they simply amplify the pressure on the high spots while filling the low spots. The hard surface itself that the aquarium rests on must be perfectly flat.

The stand Lee Mar sent me for my 24x24x24 cube, according to their very own warranty card, is not acceptable!!! Will be sending Mark Boyd another email concerning this.

20130213_212903_zps3d0714f5.jpg

Personally, I'd be pissed becaused they promised high quality the 2nd time around. Tank and stands from Petco are better quality. No one could blame you for sending the whole thing back and start over with a top quality vendor.

fyi, I got a 34 gal solona cube with three sides of low iron glass for $160 from MD. It's almost flawless.

Having said all that, once everthing is set up you may never notice or care about these imperfections.

• Like 1

U are picky. (You said to say it!!)

Also the passage you quote here is preceded by: "If you are not buying a new stand with your aquarium..." so you're still covered! :-)

Personally I think your replacement photos look like acceptable stuff, but good luck with whatever course you pursue!

(Regarding the thread overall: You must have back problems from sitting on a wallet that fat man! LOL)

Good luck!

-Matt

I spent well over a year saving the money for these tanks (and still went over budget) :( My wallet is flatter than a pancake on a rabbits head right now.

My latest email to Mark Boyd at Lee Mar:

Mark,

It would seem you missed me asking if what I received is truly the best your company can produce as you told me that is what I would be receiving as replacements for my first defective order. If what I received is the best your company can produce I'd like to have it confirmed by you.

After reading the warranty card found on the bottom of the main display area of the tank I've come to the conclusion, using said warranty card, that the stand for the 24x24x24 aquarium is not acceptable for use.

"The surface the aquarium rests on must be perfectly flat and level. Using a long straight-edge, check the surface front to back, side to side, and corner to corner. If there are any high or low spots, the surface is not appropriate. This must be corrected prior to installation. Foam or sponge rubber pads will not make up for imperfections as they simply amplify the pressure on the high spots while filling the low spots. The hard surface itself that the aquarium rests on must be perfectly flat."

The stand you sent me does not meet the above requirements and I'd like to know what you intend to do about it.

There is also an issue with the dimensions of the 24x24x24 cube. While measuring it this evening I discovered that the front pane of glass is not square (as well as the back pane of glass being out of square which I previously pointed out to you). When measured across the top it is 23 15/16", but when measured at the bottom it is 24". Is it common for your aquariums to be out of square and not to the exact dimensions ordered? Would also like to know what you intend to do about this.

You can view pictures (also attached to this email), as well as read what people think of my experience with Lee Mar, by visiting the links below. Also note the sloppy untrimmed silicone squished out of the seam in the picture "tankbottom.jpg".

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313953-seiryokus-60g-poor-quality-lee-mar-starphire-cube/page-6#entry4202083
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317604-anyone-with-a-lee-mar-rimless-tank-get-in-here-please-update-page-7/page-8#entry4202084

The below comment is by someone who picked up tanks manufactured by Lee Mar this past Saturday.
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317604-anyone-with-a-lee-mar-rimless-tank-get-in-here-please-update-page-7/page-7#entry4198647

I await your prompt and thorough response.

Thank You,
Brandon Hodges

His response:

Mr. Hodges,

You have asked a series of questions that can ultimately be answered by 2 points:

1. Lee-Mar Aquarium & Pet Supplies stands behind its work. We warranty every item we produce and likewise, we will stand behind your items as well.

2. All the items we produce are handmade using materials that are either natural materials or manmade materials that inherently have minor imperfections.

All manufacturers of glass ship their materials with an “acceptable level” of inclusions or minor flaws to us. Likewise, all wood suppliers sell products that are made from natural products and a certain level of variances and minor defects are to be expected.

Our products, like the products manufactured by all aquarium manufacturers, are not made to the standards you would find in the computer hardware or aviation industries. By virtue of the materials we use and the nature of the handmade process that is required to produce aquariums, there will be some very minor aesthetic issues in every item we produce. Our reputation over the years has been built on the fact that we pay closer attention to those issues than our completion does. My guess is that if you took a high power zoom lens and square to your coffee table, end table, garage door, or any other professionally produced item in your house, you would find very minor aesthetic issues as well.

If you are looking for reassurance regarding the structural integrity of your aquariums and stands, you have it. As I stated in my previous email, you should expect to have many years of enjoyment with all four items. Lee-Mar has been a family business since 1975 and will be around for many years to come. You have two Aquariums and two stands that reflect the high end of the aquarium industry standards. They are ready for water and your enjoyment. Set up your aquariums, and enjoy the rewarding challenge of owning reef aquariums.

Mark Boyd

Vice President of Operations

Lee-Mar Aquarium & Pet Supplies

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I mean I have noticed slight flaws in my rimless tanks but they are extremely minor and only due to the fact that whenever you cut something(glass especially) there is a slight natural error sometimes. These obviously where not my fault when I build tanks because I don't cut my own glass. I agree with the response I mean it is what it is and if something happens they are under warranty so I would just move on and enjoy the hobby.

Archived