ReefCleaners.org

Jgpico's 30 gal nuvo. New fts pg. 48

jgpico

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of this nastiness in my tank? It started out as diatoms and now I have some gha on the rocks. I have literally not been feeding the tank lately and my perams are all looking good. I have shortened my photo period and I've even done a 5 gallon water change. I know that 3 fish isn't too much for this tank to handle but this is starting to suck. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with my AI. I really want to figure this out so I can have my tank back. HELP PLEAESE!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about upgrading my cuc but I feel like I have a lot of snails and stuff already. I already added 2 emerald crabs to help with the problem which has helped a tiny bit but not as much as I would like. I really wanted to put macros in this tank but now that plan is kinda screwed since the emeralds will eat it. I am not running any kind of skimmer on this tank currently, do you think that would help out at all?

You need to starve out the algae. I was just reading about chaeto for nitrates and Xenia for phosphates and ammonia. I think the diatoms come from silicates found in sand and plastics among other things. Once the silicates are consumed you should be able to vac/turkey baster it off sand and rock.

I was thinking about upgrading my cuc but I feel like I have a lot of snails and stuff already. I already added 2 emerald crabs to help with the problem which has helped a tiny bit but not as much as I would like. I really wanted to put macros in this tank but now that plan is kinda screwed since the emeralds will eat it. I am not running any kind of skimmer on this tank currently, do you think that would help out at all?

If you want to get your head spun around, check out the nano skimmer thread that is usually in most recent section on the home page. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317332-nano-skimmer-need-help/page-3#entry4139459

They are convincing me to not use a skimmer at this point.

Can you return the crabs?

If you want to get your head spun around, check out the nano skimmer thread that is usually in most recent section on the home page. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317332-nano-skimmer-need-help/page-3#entry4139459

They are convincing me to not use a skimmer at this point.

Can you return the crabs?

I'll have to check out that topic on the skimmers. I can definitely return the crabs, the issue would be getting them out of the tank.

Why not the leds? And I think a skimmer would help. The xenia is good and fix my problem with algae but I cant get rid of it!

Why not the leds? And I think a skimmer would help. The xenia is good and fix my problem with algae but I cant get rid of it!

I might stick with leds but I would like to do a different fixture. I have always liked the output of T5 and the growth and color of corals under T5. I absolutely refuse to put xenia in this tank lol

Glad to hear about the xenia becaus ethat was a terrible mistake for me! As for the led, you should try a radion! If you sold this one you would almost have enough money and that would be full spectrum (to an extent) , but you could do a retro fit t5 on it to get the full spectrum! I also think a skimmer would help tremendously! You need to remove phosphates and that should kill the algae!

Glad to hear about the xenia becaus ethat was a terrible mistake for me! As for the led, you should try a radion! If you sold this one you would almost have enough money and that would be full spectrum (to an extent) , but you could do a retro fit t5 on it to get the full spectrum! I also think a skimmer would help tremendously! You need to remove phosphates and that should kill the algae!

Radion was my fixture of choice. Im going to see what I can get for selling an mp40 and another ai white led I have laying around. Should get enought to cover a radion.

Hoping I can get a radion soon! Got me some christmas money but not nearly enough lol! Let me know how the color compares to everything. Growth too!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of this nastiness in my tank? It started out as diatoms and now I have some gha on the rocks. I have literally not been feeding the tank lately and my perams are all looking good. I have shortened my photo period and I've even done a 5 gallon water change. I know that 3 fish isn't too much for this tank to handle but this is starting to suck. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with my AI. I really want to figure this out so I can have my tank back. HELP PLEAESE!

That stinks! Well, I think the first step is to make sure you are using 0 TDS water for everything..water changes and top offs. Are you sure it's HA? If so, that's great cuz it's pretty easy to get rid of. It will just take some time. Now, if it's bryopsis that's a different story. You used dry rock, right? Could be phosphates bound within that to fuel the algae. Keep up the water changes, run some GFO and wait it out. It will eventually run out of fuel. Unfortunately time takes soooo long in this hobby :lol: Another option is to fill that baby up with macros...but get rid of the crabs.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what kind of chemical filtration I should try? What combination of things has worked for you?

51SxY.png

hey jg what powerhead is that

The one that I can sell you for a hefty price. ;) Its a hydor as well. I actually totally forgot about that one since I took it out of the tank a while ago.

The one that I can sell you for a hefty price. ;) Its a hydor as well. I actually totally forgot about that one since I took it out of the tank a while ago.

o yea ;) ill take it then

do you have closeups of the algae? are you using gfo? try doing a 3 day black out and 3 hours a day lighting and increase it every other day 1 hour each time..

if your using gfo, you might be using to much because the gfo has iron in it which supplies brown aglae. brown algae indicates more of like silicate/iron type not po4 or no3.

Looks exactly like the stuff I had on my rock the first couple of months. The macros outcompeted it though and it disappeared. It just took some time. It's ugly stuff...I know from experience :lol:

i had some in my shallow build too. it finally died off. running the skimmer wet seemed to help

+1

I had that too and it helped I think the most to get rid of it!

Archived