Coral Vue Hydros

Craigslist fails

patback

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
natalia_la_loca

My orthodontist has a "nemo" style aquarium... I can't even take the man seriously

your orthodontist needs a stern talking to...

Oh, don't get me started about finding f***ing nemo...I mean, cute movie, but why the hell does every stupid idiot in the world think they have to go out and get a real version of whatever cute animal is in the cartoon movie du jour for their spoiled brat kids?

end of rant

Reef confession: wanting a nemo was the reason I got into saltwater tanks. :unsure:

Reef confession: wanting a nemo was the reason I got into saltwater tanks. :unsure:

there is nothing wrong with that, just don't do it wrong.

natalia_la_loca

I would have done the same if I'd been 8 or 10 when Finding Nemo came out.

I wonder how many little nemo-philes turn into reefers and conservationists when they grow up.

Oh, don't get me started about finding f***ing nemo...I mean, cute movie, but why the hell does every stupid idiot in the world think they have to go out and get a real version of whatever cute animal is in the cartoon movie du jour for their spoiled brat kids?

end of rant

Because marketing and our society tells us that we need to have whatever is currently the fad.

by "new corals" does he/she mean the resin decorations?

My guess, that is exactly what they are talking about when they say "new corals" because all I see in the tank is greeeeeeeen.

defective_weeble

My guess, that is exactly what they are talking about when they say "new corals" because all I see in the tank is greeeeeeeen.

I also love the "memo" fish.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Wtfs a darla?

darla.jpg

Whenever my 8 yo daughter wants to "hold the bag" on the way home from the LFS we tell her "Don't be like Darla!"

Paandemonium

I'm so glad I don't have the kid issue, my seven year old brother knows how to identify most common fish, some inverts+ coral at an LFS and actively corrects people when they call them nemos.

defective_weeble

Can someone critique this CL post:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/for/4353256751.html

Is it overpiced?

Thanks

Breaking it down by new pricing:

150 AGA - ~$900

Oceanic sump - $229

Mag 18 - $120

Skimmer - $330

Lights - $500? (total guess. Too many variables unknown.)

200 lbs live rock - $1400 (standard $7 per pound.)

150 lbs live sand - $150

6 powerheads - $360 (using Jebao WP-25 pricing)

RO/DI - $150

ATO - $200 (Tunze Osmolator pricing)

So in equipment alone you're looking at $4300 if you were to buy everything new.

Now let's take the very bottom end that he would have paid for the corals and say that each frag was $10 (that's not likely the case, but we have to make an assumption). At that price, you're talking $650 if you were to buy FRAGS. Considering the corals are not frag stage, you could be looking at that much for a single coral. It all depends on what's there. From the pictures, I'm not seeing anything terribly rare, but many of the colonies are pretty large. You'd easily pay $100+ for some of them.

As for fish - Again, way too many variables to know for sure. But let's say that he averaged $20 per fish (likely MUCH more considering that he's talking about show size). That's $200 for the fish.

So $4300 + $200 + $650 = $5150. I would venture to say that I'm probably a grand low here, due mainly to the unknown elements of the livestock. But using what we know to be decent numbers for coral frags and fish, that's the best we can do.

So you're looking at $2000 below retail using these numbers. IMO, if you have 3 grand burning a hole in your pocket and you want a turnkey system, this is a pretty solid deal.

A 110g that's not looking so good lol. http://lansing.craigslist.org/for/4384413126.html'>http://lansing.craigslist.org/for/4384413126.html

For comparison in picking up a full 110g setup tonight minus lights and skimmer with much more rock for $350

It took me a moment to decipher "venemouslionfish". Coral plants... Nice.

Is a sub pump something that goes with your car stereo?

Archived