Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

I have read about half of Albert's book and I am learning things, I didn't know much about the stuff people use in reactors to reduce phosphates, silicates, nitrates etc. So I got an education. There is one chapter that Albert didn't have room to fit in his book but I got a sneak peak of it.

It was about Nano reef safe creatures and it went something like this:

Many sea animals are what we consider reef safe but are not usually added to a Nano reef tank. One such animal is a manta ray.

A manta ray does not eat coral or invertebrates and does not hide so it can be considered reef safe. The only reason we do not see them in Nano's often is that their tail punctures the plastic shipping bag so they are hard to drive home from the LFS. Some people have luck transporting them in a damp sponge in the back of a pick up truck or semi tractor trailer.

Another reef safe animal is a Whale shark. Whale sharks do eat shrimp but not the ornamental shrimp we commonly find in a Nano.

Whale sharks have been known to produce a lot of wastes so a good skimmer is essential and it is important to keep at least part of their head underwater. They are not known to contract ich but if they do, copper foil can be wrapped around their body.

A less active animal is the elephant seal, although they will eat clams, they leave corals alone but may puncture the bottom glass of your nano with their tusks so a DSB is advised.

They also should have a rock to haul their bodies out on to sun themselves and maybe a few seagulls to keep them company.

The last animal is an invert, a box jellyfish. These may not be so reef safe and will kill you or members of your family so when you clean the glass try not to contact it's tentacles.

Well you are a fast reader Paul ... that 's over 200+ pages read ...

And thanks for those suggestions for a chapter on NOT reef safe ones :-o but you should add the Loch Ness to it also :-o

When the Part II comes out I will include that for sure ... and by then RUGF's will be back in fashion by all so I'll have to add that as well and as a freebie everyone gets "1" Blackworm !! :-o

Albert

Off to the post office ... need to send out more books ..

And thanks for those suggestions for a chapter on NOT reef safe ones :-o but you should add the Loch Ness to it also :-o

I actually wasn't sure if the Loch Ness Monster was reef safe or not, I also am not sure how to acclimate it.

• Like 2

The Loch Ness monster is safe with corals but will eat fish large enough to fit in its mouth. However it is a protected sp and on the CITES list along with other endangered species. Illegal collection has been reported with a numbet of them shipped to the USA to collectors. Anybody finding one for sale should alert the appropriate authority ASAP.

I actually wasn't sure if the Loch Ness Monster was reef safe or not, I also am not sure how to acclimate it.

• Like 1
albertthiel

The Missing Chapter !

Paul : I would say ..... very very carefully ... and in a large container :-o

Albert

albertthiel

Thanks Albert,

Although I have fragged some of my SPS corals I did it more to see how well they would frag more than to sell on. It will be good to track their progress in the tree and the dish. The soap dish does work very well with 4 strong suckers to keep it firmly attached. You can find these on eBay for silly money. Seems some unscrupulous people are buying soap dishes and selling them as frag supports and for 10x what you can buy them for.

Good idea indeed, I have seen the frag tree at an LFS here in Atlanta and in talking to them about it they pointed out that getting the proper current to both the top, middle and bottom did take them some time to figure out and play around with PH's till the current was how they wanted it to be ... and that makes sense indeed ...

Nice ... hope they all do well and "grow" for you so you can start some trading and maybe get some corals you do not have yet but would like to add ...

A Cycloseris would be nice ... and maybe a Cynarina ... as shown below

Cynarina%20lacrymalis.jpg

And on the resale of some products that were originally not for aquarium use, at much higher prices ... I can think of quite a few ... Soda Lime for one, Aluminum Oxide, Lanthanum Chloride and many many more ...

Albert

• Like 1

All very true and even iodine, turbo calcium (calcium chloride) kalk (calcium hydroxide) All can be bought much more cheaply but then you won't get any pretty pictures of corals and coral fish on the container. I guess those pic's must be VERY expensive indeed.

[And on the resale of some products that were originally not for aquarium use, at much higher prices ... I can think of quite a few ... Soda Lime for one, Aluminum Oxide, Lanthanum Chloride and many many more ...

Albert

• Like 1

Albert, in your book (that I almost finished reading) you mention possum wrasses but don't say much about them. Did you ever have one as I have been thinking of getting one for a couple of years as they are always available here. There is a reference in the book to the "above picture" but I think that is the picture of the possum wrasse on the preceeding page.

I never had one but don't know anything about them.

How big do they get? are they agressive? do they smell funny? etc.

• Like 2
albertthiel

The Loch Ness monster is safe with corals but will eat fish large enough to fit in its mouth. However it is a protected sp and on the CITES list along with other endangered species. Illegal collection has been reported with a numbet of them shipped to the USA to collectors. Anybody finding one for sale should alert the appropriate authority ASAP.

Gee some were shipped to the US ? Wow ... that must have been some UPS or FedEx bill .... or maybe Nessie came ocean freight in a double double large 44 foot shipping container ... :-0

No wonder they can't find any in "Loch Ness" .... the Poachers got them all ... The one below was sighted in Big Creek, Forsyth County, GA not long ago ... Picture taken by Beth Writer .... Looks awesome but not sure I could afford the food bill and if it ate Blackworms I would have to order them by the ton :-o

lochness.png

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

All very true and even iodine, turbo calcium (calcium chloride) kalk (calcium hydroxide) All can be bought much more cheaply but then you won't get any pretty pictures of corals and coral fish on the container. I guess those pic's must be VERY expensive indeed.

Yes indeed and you are not paying for the R&D either in many cases as so many products are reverse engineered from overseas ones where they were developed ... e.g. in Japan and the Far East Countries ... but c'est la vie as they say ... an there are so many intermediaries that when you account for their cut, the price goes up really quickly ...

Albert

For thoes who dont know, enter you'r tracking numbers into Canadapost.ca to see updates...

Mine is now only 3hrs from me, if the post office drives fast I may get it by 6pm ;)

• Like 2

This is what happens when those cuddly little Nessys out grow their nano tank. people just flush them and they end up in the swamps etc. Remember a Nessy is for life not just for Christmas. First there were Nija turtles then Nemos and now Nessys. Nessys are the play animals of the Rich like Paul here but even he couldn't breed enough black worms to keep one well fed.

Gee some were shipped to the US ? Wow ... that must have been some UPS or FedEx bill .... or maybe Nessie came ocean freight in a double double large 44 foot shipping container ... :-0

No wonder they can't find any in "Loch Ness" .... the Poachers got them all ... The one below was sighted in Big Creek, Forsyth County, GA not long ago ... Picture taken by Beth Writer .... Looks awesome but not sure I could afford the food bill and if it ate Blackworms I would have to order them by the ton :-o

lochness.png

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Albert, in your book (that I almost finished reading) you mention possum wrasses but don't say much about them. Did you ever have one as I have been thinking of getting one for a couple of years as they are always available here. There is a reference in the book to the "above picture" but I think that is the picture of the possum wrasse on the preceeding page.

I never had one but don't know anything about them.

How big do they get? are they agressive? do they smell funny? etc.

I will have a look and let you know which one it is referring to ... And on the Possum Wrasse ... it is the Wetmorella and there is a White Band and a Yellow Band one, also referred to a Pigmy Wrasses, and then similar is the Tanaka Wrasse ... and no I have not kept one myself in the 20 G that I am running.

They stay very small and are not aggressive , feat on mysis and the like, and are JUMPERS if chased by other fish, they are shy, and at first may hide for a while ... If not chased by other fish they should not be jumpers but one never knows. Great fish, a bit reclusive though and in a big tank you may not see it much. Size 2 to 3 inches max.

The Tanaka one is probably the nicest looking one, although the Yellow Band is pretty impressive too ...

Albert

albertthiel

For thoes who dont know, enter you'r tracking numbers into Canadapost.ca to see updates...

Mine is now only 3hrs from me, if the post office drives fast I may get it by 6pm ;)

Well let's hope so .... If you know their route you may drive and go meet them .. I have done it in the past but if it is on the delivery van or whatever they use I should get to you ...

Albert

albertthiel

This is what happens when those cuddly little Nessys out grow their nano tank. people just flush them and they end up in the swamps etc. Remember a Nessy is for life not just for Christmas. First there were Nija turtles then Nemos and now Nessys. Nessys are the play animals of the Rich like Paul here but even he couldn't breed enough black worms to keep one well fed.

And Next comes finding Dory ....

Albert

albertthiel

OK I will get one and see how long it takes him to jump out.

They are great looking fish, small but really appealing and fun ... but shy to begin with so may hide for a while and remember, it may jump so make sure you fit it with a parachute ;-o

Which one are you getting ?

Albert

They are great looking fish, small but really appealing and fun ... but shy to begin with so may hide for a while and remember, it may jump so make sure you fit it with a parachute ;-o

Which one are you getting ?

Albert

The possum wrasse, brown striped thing.

• Like 1
albertthiel

The possum wrasse, brown striped thing.

It is brownish with white stripes it would be Wetmorella albofasciata. Likes caves and places to hide and go into, and you have plenty of those for sure ... and with what you feed the only issue is that it could get outcompeted for food which would not be a good thing ...

Albert

albertthiel

Advanced Aquarists Consider Safeguarding Endemic Hawaiian Fish

You need to read this on the Reef builders site as this is © Jake Adams and Reefbuilders

So go there via this link :

-- > reefbuilders.com/2012/02/04/hawaii-reef-fish/

Albert