Coral Vue Hydros

squirrel's IM 38, now that my butt-hurt is over...

squirrelieygrrrl

SouthFlorida_Tron
SFT,

$4500!? :o Wow, ok. Fair enough.

Ya lol, my macro lens and daily zoom lens were about 2250 combined right there. Lol

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is tht a mystery wrasse? If so have you had any issues with it going after shrimp? I don't see any shrimp in the tank but if you have kept any in the past have you had issues?

squirrelieygrrrl
Is tht a mystery wrasse? If so have you had any issues with it going after shrimp? I don't see any shrimp in the tank but if you have kept any in the past have you had issues?

I have had shrimp with him, a coral banded with no issues. However the coral banded was large enough and agressive enough to hold his own. Really the issues I've had with the Mystery is him going after other fish, he thinks the tank is his and is terribly territorial.

Here is a slightly better pic of him, he is damn hard to capture.

DSC06212.jpg

Wow that's an amazing picture! I am thinking about trying a mystery wrasse in my 30. If I do I might add it last due to the issues you have had with yours. Hopefully adding it last will help it be less territorial.

squirrelieygrrrl

Thanks!

One amazing one out of about 20! lol. I had initially added him last into the 40 cad with a solorensis wrasse and a juvenile corris. He bullied the solorensis to starvation and the corris into jumping. I also had tried to add a blenny at one point which he terrorized to death as well. Even though I had rearranged and sumped him for a week after adding the blenny.

However he has had no interest at all in the clown or the mandarin.

I'm wondering if it has to do with body shape and coloration.

squirrelieygrrrl

Well after some serious digging I think I've settled on RapidLED's 4 color par38. I think it will offer the best blend with the windex blue kessil.

Still undecided on a skimmer, off to the mines for more digging.

In other news tomorrow I will be bringing all of my coral over from Amber's classroom tank (whats left of it anyway). On Tuesday a shipment from reefs2go with fresh cuc and a few other goodies will be coming.

Well after some serious digging I think I've settled on RapidLED's 4 color par38. I think it will offer the best blend with the windex blue kessil.

Still undecided on a skimmer, off to the mines for more digging.

In other news tomorrow I will be bringing all of my coral over from Amber's classroom tank (whats left of it anyway). On Tuesday a shipment from reefs2go with fresh cuc and a few other goodies will be coming.

Looking forward to how they look on your tank!

Btw, what is the coral that Lunch is being "hosted" by in the earlier pics?

squirrelieygrrrl

So last night the mystery made an attempt at carpet surfing. I heard a splat and saw him go flying out of the corner of my eye. I of course scooped him back up and tossed him back in the tank.

I'm considering putting the glass top that came with the tank on if it weren't so hideous. Not to mention i'm concerned about it reducing the lights intensity.

So last night the mystery made an attempt at carpet surfing. I heard a splat and saw him go flying out of the corner of my eye. I of course scooped him back up and tossed him back in the tank.

I'm considering putting the glass top that came with the tank on if it weren't so hideous. Not to mention i'm concerned about it reducing the lights intensity.

I have the IM 8 Gallon and I hate the way the top looks. The clips are just so unsightly and take away from the cool rimless look.

Maybe you could make a mesh screen that would sit on it? Something thin so it wasn't as noticeable?

squirrelieygrrrl

_DSC6218.jpg

I have the IM 8 Gallon and I hate the way the top looks. The clips are just so unsightly and take away from the cool rimless look.

Maybe you could make a mesh screen that would sit on it? Something thin so it wasn't as noticeable?

I agree completely, though I feel any top, mesh or otherwise is hideous on a rimless. Totally negates the whole point.

I'm not sure I could fab up some kind of mesh top that would look any better. My diy skills are atrocious. lol

squirrelieygrrrl

I have definitely been mia... I started a new career (investment banker with JPMorgan), got engaged to the love of my life, moved, and then moved again into our newly purchased home (which is fabulous). None of which was kind to the CAD and it subsequently fell into disrepair and during the second move the sump cracked and the pos stand from cad was falling apart (so its garaged until further notice).

There is a year in a nutshell. :lol:

I do indeed still have Lunch, he has gotten so big. page 3 has a new shot of him.

How ya been Lawn?

squirrelieygrrrl

What was left from the CAD, kind of bums me out a bit knowing that this is all that was left after the various problems with that tank. There are a couple of sad looking acros I still have to move too. Guess I can be thankful I have something, and it wasn't a total loss.

DSC06228.jpg

DSC06290.jpg

DSC06275.jpg

DSC06261.jpg

DSC06258.jpg

DSC06239.jpg

DSC06234.jpg

DSC06232.jpg

DSC06230.jpg

DSC06249.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

Aw! O hai JR, :D

Thanks so much!

(probably because for once I didn't actually put my name in the title. Tsk, I know)

That kessil really gives a cool spread on your tank. I don't know your old tank but that certainly is a fair amount of coral you saved, at least you have lots of space for new things! :D

squirrelieygrrrl
That kessil really gives a cool spread on your tank. I don't know your old tank but that certainly is a fair amount of coral you saved, at least you have lots of space for new things! :D

Thanks!

You can check out its predecessor the cad (my biggest reefing failure) and the 16 bow (my masterpiece thus far) in my sig!

I'm definitely glad I was able to save what I could, though I lost about 75% of what I had. :tears: I've been trying to look at it that way.... I'm still in whiner mode. :lol:

Why are you going Par 38s when you have the far superior Kessil?! I LOVE my 2 Kessils.

Oh I'm keeping the kessil for sure, but here was my thought; run the kessil for 12hrs. Add two par38's from rapid on either side for probably some where around 4hrs to get a true daylight effect. I had also considered adding some sort of actinic/moonlight thing as well.

Probably crazy talk..... But hey!

haha :lol:

:D

squirrelieygrrrl

Well so much for the glass top, it was trapping too much heat so I had to scrap it.....

Cuc comes tomorrow, yay!

I love your scape and the tank is looking great now that you have your coral in the tank. I'm sad I missed your last build but this one is pretty awesome so far. I'm hoping I have my 30 gal nuvo up and running within the month so then we can give eachother tips and tricks on the tank. :)

Archived