Innovative Marine Aquariums

TheDoogan's Shallow Rimless Reef

thedoogan

Reefmaster1996

It's not dangerous if you go to the beach areas and use some common sense and street smarts.

Oh and my tank is coming along well its still in the build process as I save up more and more money. I am currently working on my sump its 65% done, I just need to clean up the silicone off some glass panels and insert the section dividers and baffles. Check out the build thread in my signature I'm updating soon.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mexico's really not as bad as the media makes it out to be. The border is where you'd run into any trouble if you did. I always just drive right through TJ and have never had any issues. I've never had a chance to check out the eastern waters of mexico, but you've definitely peaked my interest with those gorgeous photos.

• Like 1

It's not dangerous if you go to the beach areas and use some common sense and street smarts. Oh and my tank is coming along well its still in the build process as I save up more and more money. I am currently working on my sump its 65% done, I just need to clean up the silicone off some glass panels and insert the section dividers and baffles. Check out the build thread in my signature I'm updating soon.

Glad you're making progress!

Mexico's really not as bad as the media makes it out to be. The border is where you'd run into any trouble if you did. I always just drive right through TJ and have never had any issues. I've never had a chance to check out the eastern waters of mexico, but you've definitely peaked my interest with those gorgeous photos.

Yeah the media is getting nutty with the whole thing. You're right though ,the border is somewhere you don't want to be though. Mexico has tons of beautiful places, i've been to Mexico city and travelled in all directions from the city to Tepoztlan, Taxco and San Miguel. Many trips and have not has the slightest problem. Taxco has a pretty insane DH race through the streets too, you'll need a change of underwear after watching this vid.

• Like 2

For sure most of my family lives up the pacific coast so I know Puerto Vallarta and north quite well. We used to go down and camp out for the enduro races in baja a lot. Mexico city was a really awesome trip as well with all the ruins out there. I really would like to see the gulf coast though.

That was an epic run, I always wanted to try downhill but I never had a bike for it. My friends and I would just ride street and flatland around the city since we could afford to grab a bmx frame for cheap and work in parts as funds allowed. I miss the days when I still had the time to go out and ride..

He's in vancouver, canada. Too bad for you ain't it.

Nope. It is about 1.5 hours from me. I go up there alot. Heading up in March for a hockey game.

• Like 1

Doogan, would you mind posting the dimensions of the aluminium flat bar you used for suspending the Radion unit? Looking at a similar solution.

For sure most of my family lives up the pacific coast so I know Puerto Vallarta and north quite well. We used to go down and camp out for the enduro races in baja a lot. Mexico city was a really awesome trip as well with all the ruins out there. I really would like to see the gulf coast though.

That was an epic run, I always wanted to try downhill but I never had a bike for it. My friends and I would just ride street and flatland around the city since we could afford to grab a bmx frame for cheap and work in parts as funds allowed. I miss the days when I still had the time to go out and ride..

That's awesome, I haven't been to that side of mexico yet but it looks interesting.

Wanna build me a stand? I'll come pick it up. Amazing quality.

Haha thanks, I would build if I had more space and a shop with table saw. I made that one out of my apartment which was quite the process...

Doogan, would you mind posting the dimensions of the aluminium flat bar you used for suspending the Radion unit? Looking at a similar solution.

There should be a bunch of details about it somewhere in this thread. It's 3/8" thick x 2" wide flat bar.

Green slimer :P

You can see discolored right side where it must have been facing away from the light in the tank it came from.

8462903669_694782bed3_h.jpg

Haha thanks, I would build if I had more space and a shop with table saw. I made that one out of my apartment which was quite the process...

I can wait while you do it. :D

Freakin love all the updates and pics. I thought the tank was my favorite part. Vacation pics r a close second. Hahaha

Thanks man!

You know how when you get a new frag, it's just hard to tell if its happy with the water chemistry flow or lighting... I think the blue tort frag I just got is diggin it's new spot.

8464238780_ae4a8f92df_b.jpg

• Like 4

Glad you're making progress!

Yeah the media is getting nutty with the whole thing. You're right though ,the border is somewhere you don't want to be though. Mexico has tons of beautiful places, i've been to Mexico city and travelled in all directions from the city to Tepoztlan, Taxco and San Miguel. Many trips and have not has the slightest problem. Taxco has a pretty insane DH race through the streets too, you'll need a change of underwear after watching this vid.

the good old days when my knees used to work lol. miss downhill and bmx so bad.

Love this red planet piece. It's a bit pale at the top and looking more pink, can't tell if its getting more pale but the green in the base is radiant!

8467171466_1e2c618a02_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks man!

You know how when you get a new frag, it's just hard to tell if its happy with the water chemistry flow or lighting... I think the blue tort frag I just got is diggin it's new spot.

8464238780_ae4a8f92df_b.jpg

LOL

I really want to add a smaller McCosker's flasher wrasse to this tank. What do you guys think? There are two small clowns so far. I hear these guys are jumpers and would consider a mesh top but I LOVE the open top, top down viewing.

Reefmaster1996

I am building a similar setup and I am going to buy one of theses they are very clean http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1810/ plus I plan on leaving it on when not around the tank but when I am around it I plan on taking it off for viewing purposes. It's post number 136 on this thread http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/287207-mr-microscopes-cube-new-movie-post-483/page-6

Archived