ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Yes I looked at images of Octopus coral and most come up with the Galaxea and some with Frogspawn but only 1 or 2 with Sympodium ..

Guess that was a real good buy ... and a little money maker for you ! Nice.

Good you did not get this Octopus one :

octopus3.png

That would have been a problem :-)

I guess you will post some pics of the frags once they perk up ... thanks Les

Albert

Or indeed one of these.

BlueringOctopus.jpg

Edited by atoll
This is the cheap as in £1 about $1.6 frag rack I picked up today. It is designed as a soap etc holder with suckers to attach in showers and bathrooms etc. The curved edges are great as you can fit it right into the corners of the tank.

Pic looking down on it.

Close up of my cheap frag rack in the tank with my Sympodium frags in residence.

My Sympodium frags shortly after introduction into my main tank so still not expanded.

Oxydatorpartscloseup011_zps02ec1fa0.jpg

Not the best pic of it in my tank esp as the waters surface is rippled as indeed all reef tank surfaces should be.

Yes that is a good find Les indeed ... and I am sure it can be found here at the $1 stores of which we have many, and where everything they sell is, as their name implies, $1 ! A lot less than what they are sold for through other channels. Thanks.

On the frags ... yes a bit hard to see but thanks for posting the picture. I guess you'll be able to show some better ones later on especially if you lift the tray up a little so the frags are visible ...

Gee ... I am still amazed at the deal you got for that coral that you could frag into 8 pieces.

Albert

Or indeed one of these.

BlueringOctopus.jpg

OMG yes I am glad you did not get one of those ... mind you I saw one for sale online not too long ago (actually Zeph is the one who saw it first).

Not only are they nasty, but they can slip through the tinniest spaces ... and can inflict a really powerful sting.

I wonder why they actually sell them ! Pest tank maybe ? But a dangerous one for sure !

Albert

Yes that is a good find Les indeed ... and I am sure it can be found here at the $1 stores of which we have many, and where everything they sell is, as their name implies, $1 ! A lot less than what they are sold for through other channels. Thanks.

On the frags ... yes a bit hard to see but thanks for posting the picture. I guess you'll be able to show some better ones later on especially if you lift the tray up a little so the frags are visible ...

Gee ... I am still amazed at the deal you got for that coral that you could frag into 8 pieces.

Albert

OMG yes I am glad you did not get one of those ... mind you I saw one for sale online not too long ago (actually Zeph is the one who saw it first).

Not only are they nasty, but they can slip through the tinniest spaces ... and can inflict a really powerful sting.

I wonder why they actually sell them ! Pest tank maybe ? But a dangerous one for sure !

Albert

Bluering Octopus is amongst the top 10 most venomous animals in the world I believe. They are not aggressive but if they bite you have but a short time to get help if at all. I have seen videos of young children in the tropics playing with them in their hands. They will bite if they really get annoyed. I once saw 2 in an LFS many years ago They had them in tanks housed high up and with bricks on the cover glasses but I don't know if anybody bought them. I have not seen any since and I firmly believe they should not be sold. Maybe you need a dangerous animals licence here now to have such things in your possession I do hope so.

Early to rise tomorrow as I have to be in work at 7-30am so I bid you goodnight. .

Nano-Animals, Part I: Rotifers

© Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.

Regular readers of this column will be aware that I have a fascination with the bizarre and weird. I guess this comes from growing up in central Montana. If one knows where and what to look for, some of this area may be seen to be badly disturbed ecologically; however, in comparison with most of the United States, much of it looks absolutely pristine.

In such an area wildlife abounds, and when I was but a mere lad I became familiar with all of the common sorts of the animals found in the area, from horses to horsehair worms to toads, horned and otherwise, various bugs, Black Widow spiders, and fishes of all sorts. Once I become really familiar with an animal or animal type, I "file it away" and go on to something different.

Lacking a microscope when I grew up, I didn't learn about microscopic animals until I was in high school, and then only cursorily. It wasn't until I reached college that I began to explore the wonderful world of the miniature animals and other organisms found all around us (and in us, as well, but that is another story).

The article deals with Rotifers in detail and includes links to a few Videos.

Link:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-01/rs/index.php

Albert

A Close-up Look at Tridacna crocea

© James Fatherree and reefkeeping.com

Several species of giant clams are available to hobbyists, but Tridacna crocea is one of the most popular,

if not number one.

So, I’d like to give you a close-up look at this species, including information on how to identify them, some of their basic biology and how to care for them.

As you’ll see, these are some very interesting animals, despite the fact that, for the most part, they seem to just sit around and look good.

crocea.png

Link: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/jf/index.php

Albert

Bluering Octopus is amongst the top 10 most venomous animals in the world I believe.

They are not aggressive but if they bite you have but a short time to get help if at all. I have seen videos of young children in the tropics playing with them in their hands.

They will bite if they really get annoyed. I once saw 2 in an LFS many years ago They had them in tanks housed high up and with bricks on the cover glasses but I don't know if anybody bought them. I have not seen any since and I firmly believe they should not be sold. Maybe you need a dangerous animals licence here now to have such things in your possession I do hope so.

Early to rise tomorrow as I have to be in work at 7-30am so I bid you goodnight. .

Yes indeed and I agree that they should not be sold as they are far too dangerous and unsuspecting hobbyists who are not aware of when they get dangerous (the blue rings come up) may get bitten and may not know what to do ...

But ... in this hobby, anything that people want to pay for seems to get sold anyway even if it should not and that includes wild caught corals that are on the endangered list ...

Video :

Have a good one and TTYL

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Dr. Sanjay Joshi - The Man Behind the Photons

© Reefs Magazine interviewing Dr. Joshi

sanjay.png

This past July, Reefs Magazine editors Jonathan Hale and Randy Donowitz had the opportunity to sit down with Sanjay Joshi at his home and office in State College Pennsylvania.

Known throughout the hobby via his numerous articles, lectures and Reef Lighting Guide database as the authoritative figure on reef aquarium lighting, we wanted to find out a bit more about the man behind the photons.

Link:

http://tinyurl.com/9zbrdrs

Albert

Yes indeed and I agree that they should not be sold as they are far too dangerous and unsuspecting hobbyists who are not aware of when they get dangerous (the blue rings come up) may get bitten and may not know what to do ...

But ... in this hobby, anything that people want to pay for seems to get sold anyway even if it should not and that includes wild caught corals that are on the endangered list ...

Video :

Have a good one and TTYL

Albert

Morning Albert.

Playing with death.

A short History of Boyd Enterprises, makers of Chemi Pure and Chemi Pure Elite

and a number of other marine Products

For informational Purposes Only (I am not associated with them, and am not compensated in any way `to add this info to my thread

Boyd Enterprises:

Boyd Enterprises was founded in 1962 by Dick Boyd, who had been working in aquarium stores since 1947 at the age of 17.

He had a love and passion for building and maintaining aquariums as a hobby. Through his constant experimentation to create his own filtration techniques, he developed the world renown Chemi-pure - the ORIGINAL ion filter medium!

In 1955, Dick Boyd along with three others founded the first Marine Aquarium Society in the United States. (FMAS - Florida Marine Aquarium Society - www.fmas1955.org)

In 1972, he and his wife Linda, moved into a house large enough so he could build his dream aquarium. It took two years, but by 1974 Mr. Boyd had constructed a 3,000 gallon aquarium that was home to various corals, fish and invertebrates.

By 1979 many of the living organisms and fish were spawning and reproducing within the aquarium, with no water changes for 5 years. Using one of the largest Eheim filters available at that time, and utilizing Chemi-pure as its only filter medium, he maintained his tank for 18 years.

Within that time, the aquarium remained a clean and healthy marine environment with few water changes up until Mr. Boyd's passing in 1992.

We at Boyd Enterprises strive to keep up his level of Excellence, Quality and Customer Service. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Note: Boyd Enterprises can be reached via their http://www.chemi-pure.com website

Thanks to all of you who have supported us over the years!

Link to all their Products ...

http://www.chemi-pure.com/products

vitachem.pngelite.png

clean.pngbags.png

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Morning Albert.

Playing with death.

Yes indeed. And here is a video of one opening a jar to get to Crab inside

Not what I would want in a home aquarium as they are also known to be able to get out of a tank through the "smallest of smallest" openings, even ones that you would never imagine they can get through, but "they can".

A swimming one:

bluering.png

On another note: did you see the thread on Red Slime Algae that I started two days ago ?

Albert

Bluezooaquatics Interviews Daniel Knop, International Editor of CORAL Magazine

and Author of Many Books on Corals and Marine Organisms

© Bluezooaquatics

The March / April issue of the English language edition of CORAL Magazine features large-polyp stony (LPS) corals, and the magazine’s international editor, Daniel Knop, has authored three of the features on this very popular category of corals.

Daniel, the author of 22 books, is undoubtedly an expert when it comes to LPS corals, and so we thought it might be valuable to interview him on the subject for Blue Zoo News readers.

Link:

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=370

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Family Pectiniidae - The Chalice Corals

The Chalice Corals from the Family Pectiniidae

© Bluezooaquatics

Within the Family Pectiniidae, there are currently five valid genera of coral according to Integrated Taxanomic Information System (ITIS).

They are Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, Pectinia, and Physophyllia. You will also see Echinomorpha listed as a genus, and it should be, although there is only one species.

These stony corals from the Family Pectiniidae are known commonly to hobbyists as chalice, scroll, elephant nose, peacock, lettuce, plate, antler, palm, and hibiscus coral.

They are, generally speaking, colorful, slow-growing, aggressive corals with many possible growth forms (as suggested by the common names listed above).

All may be considered quite suitable for a stable, established marine aquarium, and some are even considered hardy (though certainly none should be treated as beginner or “starter” corals).

In this article, we are going to look at those corals from the Family Pectiniidae that commonly take on a chalice-like growth form.

Read more at : http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=381

Albert

Cleaning Live Rock ... and maybe you thought nothing accumulated there?

It is quite amazing how much dirt and detritus and uneaten food and feces and whatever can accumulate on and in the crevices of live rock .... and when that starts to decompose it is going to foul up your water quality, and can give rise to all sorts of pest growths in your tank, included the dreaded slime algae (of various types and colors but mostly the red/purple type ones).

I cleaned the live rock on the left side of my tank a little while ago, and below is a picture of what doing so puts into the water column.

Some will resettle elsewhere but a good deal of it will get into your mechanical filters (or it should) and can then be removed from the tank.

Later this morning when the water clears up I will clean the other side after cleaning out my HOB filter's floss that should have trapped quite a bit of unwanted "stuff".

rockblow.png

No wonder the water gets fouled if that accumulated detritus and whatever is not removed.

Albert

Why Duncan, Your Whiskers are Tickling my Corallite!

© Charles J. Hanley and Quality Marine : Informational Article

There is just something about a Duncan Whisker coral (Duncanopsammia axifuga).

They are like a weird fusion of a euphylliad and a zoanthid.

These stony corals are Large-Polyped Scleractinians of the genus Duncanopsammia and are a relatively newcomer to the hobby in the US.

Though a large colony can fetch a premium price, a single head is much less expensive and can quickly grow into its own new colony.

duncanqual.png

duncanq2.png

Link:

http://tinyurl.com/9zvrglb

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

A World Without Coral Reefs: A perspective view

© By ROGER BRADBURY and the NY Times

Published: July 13, 2012

IT’S past time to tell the truth about the state of the world’s coral reefs, the nurseries of tropical coastal fish stocks.

They have become zombie ecosystems, neither dead nor truly alive in any functional sense, and on a trajectory to collapse within a human generation.

There will be remnants here and there, but the global coral reef ecosystem — with its storehouse of biodiversity and fisheries supporting millions of the world’s poor — will cease to be.

What would happen and what can we do? Article contains internal links to more information.

Link:

http://tinyurl.com/c6vz99g

Albert

Hello, Albert and all reading.

I would like to have your input on my dilemna. It is likely a common problem for newbies like me.

Hubby noticed some thread like organisms toward the back of the tank on the live rock. I thought, "Uh, oh." When I looked at them they immediately brought to mind Hydroids.

These things are too small to photograph without proper zoom lenses. :(

The best description I can think of is a white thread which splits into a few branches and the end of each branch has a circle of small hairs (like the end of a polyp on the Kenya tree). I touched them with a bamboo skewer and the little 'polyp end' closed not retracted.

I also have some little feather dusters back there. They are in tiny, nearly invisible tubes in the LR. When I touch those the 'fan' completely and quickly retract into it's tube.

Yesterday's water levels:

Temp. 80.6 F with daylights --> Salinity b/w 1.024~1.025 --> pH 8.0

Cal 420ppm --> Nitrates = 0 --> Phosphates = 0 --> Alkalinity 8.2ppt

I was able to pull some out with tweezers as is suggested in some posts but I can see that at this rate they will overcome my efforts. Are their presence a symptom of over feeding? Dead spots in the flow? Too much detritus?

I have a clean up crew of snails (Nassarius, Ceriths, Nerites, Colonista), bristle worm, Pep. Shrimp and Emerald crab. The tank is clean of algae and not much detritus.

My water flow seems like it is furious. I have a 200 GPH pump in a 12 G Nano Cube with an added Koralia circulation pump to the left of the pump nozzle.

I feed only frozen brine shrimp to the Citron Goby and only a few so he will eat them all. He eats them right out of the pipette. I have stopped feeding the sinking pellets to the Pep. shrimp because he can catch some of the brine shrimp the goby spits out.

I am considering taking that rock out of the tank and scrubbing it in a bucket of clean salt water. I have no corals on it as of yet. Suggestions?

Have any of you won the battle against Hydroids like these?

Thank you.

Since I do not have a pic of the Hydroids, I can entertain you with a pic of this little character, my new friend:

IMAG0846_zpsdd6c0607.jpg

Hello, Albert and all reading.

I would like to have your input on my dilemna. It is likely a common problem for newbies like me.

Hubby noticed some thread like organisms toward the back of the tank on the live rock. I thought, "Uh, oh." When I looked at them they immediately brought to mind Hydroids.

These things are too small to photograph without proper zoom lenses. :(

The best description I can think of is a white thread which splits into a few branches and the end of each branch has a circle of small hairs (like the end of a polyp on the Kenya tree). I touched them with a bamboo skewer and the little 'polyp end' closed not retracted.

I also have some little feather dusters back there. They are in tiny, nearly invisible tubes in the LR. When I touch those the 'fan' completely and quickly retract into it's tube.

From the description they could be or they could not be ...

Here are some pics of hydroids ... let me know wether what you have looks like one of these.

If they are hydroids they are very hard to get rid off (boiling the rocks, injecting with boiling water, glueing in, etc. are some methods) but before I try to help with getting rid of them let me know by looking at these pictures:

hydroid1.png

hydroid2.png

hydroid3.png

After we establish that they are hydroids I will give you a list of methods that some hobbyists have used.

It is near 11:30 here and I have to leave for an appointment so if you do not get an answer after posting your reply, it means I am out and not near my laptop.

Albert

On another note: did you see the thread on Red Slime Algae that I started two days ago ?

Albert

Hi Albert,

Yes I have been following it, some very interesting info and suggestions. I see Brandon's mentioned the use of H2O2 to rid cyno which as you know I have used to reduce/ get rid of by a different method which you are also experimenting with.

Les.

Hi Albert,

Yes I have been following it, some very interesting info and suggestions. I see Brandon's mentioned the use of H2O2 to rid cyno which as you know I have used to reduce/ get rid of by a different method which you are also experimenting with.

Les.

Yes indeed some interesting remarks and observations have been posted, and I am keeping track of everything that comes up and we'll see where we get with it ... need more posts though. So far so good however. There may not be a single solution but a combination of practices ...

On the other method: the Oxydator ... yes I know you have not had any issues thanks to using it and yes I am still experimenting with it but have not been able to make it work the way it should :-(

The spot treatment with H2O2 may work if there are only a few patches but if they have spread all over the tank then more drastic measures are needed and I am not sure whether too many would go as far as dosing their entire tank with it and what the effect would be on the corals and fish ...

Of course the dose will have a lot to do with that but even so, I am not sure that it is the solution as after they disappear since the root cause may still be there, they could very well re-appear after a short period of time.

The sure are a tough issue to deal with as many have found out ... only super good maintenance will avoid them showing up and what that entails is what I am trying to document based on all the responses I am getting as you have probably figured out.

Thanks Les

Albert

From the description they could be or they could not be ...

After we establish that they are hydroids I will give you a list of methods that some hobbyists have used.

Albert

No hurry. Thank you for looking at this.

The pictures you have posted seem similar. But the ones I have are branched. There are at least three branches on each "thread" or stem.

Here is a short video (20 seconds). The video seems to have better resolution than the pictures. The organism in question is at the center of the frame and sways in the current.

th_VIDEO0040_zpsb9244901.jpg

Fuzzy picture of it up close:

hydroids_zps6f979959.jpg

Edited by eitallent