Top Shelf Aquatics

BIG 20 It's dog eat dog.

chrssprngs

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks fantastic!

Always good to hear. I like yours too.

Got my refractometer and pH meter today. Likey likey. No more measuring salinity with the two I have and averaging the results. No more shaking them to free up the pointer/float. The temp reading is within .2 degrees F of what my Coralife digital is displaying. My pH is low in both tanks. 7.8. Started buffering today.

albertthiel
Our 20 long brought back from the dead. This tank is a little over a year old. Started out with Corallife PCs and a cheap HOB power filter. Lost some zoanthids during the nudribranch war during the summer of 2011. Lost 2 acan colonies and several polyp heads of a branching hammer from failed RO system ( check you TDS on your RO system! They don't last forever, especially if you take it off line for any length of time.). I have since upgraded the lighting system to Current 4 bulb T5 fixture and CPR Aeroforce skimmer. I run one power head in the back behind the rock and one at the top front corner of each side. The tank has come along ways though still dealing with some of the fall out of the poor water quality problems I had. Fighting calerpa (feather) on severaly fronts and hair algae at few isolated locations.

I have a mix of corals and inverts. A mix of softies, LPS and SPS (montipora caps')

Sure looks good if that was a resurrection type tank ... wow ... nice

Albert

Thanks. Still dealing with flat worms. Keeping even with them. I'm going to give a blue velvet nudibranch a try. Any experience in that regards?

WOW!!!!!! Very nice. I'm working towards getting my 20L looking better. I could only hope it would look that good ;)

You have some pretty serious equipment.

Hey, do you have a better picture of the algae scrubber?

It's just the effluent from my skimmer and a little HOB filter. It is a win win on the skimmer. The algae helps with the micro bubbles and the micro bubbles help with algae nutrient intake.

Your srubber is in a hob filter? are u lighting it from above or under the screen?

I read the whole page on the scrubber site you posted. nice!

So could a scrubber work, lets say using a LF reactor with screen inside and spot light pointed at it?

Or the screen can not be 100% under water?

Nothing as fancy as high tech as that. One is my skimmer discharge and the other is my hob discharge. Lighting is from above tank lights. The link was posted by Kat.

Nothing as fancy as high tech as that. One is my skimmer discharge and the other is my hob discharge. Lighting is from above tank lights. The link was posted by Kat.

Tanks Kat for posting link.

well maybe I can use a 2.5gal tank for scrubber, water from overflow of DT. drill holes in 2.5g so it drains into the sump. actually have a few holes in cause a clog happens.?

What size of sceeen are you using on 20G?

timothymarsh

Very nice tank, you've even inspired me to move my tank into a slightly different direction. Quick question: Do you dose anything for this setup, and what brand of salt do you use?

Tanks Kat for posting link.

well maybe I can use a 2.5gal tank for scrubber, water from overflow of DT. drill holes in 2.5g so it drains into the sump. actually have a few holes in cause a clog happens.?

What size of sceeen are you using on 20G?

No screen. I just roughed up the plastic.

Very nice tank, you've even inspired me to move my tank into a slightly different direction. Quick question: Do you dose anything for this setup, and what brand of salt do you use?

I dose B Ionic two part Calcium/Alkalinity and alternate between Dr Gs Vitamins & Amino Acids and Brightwell's Restor. I use no salt mix. Natural salt water.

Link was posted by Albert. Truly don't want to get into the whole scrubber debate. I think nutrient export/control is a good thing. I feed my coral cyclop eeze, phyto feast and Mysis so I skim and harvest.

albertthiel
Left side view

05e62668.jpg

Mike C's Acan frag.

15732aae.jpg

Very nice looking and clear pic ... thanks ... I like it +1 for sure

Albert

Archived