Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TheDoogan's Shallow Rimless Reef

thedoogan

cool videos!

but seriously this is one of the nicest builds i have ever seen. everything about it is perfect, the build itself is a work of art

great job to say the least. following for sure!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As you can see in the sump pictures I have a Tom's Aqualifter mounted to the side. The tubing runs out the back of the stand and behind my couch about 7 feet away to a container on the other side which holds the top off water. Its placed beside the couch and behind a plant.

I would design your sump based on your own exact needs. The depth of the water is going to be determined by the height of the baffles. The depth you need will depend on your skimmer requirements and how much water you need your sump to hold when the return pump is turned off or in case power outage.

I strongly recommend Google sketch-up for figuring out what can fit well into your cabinet and sump. It was important for my design because everything is SO packed in under there. I needed to check product dimensions and placement before I bought stuff to see if it was even possible.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I'll likely be going with a custom design similar to yours. It's not an option to keep the ATO outside the stand for this build so things are going to get interesting. Likely multi-level...

How do you like your fuge section so far?

It seems pretty awesome for the price but its still way to soon to tell. It seems to be dosing consistently on a regular basis but I'm still dialing in how much to dose each day to keep my levels up. I'm slowly bringing back up my alk from 7.7 to 9 and calcium from 400 to 425. Then I will see how steady I can keep it.

Calibration is a must with these, I found pump A to be much slower than B and C. It runs at similar speed when it's set to speed 3 while the others are on speed 2 setting. Ive been trying to calibrate it by 5ml at a time and it seems pretty accurate when dishing out 5ml all in one go (it took some attempts to figure out how much time for 5ml) when I divided this time into 16 separate doses and tested it over 24 hr. it pumped out maybe close to 8ml on one pump and 6-7ml on the other. I think it does dose out these numbers fairly consistently over 24 hours with 16 separate doses though. We will see with more practical usage.

Having 16 separate dosing times on each pump is a nice feature. It also stores all your programming if power is shut off or it's unplugged which is also nice. I doesn't store the time if power is shut off though, but that's no problem. The timer lock feature is a nice security for human error in programming. You can set a maximum time the pumps are allowed to run, even if the programming is over that time. So if timer lock is set to 30 seconds and you accidentally input 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds on a dose, it will only run for 30 seconds.

I think it may be a good deal. I've heard good results from other people, time will tell.

cool thanks for the reply its going to help me make a decision soon

This is by far my favorite build thread i have seen. Everything is immaculate! I really cannot wait for this piece of art to mature. Great job.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I'll likely be going with a custom design similar to yours. It's not an option to keep the ATO outside the stand for this build so things are going to get interesting. Likely multi-level...

How do you like your fuge section so far?

Hasn't been much use yet, I just got the light's installed now. I know it will be awesome though.

Fun video! Nice build!

Love the rock scape!

Thank you!

This is by far my favorite build thread i have seen. Everything is immaculate! I really cannot wait for this piece of art to mature. Great job.

Thank you for the kind words!

Update

The coral QT tank.

These images were taken just after adding three acro's which are closed up.

they now have good polyp extension, especially at night.

8276889516_54eda504a3_c.jpg

8275828371_cc41255068_c.jpg

8275827993_b1e37e2f4a_c.jpg

8276887202_f2dff82526_c.jpg

8276887566_d300a45bc5_c.jpg

8275827689_a00aa35ae9_c.jpg

8275829239_f03e78a720_c.jpg

8251061357_73af261448_c.jpg

8251060231_a7be1a9fb0_c.jpg

Finally received the parts and installed the refugium light. It's made up of 5 blue Gu10 led's and 5 cool white Gu10 led's. These things get HOT, I was suprised. It may be a problem, they are too hot to press a finger firmly on for more than a second after they have been running for a short time. They are VERY bright though, I would have no problem lighting acro frags in the refugium B)

8275831717_09a08077d3_c.jpg

8275831489_8a332d827b_c.jpg

8275831301_b8b5f6350c_c.jpg

8276891542_7a815217ec_c.jpg

8276891300_68b08fc17a_c.jpg

Photos were taken near the end of the Radion's day cycle.

I'm in love

awhhh shucks!

did you make this tank or order it from somewhere? very nice by the way im wanting to do something similar

I designed and built everything but the display tank.

Looks gorgeous!

Love the tank dimensions, and excellent attention to detail!

Thank you!

Awesome tank! I thought i saw my shallow cube reincarnated lol.

I love how you made your light holder, very sleek and modern.

Your shallow cube was a HUGE inspiration for my build

Beautiful tank and living room :D

Is it still up and running?

Wow great build, the photography is top notch too.

Thank you!

It was sad to see Hype's tank go, but this one came just in time to continue shallow perfection.

Can't wait to see this tank filled.

Hopefully I can get it as beautifully stocked as his!

Beautiful!!! :lol:

Thanks!

Has anyone had experience with GU10 LEDs off ebay?

These things get very hot, I don't see them lasting very long. I had to remove the back row because it was pretty close to the apex unit and was heating it up. Anyone know of some cooler running GU10's I can use for the back row?

These things get very hot, I don't see them lasting very long. I had to remove the back row because it was pretty close to the apex unit and was heating it up. Anyone know of some cooler running GU10's I can use for the back row?

Have you tried running a decent size fan across them while there on?

I've heard they do. But I'd do what SD said.

Have you tried running a decent size fan across them while there on?

Not yet, they are running OK without the back row in. I still think it may be pretty hot for the life of the LEDs. There isn't much room in there but I was thinking of getting a 50mm x 10mm fan in there.

If space is an issue you could try getting a clear body computer fan and mounting it under the light blowing up. You'll lose some light, but with all those LED's I'd be willing to bet you could keep clams under it regardless.

Edit: After looking closer at the way its mounted I woyld probably do a single 100mm cpu fan to the right of the fixture

Hah clams in the refugium sounds awesome.

It's possible if I find a way to condense the bunched up cords to the right of the light. That or a thin fan to the left of the lights.

Archived