SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

I didn't put him in my reef for obvious reasons. I think he could chew through the glass. But Albert, If I collect another one you can add him to your Nano reef, I am sure he will behave and not eat, like everything.

Well not quite I think but they do grow fairly large like 10 to 12" and they have some odd behaviors like how they propel themselves through the water and how they can inflate themselves but not as much as Puffers ... The Pic you show though looks like a Pineapple fish but it is a bit small to be sure which one it is, but if you caught if off Long Island it would probably not be a Pineapple one ...

Now as to eating ... it would take care of your snails and crabs though .... loves those !

Albert

Guess who has had the privledge to snorkel here? :)

"8. Ras Mohammed National Park, Egypt

Covering the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula, this national park is the final landfall before the underwater wonders of the Red Sea. The park itself contains 20 dive sites, many of them among the Red Sea's finest. Two submerged peaks, Yolanda Reef and Shark Reef, are the park's diving centrepieces, and both are rich in marine life. At Yolanda you can look forward to diving among the wreckage of the Yolanda, including its cargo of hundreds of toilet bowls (and a BMW). The vertical wall at Shark Reef is prized for its concentration of fish and, unsurprisingly, sharks. All visitors must leave the park by sunset."

Les.

For You Divers Out There : The Ten Best Places in the World to Dive

© The Lonely Planet ... great site for more similar info

Wow ... some of them are just superb !

Just need to win the lottery to get to some of them I guess :-o

Link :

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/themes/adventure-travel/dive-into-the-big-blue/?intaffil=lpemail

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I wish he was a pineapplefish, but I think he is a reticulated burrfish. Here in the summer we get all sorts of things that come up on the Gulf stream. He was a little older here. Yes, He would loved those snails.

IMG_0153.jpg

Yes Paul would it not be nice if you could find Pineapple fish off the coast ... now that would be something to write about on every forum around .... but unfortunately I do not think the those come up the Coast ... not even sure that there are any in the Florida Keys, plus they need low light aquariums anyway and not very highly lit ones but according to some can be adapted to higher intensities.

And yes yours .. the burr ... would "love" those margin snails you have ... but any other crustacean too ...

Albert

albertthiel

Guess who has had the privledge to snorkel here? :)

"8. Ras Mohammed National Park, Egypt

Covering the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula, this national park is the final landfall before the underwater wonders of the Red Sea. The park itself contains 20 dive sites, many of them among the Red Sea's finest. Two submerged peaks, Yolanda Reef and Shark Reef, are the park's diving centrepieces, and both are rich in marine life. At Yolanda you can look forward to diving among the wreckage of the Yolanda, including its cargo of hundreds of toilet bowls (and a BMW). The vertical wall at Shark Reef is prized for its concentration of fish and, unsurprisingly, sharks. All visitors must leave the park by sunset."

Les.

Nice Les ... I guess you enjoyed that ... except maybe for the area with all the toilets and the BMW ...

Lots of fish in that area ?

Some info on that wreck site : http://www.aquatours.com/wrecks/jolanda-yolanda.htm

Albert

• Like 1

I snorkeled there while some others dived. More to see snorkeling. However I wouldn't have minded seeing the BMW bike. Divers take turns to sit on the toilets have have their photographs taken ......... wearing full wet suits of course lol. I could see the divers below but didn't get close to the wreck. I think it may have been there that I saw my one and only P fridmani darking in and out amongst the coral. The swell of the water was quite strong however.

Nice Les ... I guess you enjoyed that ... except maybe for the area with all the toilets and the BMW ...

Lots of fish in that area ?

Some info on that wreck site : http://www.aquatours.com/wrecks/jolanda-yolanda.htm

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I snorkeled there while some others dived. More to see snorkeling. However I wouldn't have minded seeing the BMW bike. Divers take turns to sit on the toilets have have their photographs taken ......... wearing full wet suits of course lol. I could see the divers below but didn't get close to the wreck. I think it may have been there that I saw my one and only P fridmani darking in and out amongst the coral. The swell of the water was quite strong however.

Gee that must have been some sight ... divers on toilets in the Red Sea ... I guess some go to any extent to get strange pics ..

So you saw a P fridmani ... that was nice ... very desirable too ... Orchid Dottybacks are usually in high demand and look great even in smaller aquariums but not too small ... considered very hardy but then you know all of that :-o

Albert

Hi Albert,

Got your Book! Awesome!

I do have a question though. You say in your book that Distilled Water is not as good as RO/DI, though it is like second best. Why is that? I thought Distilled would be more pure?

Thanks,

Brian

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi Albert,

Got your Book! Awesome!

I do have a question though. You say in your book that Distilled Water is not as good as RO/DI, though it is like second best. Why is that? I thought Distilled would be more pure?

Thanks,

Brian

It is not worse it is just second best due to the cost that one would incur if one were using distilled or double distilled since your typical hobbyists does not really have a distilling station that would allow them to make it themselves ...

Maybe I will need to clarify that in the Newsletter if it is not clear that the above is what I meant. Glad you asked.

Albert

• Like 1

It is not worse it is just second best due to the cost that one would incur if one were using distilled or double distilled since your typical hobbyists does not really have a distilling station that would allow them to make it themselves ...

Maybe I will need to clarify that in the Newsletter if it is not clear that the above is what I meant. Glad you asked.

Albert

So,

It is only not as good due to the cost. So for a 4 gallon Pico, where a water change is maybe a gallon a week, not too bad a deal? :) Yep ok. I am currently planning a 20 Gallon. This would be about a 5 gallon WC per week, if i want to keep the same 20% change weekly or even smaller WC's every other day, but just say 5 gallons a week on average, that' about $150 every six months So an RO/DI system would pay for itself pretty quickly on a larger tank, minus the cost of filters. hmmmm. I will have to look into that. Because I like the convenience of Distilled myself. And 5 gallons a week is not going to break the bank, only a little more than a gallon of Gas really. Don't need to worry about filters, or equipment running, or leaks! Just need to store bottles of Water. I have been buying Distilled for my 4 Gallon for two years now. All I would have to do when moving to the 20 Gallon is to get larger bottles of Distilled water :) Thanks for clearing that up!

• Like 1
albertthiel

So,

It is only not as good due to the cost. So for a 4 gallon Pico, where a water change is maybe a gallon a week, not too bad a deal? :) Yep ok. I am currently planning a 20 Gallon. This would be about a 5 gallon WC per week, if i want to keep the same 20% change weekly or even smaller WC's every other day, but just say 5 gallons a week on average, that' about $150 every six months So an RO/DI system would pay for itself pretty quickly on a larger tank, minus the cost of filters. hmmmm. I will have to look into that. Because I like the convenience of Distilled myself. And 5 gallons a week is not going to break the bank, only a little more than a gallon of Gas really. Don't need to worry about filters, or equipment running, or leaks! Just need to store bottles of Water. I have been buying Distilled for my 4 Gallon for two years now. All I would have to do when moving to the 20 Gallon is to get larger bottles of Distilled water :) Thanks for clearing that up!

Well in your case if you are happy and ok with acquiring it the way you do then you can certainly use it ...

And when you move up to a larger system then yes you will have to get larger quantities but as long as you are comfortable with the cost etc ... then by all means do so. As they say: if it works .. don't fix it ..

But depending on the size tank you go to yes you may have to start comparing the costs of one versus the other.

Happy Reefkeeping

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Picking up some more books out of storage tomorrow, that's two batches since I posted that Picture of all the boxes a few days ago ..

Guess I'll bring back another 15 boxes. Now you may wonder why does he always bring 15 and not 20 or 25 ...

Good question indeed ...

Answer : that's all that will fit in my car ... and it's not a Smart Car, but still 15 is all I can get in it and still see through the back window and the passenger side window ... and of course the trunk is full too.

Those are big boxes ...

Albert

Get the book at http://nano.athiel.net

• Like 1

Albert

You have put in tons and tons of work for this community and Im very thankful. I received my e reader version and was able to download it at work during a calm spell and its just great I thank you very much for letting my little old reefbowl be a part of your work, I wanted to be included with you and your writing since the day mrs awesome metrokat told me you were coming. being part of any reef publication has always been a dream I held and it really worked out, thanks!!

producing e readers, books, managing accounts and what I know to be a zillion pms on multiple forums is a job of itself Sir

I have bragged incessantly to my whole family thanks buddy

Brandon!

• Like 2
albertthiel

Albert

You have put in tons and tons of work for this community and Im very thankful. I received my e reader version and was able to download it at work during a calm spell and its just great I thank you very much for letting my little old reefbowl be a part of your work, I wanted to be included with you and your writing since the day mrs awesome metrokat told me you were coming. being part of any reef publication has always been a dream I held and it really worked out, thanks!!

producing e readers, books, managing accounts and what I know to be a zillion pms on multiple forums is a job of itself Sir

I have bragged incessantly to my whole family thanks buddy

Brandon!

Thanks Brandon ... I appreciate the kind words a lot ... and I will add more info about your Pico in the upcoming Newsletters ...

Glad I joined this forum ...and with 480+ pages of Posts I guess this thread has been doing pretty tell thanks to many who contribute and post Pics and ask questions and contribute in other ways as well.

Thanks for your own contributions.

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Now who would this one belong to ?

P4146434Midas2_zps69cc1ce2.jpg

Have a guess ... Should not be that hard to figure out .... and I believe this is #2 ....

Give it a shot ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Karen Talbot is an award-winning conservation artist and scientific illustrator known for paintings and illustrations of fishes, birds and botanicals.

Preferring to only paint and illustrate fishes she has observed and studied while diving, in her aquaria or in the lab, she frequently exhibits her work at natural history museums, aquarium tradeshows, reef conferences, and at galleries and retail stores.

I looked at her work and have to say that it is of real high quality and accuracy ..

I recommend that you check out more of her work, visitwww.KarenTalbotArt.com.

Below is one of her Works used with Permission: A Mystery Wrasse ... © Karen Talbot

Do not repost or reproduce without her permission.

Albert

Mystery%20Wrasse%20scan%20copy.jpg

• Like 2

Now who would this one belong to ?

P4146434Midas2_zps69cc1ce2.jpg

Have a guess ... Should not be that hard to figure out .... and I believe this is #2 ....

Give it a shot ...

Albert

FlCandy, aka Randi of course! :D

What a gorgeous fish, full of personality and quirks!

• Like 2

Karen Talbot is an award-winning conservation artist and scientific illustrator known for paintings and illustrations of fishes, birds and botanicals.

Preferring to only paint and illustrate fishes she has observed and studied while diving, in her aquaria or in the lab, she frequently exhibits her work at natural history museums, aquarium tradeshows, reef conferences, and at galleries and retail stores.

I looked at her work and have to say that it is of real high quality and accuracy ..

I recommend that you check out more of her work, visitwww.KarenTalbotArt.com.

Below is one of her Works used with Permission: A Mystery Wrasse ... © Karen Talbot

Do not repost or reproduce without her permission.

Albert

Lovely art. Did you see the Banggai Cardinal shoal? It is wonderful.

• Like 2
albertthiel

FlCandy, aka Randi of course! :D

What a gorgeous fish, full of personality and quirks!

Yes indeed .... that's the one ! Thanks eitallent ...

Albert

• Like 2
albertthiel

Lovely art. Did you see the Banggai Cardinal shoal? It is wonderful.

Yes indeed ... that is a great one as well but there are plenty of others I saw ... this is I am sure very tedious and detailed work that takes a long time to complete to get it all right, and the prices for the artwork are actually more than fair .. !

Albert

Yes indeed ... that is a great one as well but there are plenty of others I saw ... this is I am sure very tedious and detailed work that takes a long time to complete to get it all right, and the prices for the artwork are actually more than fair .. !

Albert

More than fair. I am looking at the humming bird art for a Christmas gift for my daughter. She loves them. We have many and they just started visiting the feeders here.

Thanks for posting that link, Albert. You are a wellspring of knowledge and resources. :)

• Like 1
albertthiel

More than fair. I am looking at the humming bird art for a Christmas gift for my daughter. She loves them. We have many and they just started visiting the feeders here.

Thanks for posting that link, Albert. You are a wellspring of knowledge and resources. :)

Thanks eitallent and glad you found other renderings that are of interest to you ... Karen has tons of them in all kinds of categories as is shown on the Web site ... I like the Banggai and the Mystery Wrasse particularly ... but some of the others as well ...

Great work she does for sure !

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

A view of Sara Redaelli's Reef Tank ... She is from Italy btw ...

Gorgeous looking tank and this is just one of many pics I have of the tank ... will post some more later

She is a member of my Nano Aquarium Group on FB ... and as other members post pics I will post some here as well ...

SaraRedaelli1.jpg

Albert

• Like 2