Pod Your Reef

TheDoogan's Shallow Rimless Reef

thedoogan

Beautiful setup. Looks so sanitary!!!! Love it, can't wait for the livestock and corals. Question, where did you get the display tank?

Hopefully not for long, wishing for coralline takeover. I designed the tank and a local builder made it. He put in black glass overflow+ back panel and did a great job on the seams. Very neat work.

I thought I was Impatient to stock my tank.

Someone get this guy some dr. Tim's and lets get this rolling.

Seriously I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Thanks haha. Actually this thing cycled in two days. It's ready to go and already has a first inhabitant, a cleaner shrimp. I had rock seeding in a brute can for 5 months feeding ammonia everyday!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my Gu10s I have a few Royal Blue and a few neutral whites. I have 3 royal blue and 3 neutral white on my frag section and 3 neutral white on my fuge....plenty of light...Just hook it up to a plug and your set to go. Wire them the way tiny giant did....makes it a lot easier

For my Gu10s I have a few Royal Blue and a few neutral whites. I have 3 royal blue and 3 neutral white on my frag section and 3 neutral white on my fuge....plenty of light...Just hook it up to a plug and your set to go. Wire them the way tiny giant did....makes it a lot easier

Thanks I'll check it out.

Stunning. absolutely amazing build. The proportions are right on.

I am in the middle of a build and debating locating the Apex head and outlet box inside the cabinet. Are you worried about salt creep condensation?

Very nice system ... now you just have to start putting some life forms in it ... :-)

That's starting to happen right now :D

Stunning. absolutely amazing build. The proportions are right on.

I am in the middle of a build and debating locating the Apex head and outlet box inside the cabinet. Are you worried about salt creep condensation?

Yup, that is a worry I have. No signs of salt creep making it up that far yet, it's still early.

This is one of the reasons why I have the two fans in the back, one pushes air in and one pulls air out of the cabinet. I haven't been able to turn on the one pushing air out yet because it's close to the skimmer which isn't broken in yet and pushing out a lot of micro bubbles. Who knows if I'll ever be able to use that fan to push air out.

Here is a quick macro timelapse I did of my metallic green torch taking a poop.

gotta full-screen 1080p that!

8186707573_d12620872c_b.jpg

Got some new toys for the display tank, clownfish are moved in and happy. Updates soon.

Got some new toys for the display tank, clownfish are moved in and happy. Updates soon.

LOL

ROFL indeed ... nice capture ..

So I have the two clownfish in the tank now and they are doing well. I also transferred over my metallic green torch which has lost some color since I got it. I have the Radion on 30% intensity going from 20k in the morning to 18k, 12k, 10k mid-day and back down the cycle to 20k, 9am to 9pm. It seems this might still be a bit much for the torch, it's a little pale on one side with one small tentacle fully white. A few of the tips are also starting to turn white, but very minimal. Anyone have experience with the Radion and acclimation on very shallow tanks?

8189296545_a455b8505f_c.jpg

8190378318_11eb9536f5_c.jpg

8190378914_35743ea7f3_c.jpg

8190379086_d85315b62c_c.jpg

8190380346_21172fcc76_c.jpg

8190380928_9801a58766_c.jpg

I got a few new toys and some of the last pieces to the puzzle. The Marine Magic triple dosing pump and TLF reactor for carbon and rowaphos. Hopefully this dosing pump works out, i've heard decent reviews.

8197472270_0ebdd0ee15_c.jpg

8202581508_a3b4e352af_c.jpg

8201435381_f03e6ef990_c.jpg

8201435073_ea38ca3bfc_c.jpg

This is how I have to program it and calibrate with my setup.

8201434863_8b86ce05af_c.jpg

8202581508_a3b4e352af_c.jpg

Nice undercarriage, loaded to the brim but well organized. As for the bleaching I don't really have much experience with radion's but I have experienced this with some DIY LED setups in the past. I ended up just cutting hours because turning down the power was a crap shoot in most cases. I'd go 3 hr's the first day and add an hour each day up until the 5 hr mark and then add 30 min after that to a full light cycle. Colors would still fade out here and there but I think it was more related to running a low nutrient system rather than the light after I started using that acclimation technique.

I don't have any experience with the Radion on a shallow, but I have read quite a few threads that people wished they would have started higher because there was not enough light and they actually lost some corals.

When I first got mine I started off low and planned on raising the intensity and hours gradually, but I figured my stock lighting was very good so after a week I just put it on natural mode at 100% for 12 hours a day......no problems.

I'm a bit surprised to hear you're having troubles with the torch - typically they're pretty accepting of high light. I have mine off center but at the top of my tank under a Kessil a-350 on 80%. Have you been feeding the torch? I would expect it to be belching zooxanthellae were you hitting it with too much light. My suspicion is that your light isn't the culprit, or it's actually too low.

Archived