Cultivated Reef

squirrel's IM 38, now that my butt-hurt is over...

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl
I love your scape and the tank is looking great now that you have your coral in the tank. I'm sad I missed your last build but this one is pretty awesome so far. I'm hoping I have my 30 gal nuvo up and running within the month so then we can give eachother tips and tricks on the tank. :)

Awesome jg,

I appreciate the kind words. :)

I would really like that, let me know when you start a thread!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May not be all that your former tanks had, but the corals you've still got to continue on the legacy are gorgeous! Excited to see what the tank color looks like with the two PAR bulbs added on.

Awesome jg,

I appreciate the kind words. :)

I would really like that, let me know when you start a thread!

I have a thread now its just not very exciting yet. It's in the members section under 3+14=30 gallons of awesome.

squirrelieygrrrl

DSC06296.jpg

Who doesn't love a happy clam? I'm an advocate for sure. :naughtydance:

DSC03643.jpg

same clam, febuary of 2011

DSC06299.jpg

the best shot I could muster of the plate

DSC06310.jpg

the not so sunset sunset montipora, hopefully the color comes back.

DSC06326.jpg

A skinny mandarin, the little boy hasnt weathered the tank stress so well. Now before the mandarin police come to take me away for floggings know that I have pods on the way (scheduled to be here tomorrow) and I have been working to retrain him back on frozen food. For what ever reason he decided to forget that the frozen mysis and formula one pellets that I had been feeding him was suitable when we moved him. Not to mention I can't imagine living in a bucket for a week did him much good.

Jamie,

That is very kind of you to say, thank you so much. :)

JG,

I'm headed over to your thread shortly to check it out.

squirrelieygrrrl

So after receiving my order from reefs2go I will probably never order from them again.

I requested that they not send the anemone that was included in the nano cuc package, however it showed up and now I have to figure out what to do with the damn thing...... No heat pack, everything was damned cold. the snails and crabs were miniscule, not worth the money. The mushroom was freefloating in a bag loose...... The only thing that was worth it was the pods I received, beyond that I wont be ordering from them again. ugh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love your tank, fish selection, and the aquascape! I'm seriously thinking about getting the same tank. Can you tell me where you bought your live rocks? Also, I noticed your mystery wrasse still has his stripes. I heard that the ones from Vanuatu can keep there stripes. Is yours from Vanuatu as opposed to the Marshall Islands? If so, where did you get him? Keep the photos and updates coming.

Thanks,

SeaSkull

• 6 months later...
squirrelieygrrrl

Well I had about a 9 month bout of reefing butt hurt.

I think I'm over that now...

I lost quite a bit more since I was here last, mostly due to my missing 'give a damn'. Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I'm back to give it another go.

Today I added my bubble magus nac 3 to the middle chamber, which may be gross overkill. I don't know why I didn't think of putting it in there before. It took a bit of finagling, and adding some longer return lines so it would fit, but it seems to be working ok. Despite the tight quarters. I will however have to stay on top of top offs to keep the water level in there consistent.

In a couple of days my AI Vega will be on its way, I'm going to attempt to fab up a bracket to attach it to a kessil gooseneck, I'll post pics and a shopping list of what I'm planning and how it goes when it gets here.

Hey Asureef,

A tediously late reply, but here I am none the less. I've had that mystery wrasse for almost two years in both the cad and the I'm uncovered with no incident. Knock on wood and fingers crossed it stays that way.

SeaSkull,

Thanks for the compliments! The rock I special ordered a few years back from my Los, it's called tokota. I'm not sure where he was collected, but thus far he seems to be keeping his stripes, so possibly a Vanuatu collected specimen? I think I ordered him from live aquaria's diver's den.

Now a couple of hideous iPad pics.... I was too lazy to dig out my camera and laptop.

null-2.jpg

null-1.jpg

null.jpg

(damn autocorrect)

squirrelieygrrrl

Well after a few hours more of tinkering with the bm nac3 it may not work out. It's putting a metric f*** ton of micro bubbles into the display due to the lack of a bubble trap.

I wonder if there is a way to fab something up to help with this issue.....

I'll have to wait and see if it calms down a bit after it gets past the break in period after being cleaned...

squirrelieygrrrl

Maybe......

Lulz. It may not work out though. A little expieriment I started today.

squirrelieygrrrl

Welcome back :happydance:I'm happy to see you still have Lunch. :happy:

Thanks Love,

The Lunchers is a little trooper, he's got to be about 5 years old now.

squirrelieygrrrl

Well I seemed to have further muddied my nac3 expieriment, that's what I get for tinkering.

I cleaned the Venturi on it and some how made it produce way less bubbles and made it much noisier. Guess I'll have to strip it down and see what happened after work tonight.

Is it OCD if I keep tracking the package with my new vega like every 20 minutes to see if it has moved from Visalia CA?

I'm not going to lie, you have a pretty inspiring story, despite disaster.

Mahalo (Thank you) for always being concerned with the animals first ^_^

Often people just brush aside a lost coral or fish, its great that so many care about every organism in their tanks.

Good luck with the techy setup and damn what an impressive maroon!

squirrelieygrrrl
I'm not going to lie, you have a pretty inspiring story, despite disaster.

Mahalo (Thank you) for always being concerned with the animals first ^_^

Often people just brush aside a lost coral or fish, its great that so many care about every organism in their tanks.

Good luck with the techy setup and damn what an impressive maroon!

Thank you so much Moolelo!

I really appreciate that. :D

Did your vega make it in yet? I absolutely love your clam, I think that will be my next introduction to my tank after I move. I'm glad to see you back.

squirrelieygrrrl

nothing worse than damn micro bubbles... so annoying...

Ikr!? They seem to have diminished, along with a lot of the noise while I was at work. I wonder if I stuffed the output with filter floss if that would help.... Hmmm,. To tinker or not to tinker.

Did your vega make it in yet? I absolutely love your clam, I think that will be my next introduction to my tank after I move. I'm glad to see you back.

Nope :( but it did leave Visalia.... Finally :) I'm planning on doing a thread just for my fabbed up kessil turned ai gooseneck.

That dersa has been damn near bullet proof, albeit not the most pretty clam I've ever seen. I love her tons, even if she is ginormous.

HEY! Nice to see you back, I have a nac 3 infront of me right now and damn that must be a big rear chamber in your 38!

squirrelieygrrrl
HEY! Nice to see you back, I have a nac 3 infront of me right now and damn that must be a big rear chamber in your 38!
P

Thanks! It's good to be back. It is barely big enough, I've been toying around with the idea of modding one of the media basket chambers to put the nac3 in there instead. So I don't have to constantly fight with micro bubbles and water level issues.

squirrelieygrrrl
A big welcome back. I get burned out frm time to time. I just came off a few month break myself.

Hey ya Lawn! Thanks. :) it kind of broke my little reefer heart to loose so many years of hardwork and so many corals, aside from my dream tank being put out of commission. The combination was a bit too much to bear. My wifey was the one limping the IM along for the past 9 months.

Archived