Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

There is a store not far from me that has 3 flashlight fish in stock. I looked them up but it says they get 5 1/2" which is to large for my tank. I always liked them but they are a deepwater fish and I doubt they would do well in a lighted reef tank so I won't get them

Yes I feel the same as you do ... not sure how well they would do in your tank indeed

Albert

I think adding the coral beauty first is smart, and like Albert said, the angel will learn to stay away from the area your clowns are hosting. My angel swims all around my tank and has no issue from the clowns. She mostly avoids where the host, but when she does occasionally get too close she gets a nip from the female clown and then leaves. There's a never a fight and the clowns won't chase the angel once she leaves their space.

You're welcome Albert. I just thought I would chime in since I have that combination of fish. That was great info you gave about needing to keep the coral beauty well fed. I make sure to keep mine well fed and I haven't had any issues at all with her picking at corals.

I actually made a video the other day of all the fish in my tank and there are a few scenes of the clowns and coral beauty interacting. I figured I'd share the link here in case Eric is interested in watching how they interact.

Thank you Felicia! Your tank is beautiful! I saw in your video where the CB was near your Clown and the polyps and the clown would wiggle him away. Very cute!

• Like 2
albertthiel

I have your new book and I also got the PDF version too! The signed copy of the book was an unexpected bonus! Thank you Albert!

I read in your book about the clownfish and how they get territorial and aggressive, especially over time. My tank just got done cycling so there are no fish or corals in it yet. I'll probably add the Coral Beauty first.

Thanks for the kind works on the book.... Much appreciated.

And on the fish ... if you can put them all in at the same time, that should really minimize issues with territoriality ....

Albert

albertthiel

Thanks, yes I am sorry but you will have to see pictures of Greta from time to time, so some of you will just have to get used to it as I go back and forth from fish to Greta, fish, Greta.

She was in swim class there.

My tank is clearing up from the typhoon, I also found another gobi that I forgot I have. These guys show up when I disturb things, if now, I don't even know they are alive.

I did not find my new pipefish pair but the large, smiling watchman gobi may know something about that.

Great picture of Greta ... love to see them Paul ....

Yes those diatoms filters can really create a storm in a tank for sure and it does indeed take a little while for all of it to clear up.

Guess the Pipefish will show up at some point ... but then you saw that Goby you forgot you had :-o hey you may see some other ones appear as things settle down ...

Thanks for the update

Albert

albertthiel

I think adding the coral beauty first is smart, and like Albert said, the angel will learn to stay away from the area your clowns are hosting. My angel swims all around my tank and has no issue from the clowns. She mostly avoids where the host, but when she does occasionally get too close she gets a nip from the female clown and then leaves. There's a never a fight and the clowns won't chase the angel once she leaves their space.

You're welcome Albert. I just thought I would chime in since I have that combination of fish. That was great info you gave about needing to keep the coral beauty well fed. I make sure to keep mine well fed and I haven't had any issues at all with her picking at corals.

I actually made a video the other day of all the fish in my tank and there are a few scenes of the clowns and coral beauty interacting. I figured I'd share the link here in case Eric is interested in watching how they interact.

Agreed with your comments for sure ... and that IS some video you posted ... wow ... wish I could make that kind of video ... really well done and the Midas looks absolutely gorgeous and so does the rest of the tank.

Very very nice.

Albert

Thank you Felicia! Your tank is beautiful! I saw in your video where the CB was near your Clown and the polyps and the clown would wiggle him away. Very cute!

You're welcome! I thought it might help to actually see the interaction. Obviously all fish are different, but I doubt you'll have any troubles. And yeah, I like how my female clown just sort of wiggled around and pushed the angel away. She makes it clear that that is her territory, but she's usually pretty gentle about it. And I'm glad you like my tank! Thank you! :)

Agreed with your comments for sure ... and that IS some video you posted ... wow ... wish I could make that kind of video ... really well done and the Midas looks absolutely gorgeous and so does the rest of the tank.

Very very nice.

Albert

Thank you, Albert! I'm honored that you liked my video and the tank! I shot that video with just my iPhone camera and then I edited the clips together in iMovie (free software on Mac computers). Its nothing very fancy, so I'm sure you could make just as nice of a video! The Midas Blenny is such a pop of color and has so much personality. I highly recommend them to anyone with a big enough tank! Great fish!

Felicia :)

• Like 2

And a a factoid : more books were sold to members of that UK forum we are both on than to members of this forum but now that I have made the e-Version available for sale on its own merit (no newsletter though comes with it) .... maybe some more will order. Link for the e-version and printed version ordering is still http://nano.athiel.net

Thanks for the updated review Les

Albert

Personally I prefer a good old fashoned book. Way more of an experience with the feel of the book in your hands. I may only be 27 but I love the feel of it and the smell of a good book. (they have that paper musty library smell :wub: ) Either way I am so happy for you, it sure is one heck of a read, I have to go back over the reactors etc, but the pests and information on coral disease were awesome!

And thanks BTW all is fine, just a long one and with unecessary drama :closedeyes: apparently it is all well now... :rolleyes:

Also emails are being composed as we type/read. ;)

• Like 2
albertthiel

One of the Most extraordinary Videos on the Deep You will see

© NOAA

The creatures you will see are not those Monsters. .. but the most unusual small ones that the Expedition Team was able to capture on video ...

This is must see

Albert

• Like 3
albertthiel

You're welcome! I thought it might help to actually see the interaction. Obviously all fish are different, but I doubt you'll have any troubles. And yeah, I like how my female clown just sort of wiggled around and pushed the angel away. She makes it clear that that is her territory, but she's usually pretty gentle about it. And I'm glad you like my tank! Thank you! :)

Thank you, Albert! I'm honored that you liked my video and the tank! I shot that video with just my iPhone camera and then I edited the clips together in iMovie (free software on Mac computers). Its nothing very fancy, so I'm sure you could make just as nice of a video! The Midas Blenny is such a pop of color and has so much personality. I highly recommend them to anyone with a big enough tank! Great fish!

Felicia :)

Thanks for the detail on how it was made and since I use a Mac I should try it out one of these days ... been kind of busy lately :)

Great video it was regardless of how you made it ... !

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Personally I prefer a good old fashoned book. Way more of an experience with the feel of the book in your hands. I may only be 27 but I love the feel of it and the smell of a good book. (they have that paper musty library smell :wub: ) Either way I am so happy for you, it sure is one heck of a read, I have to go back over the reactors etc, but the pests and information on coral disease were awesome!

And thanks BTW all is fine, just a long one and with unecessary drama :closedeyes: apparently it is all well now... :rolleyes:

Thanks Randi, me too, but as publishing evolves more and more people are getting into electronic versions ... I guess the success of all those e-readers attests to that ... but personally I like a nice paper copy like you do ... + how would we fill all our bookshelves if we did not have printed books :)

Anyway ... glad you are feeling better .... and on the pics no rush .. does not have to be tonight .... especially if you need time for yourself.

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks Randi .. got all the pics you sent ... Appreciate it ...

Hope you are feeling better.

Albert

I will add to the above if I may.

When you have a book in your hand you know and feel its yours and yours alone I don't get the same feeling with ebooks.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the events in Boston such needless loss of life and injury. Condolences to those who have lost loved ones and may the injured all make a full recovery with no more loss of life.

16 hours without a post on here showing I guess the events in Boston have something to do with that.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I will add to the above if I may.

When you have a book in your hand you know and feel its yours and yours alone I don't get the same feeling with ebooks.

I guess the answer is get both and with how I have been offering the book that is indeed possible for one and the same price !

The e-version is now available on its own, but the printed one still is via the link in my signature ... and comes with the free e-version and the free 1 year newsletter ... so that really the best of both worlds.

But I agree ... I love to have hard copies myself

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Sorry to hear about the events in Boston such needless loss of life and injury. Condolences to those who have lost loved ones and may the injured all make a full recovery with no more loss of life.

16 hours without a post on here showing I guess the events in Boston have something to do with that.

Yes, Les it seems like the violence is not stopping as it keeps going on and on and on ... where is it all going to lead to ? It is shocking that so many of it happens indeed and that so many people get hurt, killed, injured, maimed and worse ...

And indeed a long time without posts ... I agree .. but I am sure some will start posting as the day goes by ...

Albert

• Like 1

The Tree Frogs ... the cutest frogs around IMHO ...

I dont know albert.. this guy is pretty cute too....

P.S. Just finished the book. FANTASTIC the information about disease and coral issues is absolutely amazing!

• Like 1
albertthiel

I dont know albert.. this guy is pretty cute too....

P.S. Just finished the book. FANTASTIC the information about disease and coral issues is absolutely amazing!

I have to agree that is a "real" cute one indeed .... Strange shape and looks but cute ...

And if you finished the book .. wow you are a fast reader ... that was a lot of pages ... Thanks for the kind words on the Pest and Disease section and hope you like the rest too :-o

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Peter Gnome's 50 Gallon Reef is OMG Awesome ....

If you want to see what an aquarist can achieve with 50 gallons (192 liters) of seawater, here is your benchmark. You owe it to yourself to watch Pedro's latest video in HD (720p at minimum). The only thing that is higher quality than the video production is Pedro's tank itself.

© Leonard Ho

Link :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/pedro-gnomes-50-gallon-reef-is-omg-awesome

Albert

• Like 1

I have to agree that is a "real" cute one indeed .... Strange shape and looks but cute ...

And if you finished the book .. wow you are a fast reader ... that was a lot of pages ... Thanks for the kind words on the Pest and Disease section and hope you like the rest too :-o

Albert

Fast... I am 'decent' But we took a 5 hour road trip so I was pretty much reading the entire way. No internet where I was staying so I read it there too.. and I was on page 250ish before we headed down :) I was hoping to stop at pacific east while in Baltimore .. but they are a bit further down than I thought.. No big deal we had a great trip overall. The book is fantastic, of course im going to come back and touch up on the areas of real interest for me. I really want to find another fish or two for the 40b.. i clearly have room for it.. A 6 line wrasse is intriguing but i think i would prefer a mandarin

• Like 1
albertthiel

Fast... I am 'decent' But we took a 5 hour road trip so I was pretty much reading the entire way. No internet where I was staying so I read it there too.. and I was on page 250ish before we headed down :) I was hoping to stop at pacific east while in Baltimore .. but they are a bit further down than I thought.. No big deal we had a great trip overall. The book is fantastic, of course im going to come back and touch up on the areas of real interest for me. I really want to find another fish or two for the 40b.. i clearly have room for it.. A 6 line wrasse is intriguing but i think i would prefer a mandarin

Yes now I see how you managed to read so much .. that must indeed have given you plenty of time to go through the book, and as you say go back to some sections that you want to re-read ... on the fish and the sections .. that is usually what I do too when I read a book ... read it completely and then go back to specific sections ...

Thanks for the comments.. I appreciate them ...

and others can still order via the link in my signature ...

Albert

albertthiel

That is a cute frog, but if we are doing cute (no I won't put up a picture of my Grand Daughter, not yet anyway) But what do you think of this cute little burrfish that I collected off Long Island? When he got large in a year I donated him to a public aquarium on Long Island.

boxfish007.jpg

Looking good ... but I guess it really got too big for your tank ... but they are really interesting looking fish indeed

Albert

I didn't put him in my reef for obvious reasons. I think he could chew through the glass. But Albert, If I collect another one you can add him to your Nano reef, I am sure he will behave and not eat, like everything.

• Like 1