inTank Media Baskets

Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

SantaMonica

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheese-Lover

I am so inspired! I think I'll make two for my fowlr. Hell. Maybe I'll make three!

Anything that results in my laziness is a plus right?

Racist

Wow, not only did you change my quote... But your status is "Let's Fight"

And, now your calling me racist... We just want to discuss algae scrubbers, I have no agenda or desire to fight you, child.

herranton

And, now your calling me racist... We just want to discuss algae scrubbers, I have no agenda or desire to fight you, child.

Whoa, this isn't RC. He's kidding, don't get your panties all in a wad.

We just want to discuss algae scrubbers

So discuss them. You are going to run into a problem on NR though. A large majority of the users here feel they are not fit for nanos. Everyone just as welcome to discuss the issue as you are. Don't get all butthurt because the large majority disagrees with you.

What product?

his product

deadhorse.gif

Floyd R Turbo
So discuss them. You are going to run into a problem on NR though. A large majority of the users here feel they are not fit for nanos. Everyone just as welcome to discuss the issue as you are. Don't get all butthurt because the large majority disagrees with you.

One of the things srusso and I set from the start on RC is that we were not there to discuss the "why" about algae scrubbers, or to try to tell people that you should not use this or that type of filtration and why. This is what seems to cause the polarization. There are dozens of thread upon which to read about both sides of this argument, and for most people, once they go through a few of those they either are intrigued by the idea and wish to try it, or they think it's not for them. I am not going to try to convince someone who thinks it's not for them to do it. That is beating a dead horse.

We recognized this early on and instead focused on the "how" for those interested. That is why I wrote the "Algae Scrubber Basics" summary which is something like 100,000 words and on most sites needs 14 posts to fit it all in. It is wholly focused on the ins and out of how to properly build the waterfall style scrubber. This Upflow version is much simpler, but still has it's considerations. So I chose to join here to help people who have questions about the "how". I really did not join here to debate the "why" for the same reasons I don't do so on most any other site.

So if you do not feel they are fit for nanos, I can understand because there are those who feel they are not fit for aquariums in general. I do not feel that way and do not believe that nanos fall into a special sub-class that should make me feel any different. So it is clear that we are not going to agree, but again, I'm not here to debate you on that point or try to convince you to "come over to my side."

So when you say "So discuss them" the thing I'm going to discuss is the "how" with people who are interested and want to try it. I really don't have the time or desire to get into a theological discussion for the reasons I posted on prior posts of mine (job, kids, etc). So I hope you can understand and respect that. I just don't think it's going to do any good to rehash anything when it's not going to get anywhere and has already been beaten to death.

He doesn't make that anymore. That is his SM100 waterfall scrubber and I posted about this previously. The light fixtures were even discontinued so it technically can't be made anymore. One could be made with the e-shine array that has 50 1W LEDs, but now they only make that in batches of 30 or more because there was no demand for them, only for the 3W versions.

HecticDialectics
One of the things srusso and I set from the start on RC is that we were not there to discuss the "why" about algae scrubbers, or to try to tell people that you should not use this or that type of filtration and why.

We recognized this early on and instead focused on the "how" for those interested. ... I really did not join here to debate the "why" for the same reasons I don't do so on most any other site.

WHY you should do something is the REASON behind your decision. I don't think the discussion can be any more relevant or important.

WHY should you jump off a cliff? Eh, no reason! Just do it! Here's how! lol

I imagine you all chose to avoid the why because there's really not any cogent reason over easier, newer methods of nutrient control...

herranton
So when you say "So discuss them" the thing I'm going to discuss is the "how" with people who are interested and want to try it. I really don't have the time or desire to get into a theological discussion for the reasons I posted on prior posts of mine (job, kids, etc). So I hope you can understand and respect that.

I certainly do understand and respect that. I don't think that noobs should be using ATSs, and I will make my opinion clear on that.

I hope you can understand and respect that.

If we are comparing a fish tank of any size to where all this stuff comes from (the ocean)... We are all running nano's...

What we are discussing here is how to use the same filtration method the ocean has been using all along. Harnessing that and becoming friends with algae, (yes Brandon, friends! Lol) making it work for us the same way we all do today with bacteria and the nitrogen cycle.

With LEDs algae scrubbers have no limits on tank size. Before LEDs where proven to work in the algae scrubber community we had CFLs and T5's... LEDs change the size/shape of the scrubber... Plain and simple algae scrubbers can now work for nano's also...

Floyd R Turbo
WHY you should do something is the REASON behind your decision. I don't think the discussion can be any more relevant or important.

I expected such a response from someone. If you read my prior posts close enough, you would notice that I mention in several different places that the 'why' in my mind has already been beaten to death and I don't care to bring it up again. Anyone can spend weeks reading thread about why or why not and I feel no need to debate this again. I agree it is relevant and important but I do not feel there is anything to say that has not already been said on both sides of the issue.

I imagine you all chose to avoid the why because there's really not any cogent reason over easier, newer methods of nutrient control...

You can imagine my decision process all you wish, and you would be wrong, because you are not me and have no frame of reference to my particular set of circumstances.

HecticDialectics

I really don't care if you feel like debating or not. The rest of us will continue to discuss it. Feel free to not click this thread if you don't want to see it.

I had it built but got whiff of a new ats design and put it off. Now I'm just waiting for more information on the UAS

The UAS is very intriguing for sure. I am still collecting data from my test units. It seems the air bubbles really need to be rubbing on the screen and I have found that the light needs to be close as well. These are first two things to be worried about then you can tweak and fine tune it.

Wow... sorry I clicked on this thread... pz out.. I nevar seez da TOTM TanQs with algae scrubbarz.. buh bye now.

The person that talked about the TOTM has a 180G mixed reef. That is hardly a nano either. All of us here know what a nano is!! Anyway I never put NANO in front of TOTM anyhow.

JamesHL88

Despite all my joking. I really am surprised that this topic is worth such a heated debate.I personally wouldnt go out of my way to add one to a nano, but im not denying that ATS can work. And i dont see why they wouldnt work on nanos. This perticular design looks interesting too. Not my cup of tea but i dont see anything offensive about this. The only thing offensive to me was the length of copy and pasted OP.

Now LETS FIGHT!

JamesHL88

And, now your calling me racist...

Congratulations! Thats firm grasp of the obvious you have there. Quite impressive.

Despite all my joking. I really am surprised that this topic is worth such a heated debate.I personally wouldnt go out of my way to add one to a nano, but im not denying that ATS can work. And i dont see why they wouldnt work on nanos. This perticular design looks interesting too. Not my cup of tea but i dont see anything offensive about this. The only thing offensive to me was the length of copy and pasted OP.

Now LETS FIGHT!

I have three 10G SW and two are reef mix. I have small HOB types I modified to work for my reef mix ones. The third one I just started to test the new tech that came out, its pretty gaudy as its just a screen and air stone next to the glass with a CFL spot lighting the screen. Its just a test unit so its not out for the world to see anyway.

There is a lot of heated debate but, heck, it gives me something to do at work LOL.

The person that talked about the TOTM has a 180G mixed reef. That is hardly a nano either. All of us here know what a nano is!! Anyway I never put NANO in front of TOTM anyhow.

I have a BC14.. water quality will be just as important in my 180G. As is why I'm going to run a big ass refugium and not a pad of GHA.

System Profile

• Display tank: 200cm x 100cm x 70cm (79" x 39" x 28")

• Sump: 145cm x 91cm x 31cm (57" x 36" x 12") with DSB

• Skimmer: Two Reef Octopus 5000 external skimmers

• Lighting: Natural sunlight with winter supplementation using Reef Inmates SPS 400W Extreme unit

• Bulbs: 3x Reeftech 400w, 10,000K globes that are supplemented with four Geissman Aqua Blue and 4x actinic 54W T5

• Controller: Profilux 3 eX unit

• Return Pump: MD 70 on closed loop

• Circulation: 2x Tunze 6101 and a 6201 pumps on a 7095 controller, 2x Seio M2600 pumps, Resun 15000 wavers

• Chiller: Hailea 1000C chiller

• Calcium Reactor: Reef Octopus CR300 calcium reactor

• Other Reactors: Waterboy dual carbon reactor filled with Waterboy Carbon (coconut shell based), Phosban 550 phosphate reactor

Maintenance

What would this hobby be without maintenance? I try and keep things simple and accessible so that I don’t spend the whole day doing tank chores. I do a weekly water change of 120L’s utilizing Reefchem Reefsalt which I mix at 1.026 SG. The ATS is cleaned every 3 weeks, I harvest about a 3rd which I easily just scrape off the glass, the same is applied with the chaeto which very quickly regrows itself. My calcium and alkalinity solutions are made every 2nd week, which I mix myself using pharma grade calcium hydroxide and sodium bicarbonate. The tanks glass is cleaned twice a week. Filter socks are replaced every 3 days. I change my carbon and Rowaphos when I see the tank is not looking sparkly anymore, usually every 6-8 weeks. Pumps are cleaned in a vinegar dip every 4 months or so.

youre ####ing serious?

I'm pretty sure that's not low cost ;) Surprised with all that high end equip that he could even grow nuisance algae.

If we are comparing a fish tank of any size to where all this stuff comes from (the ocean)... We are all running nano's...

What we are discussing here is how to use the same filtration method the ocean has been using all along. Harnessing that and becoming friends with algae, (yes Brandon, friends! Lol) making it work for us the same way we all do today with bacteria and the nitrogen cycle.

With LEDs algae scrubbers have no limits on tank size. Before LEDs where proven to work in the algae scrubber community we had CFLs and T5's... LEDs change the size/shape of the scrubber... Plain and simple algae scrubbers can now work for nano's also...

You are picking out specific part o the ocean. Do you have the complete ratio of waste producing/ waste consuming in your tank as the ocean? No. Do you have anywhere near the ratio of surface space on rock and sand per fish? No. So my question is,why would you want a giant wall of green algae, when you can add an appealing macro algae.

Not to mention, hair algae is everywhere basically in the ocean. We can grow it all over our tAnk, but then it wouldn't be worth keeping.

You are picking out specific part o the ocean. Do you have the complete ratio of waste producing/ waste consuming in your tank as the ocean? No. Do you have anywhere near the ratio of surface space on rock and sand per fish? No. So my question is,why would you want a giant wall of green algae, when you can add an appealing macro algae.

Not to mention, hair algae is everywhere basically in the ocean. We can grow it all over our tAnk, but then it wouldn't be worth keeping.

Yeah, I guess if I cant get that ratio right the whole thing wont work... right? lol

What is that ratio? I guess you must have it in your tank b/c your tank looks amazing right?!

Who has a giant wall of algae? That would be cool!!

Exactly! Why grow it on your rocks? Why not grow it deliberately, use it as an export and remove heavy metals, no3, po4 as well as naturally add needed amino acids that algae or more simply photosynthesis creates?

Archived