Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TheDoogan's Shallow Rimless Reef

thedoogan

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow after seeing that christmas morning equipment photo I have no choice but to follow along. Just one question though, why a wood frame stand instead of steel?

Also Ive used the generic E26 base LED bulbs on my refugiums before with great results so I'm sure gu10's will work great. The heatsink fins can be a real pain to clean when they start corroding though.

I didn't use steel because I have no experience with it and don't know anyone who would fabricate a stand. After running into extreme price gouging from services her in Vancouver, $375 quote for the radion mount. Simple aluminum bar stock, I paid $40 in materials and bent+drilled it myself. A metal stand is another story. I just felt much more comfortable using that and it allowed me options to easily mount things like the apex.

Great build. Definately stealing some of your ideas for my build :-)

Also go with gu10 and never look back. I have a fuge/frag section now with 8 of these and it's great. Cost like $25 for the whole setup. Ill be putting them in my 120 fuge frag as well.

Great build. Definately stealing some of your ideas for my build :-)

Also go with gu10 and never look back. I have a fuge/frag section now with 8 of these and it's great. Cost like $25 for the whole setup. Ill be putting them in my 120 fuge frag as well.

Awesome! Do you have a build thread with these?

Could you point me in the direction of where you got them? which brands and sellers to look for?

I didn't use steel because I have no experience with it and don't know anyone who would fabricate a stand. After running into extreme price gouging from services her in Vancouver, $375 quote for the radion mount. Simple aluminum bar stock, I paid $40 in materials and bent+drilled it myself. A metal stand is another story. I just felt much more comfortable using that and it allowed me options to easily mount things like the apex.

For sure, I can definitely understand going with wood in that case. The tank looks amazing BTW, very clean indeed. Do you plan on putting an acrylic door or something over the controller box? NVM just notice the glare from the cover in one of your earlier shots :lol:

For sure, I can definitely understand going with wood in that case. The tank looks amazing BTW, very clean indeed. Do you plan on putting an acrylic door or something over the controller box? NVM just notice the glare from the cover in one of your earlier shots :lol:

Haha Yeah, it's a glass panel covering the control box.

I just used the free Google sketchup software which was a huge help in planning. The stand and tank were all exact measurements whithin the program, so I could look-up product dimensions online and come up with a layout and see if they will fit before buying.

I need to create some drawings for the new book I am writing "Nano Reef Aquariums" and I may try Sketchup to create them ... easier than working with PPT and trying to make them that way ... I am on a Mac so not sure if Sketchup will work but I am going to look into it today for sure. Thanks for the info.

I need to create some drawings for the new book I am writing "Nano Reef Aquariums" and I may try Sketchup to create them ... easier than working with PPT and trying to make them that way ... I am on a Mac so not sure if Sketchup will work but I am going to look into it today for sure. Thanks for the info.

Ive used it on my Macbook before. The only issue I had was the materials window is set up differently and I could not get tranclucent materials to render properly in the workspace. I'm sure you could just export to a rendering program though once you have a complete model.

Ive used it on my Macbook before. The only issue I had was the materials window is set up differently and I could not get tranclucent materials to render properly in the workspace. I'm sure you could just export to a rendering program though once you have a complete model.

Thanks and I appreciate the update and recommendation.

I don't have a build thread but check out TinyGiant's. I ordered mine on eBay from a Chinese seller called lucklzrd. Each light is around $3 and the sockets are super cheap.

Simply amazing! Now i want to redesign my tank stand to house all my controllers like you have. I had this thought originally but i got too impatient and just stuck everything in side the stand..

Once again, AWESOME BUILD!

ReeferMadness82
:huh: So honestly, when will your tank be on display at the Guggenheim? This thing is a work of art!! I will definitely be following this build.
You have just set the new standard for tank builds, sir. Amazing!

That sounds crazy haha, this was my first real tank build :lol:

Absolutely fantastic tank mate. Big thumbs up from me.

Thank you!

I absolutely love this build. Quality stuff.

Thanks Arkayology

I don't have a build thread but check out TinyGiant's. I ordered mine on eBay from a Chinese seller called lucklzrd. Each light is around $3 and the sockets are super cheap.

Thanks! I'll check them out. What spectrum lights did you end up with?

looks nice! check my sig I have something very similar!

Yeah! I actually was looking at your thread during the design of my tank.

Awesome build!

Simply amazing! Now i want to redesign my tank stand to house all my controllers like you have. I had this thought originally but i got too impatient and just stuck everything in side the stand..

Once again, AWESOME BUILD!

Thanks, get it done! :P

:huh: So honestly, when will your tank be on display at the Guggenheim? This thing is a work of art!! I will definitely be following this build.

Haha thank you so much, hopefully My reef keeping is up to par and I can bring it to life.

Leatherneck3755

Beautiful setup. Looks so sanitary!!!! Love it, can't wait for the livestock and corals. Question, where did you get the display tank?

I thought I was Impatient to stock my tank.

Someone get this guy some dr. Tim's and lets get this rolling.

Seriously I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Archived