Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I read the introduction to Alberts book last night in bed and I have to say its is one of the best introductions to any book I have read. I also read the first and some of the second chapters. Albert, in your ontroduction you almost apologise to more advanced reefers for having a chapter on setting up a nano reef tank for beginners. However without this vital information the book would not have been complete and it most certainly needed to be there. Everything clearly explained in easy to read format. I have read introductions that have been over complicated and unnecessarily long winded but that can't be labeled here. Neither is it patronising to anybody reading it, all good sound information. I look forward to reading the rest of the book over the next few days. Thank you once again for a great book.

• Like 3

I finished the book. And loved it. Of course I didn't read every page onevery fish because I know most of them but the few that I didn't know about I read every word. The corals as well. For me the chemistry parts were the most educational because I never used reactors and wanted to learn what they were all about.

• Like 3
albertthiel

I read the introduction to Alberts book last night in bed and I have to say its is one of the best introductions to any book I have read. I also read the first and some of the second chapters. Albert, in your ontroduction you almost apologise to more advanced reefers for having a chapter on setting up a nano reef tank for beginners. However without this vital information the book would not have been complete and it most certainly needed to be there. Everything clearly explained in easy to read format. I have read introductions that have been over complicated and unnecessarily long winded but that can't be labeled here. Neither is it patronising to anybody reading it, all good sound information. I look forward to reading the rest of the book over the next few days. Thank you once again for a great book.

Thanks Les. Indeed the intro and the first section may seem like it only applies to beginners but in reality because it lists ALL available options for all types of filtration I think it may also be of use to those who are more into it and for longer ... and of course even though all those options are listed, that does not mean that they all have to be used. I just wanted to include as many as possible (including canister filters based on your own suggestion) so anyone reading the book can decide on which one of the many many that are listed is appropriate for them.

Thanks for the kind words ...

And a a factoid : more books were sold to members of that UK forum we are both on than to members of this forum but now that I have made the e-Version available for sale on its own merit (no newsletter though comes with it) .... maybe some more will order. Link for the e-version and printed version ordering is still http://nano.athiel.net

Thanks for the updated review Les

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I finished the book. And loved it. Of course I didn't read every page onevery fish because I know most of them but the few that I didn't know about I read every word. The corals as well. For me the chemistry parts were the most educational because I never used reactors and wanted to learn what they were all about.

Thanks Paul .... Appreciate it .... Glad you liked it.

BTW how are your carnivorous snails doing ... Still multiplying or are there numbers going down ?

Albert

albertthiel

Here is one for all but esp for Paul,

I hope I am OK posting a link to this thread if not let me know and I will remove the link.

http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/reefs/135770-how-even-possible.html

I have been to this guys house and seen his tank which is truly magnificent. He sells lots of frags from it and the colours are amazing as well as the growth.

Very Nice indeed ... thanks Les for posting it ...

Albert

Thanks Paul .... Appreciate it .... Glad you liked it.

BTW how are your carnivorous snails doing ... Still multiplying or are there numbers going down ?

Albert

I have not collected any snails in a while because I got bored of hunting them, but I still see plenty of the tiny babies on the glass before the lights come on so I know they are still there. Those possum wrasses are supposed to eat those so maybe if I get one, they can have a feast. They don't seem to bother anything so I will leave them to their own devices.

The nitrates in that posted tank are 100 and everything is fine because nitrates are over rated as mine have been 60 and the tank has never looked so good. So nitrates are a rumor like so many things in this hobby. It may be that nitrates "with" something else is bad for corals but nitrates alone. It also may be true (as many people tell me) that low nitrates allow more colorful corals to grow so that is another thing I have to test but most of this stuff comes about as rumor, then it circulates so much that it becomes fact. Like feeding blackworms causes fatty liver's. How long does that take, 43 years? Many times my fish only get blackworms and almost all of my fish are spawning. I mean, really! how bad could they be?

I also keep fish that are considered difficult and they not only have perfectly fine livers, but they are spawning, fish including blue stripe pipefish, mandarins etc. So that rumor is out the window.

If That guy can keep nitrates at 100 and mine were 60, that proves that nitrates are not the limiting factor for corals, although they may contribute along with some other unknown factor. I really think to much ink is wasted trying to keep nitrates undetectable.

But of course we all know that UG filters can't work, and cleaner shrimp cure ich and magnesium "cures" hair algae, and Paris Hilton can sing.

Albert with the books you sent to England, did you have to translate them?

• Like 2
albertthiel

I have not collected any snails in a while because I got bored of hunting them, but I still see plenty of the tiny babies on the glass before the lights come on so I know they are still there. Those possum wrasses are supposed to eat those so maybe if I get one, they can have a feast. They don't seem to bother anything so I will leave them to their own devices.

The nitrates in that posted tank are 100 and everything is fine because nitrates are over rated as mine have been 60 and the tank has never looked so good. So nitrates are a rumor like so many things in this hobby. It may be that nitrates "with" something else is bad for corals but nitrates alone. It also may be true (as many people tell me) that low nitrates allow more colorful corals to grow so that is another thing I have to test but most of this stuff comes about as rumor, then it circulates so much that it becomes fact. Like feeding blackworms causes fatty liver's. How long does that take, 43 years? Many times my fish only get blackworms and almost all of my fish are spawning. I mean, really! how bad could they be?

I also keep fish that are considered difficult and they not only have perfectly fine livers, but they are spawning, fish including blue stripe pipefish, mandarins etc. So that rumor is out the window.

If That guy can keep nitrates at 100 and mine were 60, that proves that nitrates are not the limiting factor for corals, although they may contribute along with some other unknown factor. I really think to much ink is wasted trying to keep nitrates undetectable.

But of course we all know that UG filters can't work, and cleaner shrimp cure ich and magnesium "cures" hair algae, and Paris Hilton can sing.

Albert with the books you sent to England, did you have to translate them?

Very good points Paul ... there is still so much we do not really truly understand and old recommendations still seem in many cases to be what gets regurgitated and then spread more and more but as you say that tank was at 100 and yours is at 60 and there are no ill effects ... unfortunately there are too many cases of similar so called "facts" that are in reality not proven ...

Well glad to read that your snails are having a jolly good time ... but then who knows when some fish or fishes decide that they may look appetizing ... Did you see that Video Randi posted on her Midas that did "not" like those snails and kept tossing them around. That was real interesting how he wanted to keep that corner of the tank clean and to himself ....

And on the book ... I am going to translate it in French, but so far the US English seems to be well accepted by all the UK buyers ... Have not had any comments yet about "we want it in English English" ..... but then that may still come right :-o

Albert

And on the book ... I am going to translate it in French, but so far the US English seems to be well accepted by all the UK buyers ... Have not had any comments yet about "we want it in English English" ..... but then that may still come right :-o

Albert

I went to Australia for R&R from Viet Nam and I was trying to cross this big street in Sydney. There are no traffic lights and seemingly any other traffic signs and people just drive any way they want. So this guy and another guy comes up to me and says something un intelligable. I said "What?" And he said the same thing. It sounded like Klingon. Eventually I realized that the guy was asking me to take the blind gentleman across the street. So he put the blind guy's hand on my shoulder and left me there. After a few minutes the blind guy said to me "whats the matter Bloke, I want to cross the street?" I told him I had no idea how to cross the street because the cars were going all over the place and there was no gaps. So he lifts his cane and drags me into the street. I covered my eyes and made it across the street while cars went around me on the sidewalk and all over the place. Now I worked in Manhattan for 40 years so I know about traffic but it is unreal there and I didn't know you are just supposed to throw yourself in front of the speeding cars and hope they go around you.

The guy was going to a blind facility across the street. So when we get across the street, he thanked me and left. As I was looking around to see where I was going, another blind guy came up to me and wanted to go across to the other side.

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/Bathingcap_zps4a0923ed.jpeg.html'>Bathingcap_zps4a0923ed.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Albert,

I was hoping to get your opinion on a Coral Beauty and a mated pair of Clownfish (Percs) sharing a 36 gallon tank. I know Clownfish are territorial, but if the Coral Beauty was larger, would they pretty much leave each other alone?

Eric

• Like 1

Hi Albert,

I was hoping to get your opinion on a Coral Beauty and a mated pair of Clownfish (Percs) sharing a 36 gallon tank. I know Clownfish are territorial, but if the Coral Beauty was larger, would they pretty much leave each other alone?

Eric

Hi Eric,

I'm sure Albert has an answer for you but I thought I'd chime in since I currently have a mated pair of ocellaris clowns and a coral beauty in my 30 gallon tank. I added all 3 fish to the tank at the same time and since then I haven't had any aggression between them. Once in a while the angel will get too close to the zoas my female clown is hosting and the female clown will snip at the angel, but other than that they get along perfectly. They aren't aggressive with each other over food either. My coral beauty is larger than my clowns but I don't know if that effects their behavior at all. I hope that helps!

Felicia

• Like 2

I am making a typhoon now with my diatom filters, I do this a few times a year and I found a large watchman gobi that I thought disappeared and he is much larger than I thought he would be. Changed color also. He was brown when I put him in, now he is yellow. Usually they go from yellow to brown. In an hour or so I should be able to once again see the back of the tank as it is a little scurvy now.

• Like 2
albertthiel

I went to Australia for R&R from Viet Nam and I was trying to cross this big street in Sydney. There are no traffic lights and seemingly any other traffic signs and people just drive any way they want. So this guy and another guy comes up to me and says something un intelligable. I said "What?" And he said the same thing. It sounded like Klingon. Eventually I realized that the guy was asking me to take the blind gentleman across the street. So he put the blind guy's hand on my shoulder and left me there. After a few minutes the blind guy said to me "whats the matter Bloke, I want to cross the street?" I told him I had no idea how to cross the street because the cars were going all over the place and there was no gaps. So he lifts his cane and drags me into the street. I covered my eyes and made it across the street while cars went around me on the sidewalk and all over the place. Now I worked in Manhattan for 40 years so I know about traffic but it is unreal there and I didn't know you are just supposed to throw yourself in front of the speeding cars and hope they go around you.

The guy was going to a blind facility across the street. So when we get across the street, he thanked me and left. As I was looking around to see where I was going, another blind guy came up to me and wanted to go across to the other side.

Bathingcap_zps4a0923ed.jpeg

I guess those were the days when they had not imported traffic lights there yet then ... must have been some experience ... I know what you mean about Manhattan as when I lived in CT I used to go to Manhattan a lot (midtown) and so yes there its the Cabs you have to watch out for and of course the potholes and the steam coming out of the pipes in certain palces from underneath the pavement so it can be quite an experience there too ...

Wow Greta looks super .... guess the fish will have to wait ... Greta is #1 for sure.

Albert

Thanks, yes I am sorry but you will have to see pictures of Greta from time to time, so some of you will just have to get used to it as I go back and forth from fish to Greta, fish, Greta.

She was in swim class there.

My tank is clearing up from the typhoon, I also found another gobi that I forgot I have. These guys show up when I disturb things, if now, I don't even know they are alive.

I did not find my new pipefish pair but the large, smiling watchman gobi may know something about that.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi Albert,

Eric

Mated Clownfish can be more territorial than clowns on their own and don't know whether they are hosting anything right now. If they do and if that Coral Beauty comes too close to that area you may get some bullying going on but the Coral Beauty will soon swim away from the area and learn over time not to go too close to the clowns ... since you have a 36 gallon it should be ok.

Pygmy Angels are mostly herbivores but some will pick on the slime of corals not to consume it but more out of curiosity it is said. Of course if this goes on for too long, this will irritate the coral and as a result it may not open up ... but in the case of the Coral Beauty I do not think that it will be an issue, but that is not guaranteed so it is a good idea to keep it well fed (good quality angel fish food, spirulina, vegetable flake, but it will also consume meaty foods but not as its main food source).

If it starts nipping at corals you will need to start adjusting what you feed so it leaves you corals alone, e.g. clam, mussel, worms, etc ,,, in addition to the herbivorous foods.

Now since that Coral Beauty (C bispinosa) is not yet in the tank what I would recommend is adding it to the tank when no lights are on and when the room is dark and if you can move a few rocks around if needed to create spaces that it can swim in and through.

Adding it that manner will minimize how the Clowns react as at night time they are calmer, and by the morning the Coral Beauty will have had time to get used to the tank somewhat as well and the whole procedure will be a lot easier and IME safer.

Hope this helps and, BTW, Centropyge Angels are discussed in great detail in my new book ....

And as Felicia posted things should be ok ... just keep an eye what goes on and if anything untoward happens let me know.

Albert

• Like 1

There is a store not far from me that has 3 flashlight fish in stock. I looked them up but it says they get 5 1/2" which is to large for my tank. I always liked them but they are a deepwater fish and I doubt they would do well in a lighted reef tank so I won't get them

• Like 1

Mated Clownfish can be more territorial than clowns on their own and don't know whether they are hosting anything right now. If they do and if that Coral Beauty comes too close to that area you may get some bullying going on but the Coral Beauty will soon swim away from the area and learn over time not to go too close to the clowns ... since you have a 36 gallon it should be ok.

Pygmy Angels are mostly herbivores but some will pick on the slime of corals not to consume it but more out of curiosity it is said. Of course if this goes on for too long, this will irritate the coral and as a result it may not open up ... but in the case of the Coral Beauty I do not think that it will be an issue, but that is not guaranteed so it is a good idea to keep it well fed (good quality angel fish food, spirulina, vegetable flake, but it will also consume meaty foods but not as its main food source).

If it starts nipping at corals you will need to start adjusting what you feed so it leaves you corals alone, e.g. clam, mussel, worms, etc ,,, in addition to the herbivorous foods.

Now since that Coral Beauty (C bispinosa) is not yet in the tank what I would recommend is adding it to the tank when no lights are on and when the room is dark and if you can move a few rocks around if needed to create spaces that it can swim in and through.

Adding it that manner will minimize how the Clowns react as at night time they are calmer, and by the morning the Coral Beauty will have had time to get used to the tank somewhat as well and the whole procedure will be a lot easier and IME safer.

Hope this helps and, BTW, Centropyge Angels are discussed in great detail in my new book ....

And as Felicia posted things should be ok ... just keep an eye what goes on and if anything untoward happens let me know.

Albert

I have your new book and I also got the PDF version too! The signed copy of the book was an unexpected bonus! Thank you Albert!

I read in your book about the clownfish and how they get territorial and aggressive, especially over time. My tank just got done cycling so there are no fish or corals in it yet. I'll probably add the Coral Beauty first.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi Eric,

I'm sure Albert has an answer for you but I thought I'd chime in since I currently have a mated pair of ocellaris clowns and a coral beauty in my 30 gallon tank. I added all 3 fish to the tank at the same time and since then I haven't had any aggression between them. Once in a while the angel will get too close to the zoas my female clown is hosting and the female clown will snip at the angel, but other than that they get along perfectly. They aren't aggressive with each other over food either. My coral beauty is larger than my clowns but I don't know if that effects their behavior at all. I hope that helps!

Felicia

Thanks Felicia ... and you probably saw my answer to Eric ... I appreciate your input to him ... and glad to read all is well with it and the Clowns in your tank

Albert

albertthiel

I am making a typhoon now with my diatom filters, I do this a few times a year and I found a large watchman gobi that I thought disappeared and he is much larger than I thought he would be. Changed color also. He was brown when I put him in, now he is yellow. Usually they go from yellow to brown. In an hour or so I should be able to once again see the back of the tank as it is a little scurvy now.

Well they must all think that a bad storm just passed by and you better give them some good eye seeing glass so they know where they are, and those diatom filters are still holding up I guess..

Good you found your fish back and saw it for a short while as it may go into its burrow again and hide or in the rocks ... :-o

Albert

I read in your book about the clownfish and how they get territorial and aggressive, especially over time. My tank just got done cycling so there are no fish or corals in it yet. I'll probably add the Coral Beauty first.

I think adding the coral beauty first is smart, and like Albert said, the angel will learn to stay away from the area your clowns are hosting. My angel swims all around my tank and has no issue from the clowns. She mostly avoids where the host, but when she does occasionally get too close she gets a nip from the female clown and then leaves. There's a never a fight and the clowns won't chase the angel once she leaves their space.

Thanks Felicia ... and you probably saw my answer to Eric ... I appreciate your input to him ... and glad to read all is well with it and the Clowns in your tank

Albert

You're welcome Albert. I just thought I would chime in since I have that combination of fish. That was great info you gave about needing to keep the coral beauty well fed. I make sure to keep mine well fed and I haven't had any issues at all with her picking at corals.

I actually made a video the other day of all the fish in my tank and there are a few scenes of the clowns and coral beauty interacting. I figured I'd share the link here in case Eric is interested in watching how they interact.

• Like 1