Cultivated Reef

*~* B's 1yr old RSM *~* pics coming soon

SerenityReef

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So made some water last night, smells like burnt rubber this morning...hmmm.

So cleaning water change bucket and starting over. Just can't figure out what made the smell.

Does anyone else post mostly off an iPad and have to Post (which turns in to a paragraph no matter how I have it typed) Edit Post (it fixes itself) then Post again??

Kind of annoying to have to Post twice every time I post. Still less annoying as Aquatic Log STILL not having an iPad app, having to triple or quadruple tap before it clues in.

Does anyone else post mostly off an iPad and have to Post (which turns in to a paragraph no matter how I have it typed) Edit Post (it fixes itself) then Post again??

Kind of annoying to have to Post twice every time I post. Still less annoying as Aquatic Log STILL not having an iPad app, having to triple or quadruple tap before it clues in.

Same happens on my iPhone , its very frustrating

Happens to me on android

Ok well I feel a lil better!

So building structures today after we get flower boxes from Home Depot, "of course dear I will go with you.". Little does she know I need super glue and acrylic rod :lol:

After that a 5g WC (after throwing 5 out...) changing over the canister filter to polish for for hours. Been stirring it up for a day and will continue all day today. SO much less to site up today...wow Thanks Spiro via Kat!

Someone from DFWMAS offered me a 405 at another steal so debating if its worth it, haven't been too impressed or disappointed with the 350. About to clean house and start a sales thread so I could just sell which ever one I don't like. 350 is simple...but so much more I could see doing with the 405...always something to debate, why I love the hobby.

Probably get some pics up tonight of the scapes. Then I think into the water making bucket for a few days for some cleaning and maybe a test or two. Have a frag rack on the way to hold everything during the switch.

Have some of these http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/654/ I'm trying to work into the scape, we'll see.

I can't even remember where I got them, MACNA freebie maybe? I have a whole bin full of frag plugs and I don't think I spent a penny on them.

Magnum is rated for 350gph and 405 is rated for 340gph. I sit at about 45g with the sump, will see if it changes with the new rock scape. Either way that's pretty good turn over for just a monthly scrubber. I like the way the 405 breaks into trays, more media choices, and the intake get lower into the tank.

Off to Home Depot

wow, nice.

I need to go buy home depot for some new tubing. I picked up a new water change pump from Harbor freight yesterday

Oh, and I need a light bulb socket celling thing. I think I'm going to change how I'm mounting my fuge light.

So anything else I want to do to this rock I'm not thinking about?

I can think of lots of things. None of which are probably useful or helpful in the reef setting LOL. Sorry.

(Put it in a bigger tank!!)

Hi Kat...I can't keep up with your thread so don't feel bad :lol:

I am removing the bonsai till I upgrade. I kinda knew it was to big for the RSM, but didn't want to give in.

But I have now picked up some dry rock, on day 2 of scaping! I want to make sure it is cleaned and ready to go before making it into the RSM so it will go into a bucket for a bit.

My concern is how much of a filter the bonsai is really representing. I don't want to rip out half of my natural filtration without something ready to go.

Yes, I'd be careful about taking it out and then just adding dry rock.

I'm thinking a crash/cycle could happen that way. But I may be off here.

IMO, I think you'd be better off adding already cured LR from DNA or Exotic (or from wherever).
At least then you know it already has the beneficial bacteria in place.

I looked into replacing some of my LR and that was what I always read/heard when I
researched and asked over at DNA.

Yes, I'd be careful about taking it out and then just adding dry rock.

I'm thinking a crash/cycle could happen that way. But I may be off here.

IMO, I think you'd be better off adding already cured LR from DNA or Exotic (or from wherever).

At least then you know it already has the beneficial bacteria in place.

I looked into replacing some of my LR and that was what I always read/heard when I

researched and asked over at DNA.

I would agree about being careful when removing half the surface area of rock in your tank. I'm not sure that adding live rock from a LFS to compensate will help. If you've got 1 fish per 10lbs of rock, and they've got 1 fish per 100lbs of rock in the systems hooked up to their giant tanks of rocks, then it's not going to do much.

You might increase your feeding for a week or so before you take it out, then decrease the feeding for the week after you take it out, and let the bacteria self balance. Remember, bacterial growth is exponential so doubling in size isn't that hard for them if there's space for them to grow. It's going from 1 to 1 million that takes a while.

Makes sense given that you're a Jet's fan. :P

I've been distracted. :ninja:

And for the record I live with my head in a paper bag. I do not live under a rock.

93538932_81.jpg?w=594

Archived