Cultivated Reef

Jgpico's 30 gal nuvo. New fts pg. 48

jgpico

Looks exactly like the stuff I had on my rock the first couple of months. The macros outcompeted it though and it disappeared. It just took some time. It's ugly stuff...I know from experience :lol:

Well it looks like I'm going to need to pick up some macro algae, Problem is I dont have anywhere local that sells any. let me know if you have some that you can ship my way gena.

i had some in my shallow build too. it finally died off. running the skimmer wet seemed to help

I have an aquatic life 115 thats sitting brand new in its box but I haven't installed it becuase multiple people told me it's kind of a crappy skimmer. Maybe I'll give it a try. I have been thinking about picking up one of the innovative marine aqua gadget skimmers, my buddy has one and he seems to like it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amount of macro in my tank is dwindling. Mostly by my own hand. I sold off all of my blue ochtodes, I pulled all the red grape and gracilaria out. I only have dragons breath, a little fauchea that seems to be getting taken over by a HH red/blue algae..unless the fauchea has morphed a bit. I have halimeda (not good for nutrient removal), and some ulva that pops up. Not a whole lot left! But, if I do have some when it warms up, I'll send it your way.

• Like 1

On another note I think I have decided to give the kessil a350 a try. buddy the lion uses it on his tank and it seems to be an awesome light. The only thing that I would be sacrificing would be the controllability but to be honest thats not a huge deal to me. I know I have changed my mind multiple times on this thread about which light I want but I think this is the one I am going to go with. I just need to sell my extra ai white and mp40 that are laying around to fund my indecisiveness lol.

The amount of macro in my tank is dwindling. Mostly by my own hand. I sold off all of my blue ochtodes, I pulled all the red grape and gracilaria out. I only have dragons breath, a little fauchea that seems to be getting taken over by a HH red/blue algae..unless the fauchea has morphed a bit. I have halimeda (not good for nutrient removal), and some ulva that pops up. Not a whole lot left! But, if I do have some when it warms up, I'll send it your way.

Sounds good gena :happy:

Am I able to run GFO without a reactor? Am I able to just put some in a media bag and throw it in the back chamber? I would really like not having to use a reactor.

Well guys, it seems as though my twin spot candy hogfish has teleported somewhere. It has vanished, no remains or anything. It's kinda weird actually.

Scotty must have decided to beam my fish back to my tank because it was there this morning. I swear I looked for that fish for about an hour. I looked under the couch in the back chamber behind the tank and couldn't find it and then bam there it is this morning lol. I'm just happy he's not a goner.

hanging out under a rock I am sure. My assessor did that for the first month I had it, wouldn't see it for days on end ... then finally with a flashlight spotted its tail sticking out from under a rock, so at least I knew where to find it from then on.

Scotty must have decided to beam my fish back to my tank because it was there this morning. I swear I looked for that fish for about an hour. I looked under the couch in the back chamber behind the tank and couldn't find it and then bam there it is this morning lol. I'm just happy he's not a goner.

Yay, you found him. Charlie, my Yasha went missing for like a month one time. Made me cry when he poofed into the tank from no where one day. Come to think of it that fish has made me cry more than once. Like the first time I got him, couldn't find him the next day. Searched everywhere including the floor, nothing. Found him in the back chamber staring up at me with puppy eyes. I balled right there and yelled at him. :blush:

• Like 1

Yay, you found him. Charlie, my Yasha went missing for like a month one time. Made me cry when he poofed into the tank from no where one day. Come to think of it that fish has made me cry more than once. Like the first time I got him, couldn't find him the next day. Searched everywhere including the floor, nothing. Found him in the back chamber staring up at me with puppy eyes. I balled right there and yelled at him. :blush:

I sat in front of the tank for at least an hour searching everywhere. I am able to look behind my rock work and I couldnt see it anywhere. He had to have been in a crevice hidden from the world. I even had my son (5 1/2 months) in front of the tank pouting with me because our fish was missing. I'm happy that we found him but it's weird because now he is never out in the open, he sticks to the caves and shadows. I really hope I can figure out whats going on with him because he brought a lot of color to the tank.

Been a while, how is this 30g of awesomeness going?

I'm still alive, I've just been busy with work and life crap.

Baby driving yet?

L

Been a while, how is this 30g of awesomeness going?

I'm still alive, I've just been busy with work and life crap.

Baby driving yet?

L

The tank is at a stand still. Haven't had any good news with this build since the beginning. I have had some algae issues after about the first week and they will not go away. My twin spot candy hog fish disappeared and I'm just ready to give up lol. As soon as I can figure out this algae I'll be a happy camper. until then nothing new. As far as the baby goes he still isnt driving and he hasnt gotten a job yet.

ive gotten rid of all my dwarf ceriths since they've got a pretty short lifespan (lots of them dying i think contributed to my algae break out). ive switched to the hardy astrea snails (these suckers always eat!) my rocks are spot less. granted i dont feed very much and ive got a skimmer. try feeding saturday night just before lights out, then sunday do a big water change.

good luck man. you make me want to buy a house and upgrade already! haha

• Like 1

ive gotten rid of all my dwarf ceriths since they've got a pretty short lifespan (lots of them dying i think contributed to my algae break out). ive switched to the hardy astrea snails (these suckers always eat!) my rocks are spot less. granted i dont feed very much and ive got a skimmer. try feeding saturday night just before lights out, then sunday do a big water change.

good luck man. you make me want to buy a house and upgrade already! haha

Its nice to have a house and have as many tank options as you want. I wish I was able to go bigger like I was initially planning but this good for now since I am planning a house upgrade in the next coupld years. Something about setting up my 120 gallon tank and having to tear it down in a couple years sounds like the opposite of fun to me lol. I am going to pull out all of the dwarf cerith shells that I still have in the tank and do a large water change in the next couple of days. Thanks for your advice.

• Like 1

Yea. Breaking down a big tank and moving it is a pain in the buns. I've just been buying equiptment that I need now but also keeping in mind if that equiptment can handle the bigger tank I'm wanting later on.

As for the algae. Siphon out as much as you can. I've started using coral snow to finish off the cyano in the low flow spots in my tank. We'll see if it works.

Stay patient man :)

• Like 1

I'm actually thinking about adding my small koralia to the opposite side that I have my mp10 on towards the back of the tank to add some flow around the back of the scape. Should Hopefully help out with some of the dead spots in the back corners.

Wazzzup? I just traded my massive rock of xenia and your patented anthelia for a nice hunk of Digiata.

Any who, do you know where your magnesium levels are? You could try boosting that a little bit, treat it as byropsis. I didn't see what you where running media wise, that's another thing we could look at. Algae ain't no thang brother.

Wazzzup? I just traded my massive rock of xenia and your patented anthelia for a nice hunk of Digiata.

Any who, do you know where your magnesium levels are? You could try boosting that a little bit, treat it as byropsis. I didn't see what you where running media wise, that's another thing we could look at. Algae ain't no thang brother.

As far as media I am running clear fx pro. It worked well for me in the past but im not sure if its cutting it for me now. I am interested in trying gfo but I really don't think I want to run a reactor because I dont like having something that could potentially leak outside the tank, it just makes me nervous.

You could take a shot at a little bag of Purigen on top of the clear fx, it's been my cure-all for 6 months. Clear fx is basically just GFO and GAC mixed, correct? Like supercharged Chemipure Elite?

Also, have you been basting your rockwork? I'd try going crazy just before a WC, blast every nook and cranny, manually remove as much as possible, rinse wash and repeat. Peroxide dips might be another good option.

You could take a shot at a little bag of Purigen on top of the clear fx, it's been my cure-all for 6 months. Clear fx is basically just GFO and GAC mixed, correct? Like supercharged Chemipure Elite?

Also, have you been basting your rockwork? I'd try going crazy just before a WC, blast every nook and cranny, manually remove as much as possible, rinse wash and repeat. Peroxide dips might be another good option.

I haven't tanken a baster to the rocks yet but maybe i'll give that a try tonight before I do my water change. I was going to grab a bag of purigen tonight while I'm at the lfs. I think I am also going to try a turbo snail which I have always stayed away from since I have always had smaller tanks.

I swore off Turbo's long ago. Nevermind the size or the clutziness, having to constantly flip the damned things drove me insane. If you're going to go big, I say grab the smallest pincushion you can find, and rehome it once the deed is done. Nuvo's are glass, right?

I swore off Turbo's long ago. Nevermind the size or the clutziness, having to constantly flip the damned things drove me insane. If you're going to go big, I say grab the smallest pincushion you can find, and rehome it once the deed is done. Nuvo's are glass, right?

Yes they are glass. I can never find urchins locally and I really don't want to have to pay for shipping. maybe I can have elite order me one. I have been wanthing one anyways.

If you're going special order, a Tuxedo Urchin could actually be maintained in a 30. I could have sworn I saw a few pincushions at elite.

On an unrelated note, have you ever heard of liquid kingdom? I've never been, but I guess they're hosting a frag swap sunday.

If you're going special order, a Tuxedo Urchin could actually be maintained in a 30. I could have sworn I saw a few pincushions at elite.

On an unrelated note, have you ever heard of liquid kingdom? I've never been, but I guess they're hosting a frag swap sunday.

I have heard of them and I went to check it out and the second I walked in the door i turned around and walked right back out. The saddest fish store I have ever been to. That was a while ago but I don't think I could go back.

I really want a nice looking pin cusion, not the old boring looking ones.

Archived