Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TheDoogan's Shallow Rimless Reef

thedoogan

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daym you this is nice and lots of patience. I can't wait to see more and how clean you will oraganize your wires and equipments

Thanks for the kind words! There are still some issues with the left side fan and micro bubbles from the skimmer I need to work out.

The tank went from 0.25 ppm ammonia to 0 in a few days. Months of seeding rock with pure ammonia makes quick work of a cycle I guess.

My god. Forget anything else, this is already a work of art. Want to trade tanks? :) Really, quite stunning and probably the cleanest I've ever seen!

My god. Forget anything else, this is already a work of art. Want to trade tanks? :) Really, quite stunning and probably the cleanest I've ever seen!

Wow! thanks! I'm glad you said that, I'm a professional artist and creating a living piece of art is actually the goal with this build. I hope to get it looking as beautiful as your 47 column was! :o

• Like 1
Wow! thanks! I'm glad you said that, I'm a professional artist and creating a living piece of art is actually the goal with this build. I hope to get it looking as beautiful as your 47 column was! :o

+1 to that! Your tank make me wanna start over because the fun part of keeping a reef is the planning, layout, and organizing stage with all the cool high tech goodies.

Yes Aaron tank 47 column is magnificent amazing, hope to achieve that goal too!

I'm definitely going to keep watching this build with interest! I've always been fascinated by reef tanks as tasteful decoration/art and am in awe of all those whose patience and planning let them take what ever so easily becomes a jumble of cords, cables, tubing, and wires into a clean, presentable ensemble. What are your long term stocking plans?

As for my column, I'm flattered but I assure you - there was a reason I cropped things at the edge of the glass ;)

+1 to that! Your tank make me wanna start over because the fun part of keeping a reef is the planning, layout, and organizing stage with all the cool high tech goodies.

Yes Aaron tank 47 column is magnificent amazing, hope to achieve that goal too!

No kidding - even my most recent build looks like child's play compared to this!

d'Espresso, I'd have traded my column straight up for your tank and be convinced I got the better end of the deal :) I lurk in your thread frequently.

Some progress

First thing, GFCI

Progress on the stand

Following .. this is going to be some build indeed ... btw what software did you use for all the renderings .. nice CAD/CAM program for sure ..

Reefmaster1996
Following .. this is going to be some build indeed ... btw what software did you use for all the renderings .. nice CAD/CAM program for sure ..

Your buld literally will be the main inspiration for my tank, It's funny almost everything you did with your stand and sump, I've thought of and visualized in my head, but it came to life in your build.

I'm definitely going to keep watching this build with interest! I've always been fascinated by reef tanks as tasteful decoration/art and am in awe of all those whose patience and planning let them take what ever so easily becomes a jumble of cords, cables, tubing, and wires into a clean, presentable ensemble. What are your long term stocking plans?

Stocking plans are definitely not solid. I would like to see mostly SPS and a few LPS but that will be a big challenge with this tank, let's see how it goes. I have always loved montipora capricornis, I love the way they spiral and create overhangs. I will definitely add a clam as top down viewing is a big feature with this tank. I will keep it light with the fish, the two clowns I already have and maybe, a six line wrasse.

I just used the free Google sketchup software which was a huge help in planning. The stand and tank were all exact measurements whithin the program, so I could look-up product dimensions online and come up with a layout and see if they will fit before buying.

I still need to figure out the lighting for my refugium. I was considering a marineland double bright LED fixture but I've heard some people call them garbage. Anyone have experience with these? Maybe I will go with GU10 LED's mounted on PVC fittings

Wow after seeing that christmas morning equipment photo I have no choice but to follow along. Just one question though, why a wood frame stand instead of steel?

Also Ive used the generic E26 base LED bulbs on my refugiums before with great results so I'm sure gu10's will work great. The heatsink fins can be a real pain to clean when they start corroding though.

I just used the free Google sketchup software which was a huge help in planning. The stand and tank were all exact measurements whithin the program, so I could look-up product dimensions online and come up with a layout and see if they will fit before buying.

Thanks, I'll have to look for that as the rendering are very good looking !

Thanks, I'll have to look for that as the rendering are very good looking !

Sketchup is a great tool, it just takes a minute to get used to the GUI since its quite different than most CAD programs. Once you do though its a ton of fun.

Sketchup is a great tool, it just takes a minute to get used to the GUI since its quite different than most CAD programs. Once you do though its a ton of fun.

Thanks, I'll have to try it out soon

Archived