Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

SantaMonica

I for one am glad about the use of UAS with Nanos. And if this thread gets locked because a bunch of people got together and flamed the OP I will be highly pissed. Who cares if you all repeatedly see this thread on the homepage, skip on to the next like you been doing. Let the people continue on with our thread. There's more than one way to reefin. Keep all of yalls personal issues to yourself. Making this thread sound like when LEDs first hit RC.

Do you have one built yet? I have four water fall type and three of the new one that I am testing. I use to be dead set against these things like many of these folks here are to, I told folks the only right way was a skimmer, reactors, gfo, carbon, and water changes. I figure it like this, the ocean does not use any of these things but, it does use algae and billions of tons of it. I am not saying an Algae scrubber is the end all be all but it is a wonderful tool to have in your reefing arsenal for sure and if you chose not to its all good to because its a personal decision.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HecticDialectics

I'd build an ATS for my tank, but my nitrates are already zero, my phosphates are too low to read on any normal test kit, and I have zero algae problems.

If you all want, I can teach you how to set up a reef tank properly...

I also do zero water changes.

I'd build an ATS for my tank, but my nitrates are already zero, my phosphates are too low to read on any normal test kit, and I have zero algae problems.

If you all want, I can teach you how to set up a reef tank properly...

I also do zero water changes.

You didnt find the holy grail HD. My old 150G didnt have any issues. Pretty much the perfect tank most the time seeing it could complete the whole nitrogen cycle. One thing I could not do was feed my coral the way I wanted to. I always seen the more food they got the better they did. Especially the SPS. There are plenty of ways to get here, this is just one of them and its pretty easy to DIY and be cost effective at the same time.

HecticDialectics
You didnt find the holy grail HD. My old 150G didnt have any issues. Pretty much the perfect tank most the time seeing it could complete the whole nitrogen cycle. One thing I could not do was feed my coral the way I wanted to. I always seen the more food they got the better they did. Especially the SPS. There are plenty of ways to get here, this is just one of them and its pretty easy to DIY and be cost effective at the same time.

I also feed frozen cyclopeeze and mysis every day... :huh:

Like i said, I offer advice for free :lol:

I would like to hear your advice. Its free to let us know as well. How are you getting the last stage of the nitrogen cycle done?

remind me again, what is that last reaction kerry?

Reaction???? I was asking how he was removing nitrate? He said he was not doing water changes. I was wondering how he was exporting it.

Why would I remind you of anything???? Are you asking about Denitrification (anaerobic reaction) ????

:lol:

Cmon Lala. These ATS guys are experts. Just don't question anything they do and follow everything they say like it's science. :lol:

Sh*t, dont mistake me for an expert!!!!! I thought we all knew it was a cycle, its like the energizer bunny. You remember the commercial.

So where is this advice?

why is it that everytime you nr noobs get flustered you take the mrdicks approach and start with diversion ad hominem and misc jackassery?

HecticDialectics
Sh*t, dont mistake me for an expert!!!!! I thought we all knew it was a cycle, its like the energizer bunny. You remember the commercial.

So where is this advice?

It's an entire system. It starts from the first day you start cycling the rock. It's really not worth my explaining in this thread. Most people have no idea how to properly cycle rock. Most people have no idea when to actually add sand. Most people have no idea how to properly export waste. Most people have no idea how to set up a sump. Etc. Etc. Etc.

These people tend to resort to elaborate contraptions like ATS and hydrogen peroxide and constantly deal with algae issues.

I was asking about nitrate export. Then it was implied people with scrubbers where experts. I am still waiting for my original question to be answered. You ask me to remind you of a last reaction. You need to stop the diversion so HD can focus on the question asked.

It's an entire system. It starts from the first day you start cycling the rock. It's really not worth my explaining in this thread. Most people have no idea how to properly cycle rock. Most people have no idea when to actually add sand. Most people have no idea how to properly export waste. Most people have no idea how to set up a sump. Etc. Etc. Etc.

These people tend to resort to elaborate contraptions like ATS and hydrogen peroxide and constantly deal with algae issues.

Nothing elaborate about algae on a screen Sir. Reactors and skimmers on the other hand are but thats my opinion and obviously not yours which is fine but I dont bash you because of it.

Of course you want to add sand first so your rock can get under mined and fall over.

Most people have no idea how to properly export waste. Most people have no idea how to set up a sump. Etc. Etc. Etc.

So if these people dont know we can teach them. There are many ways. Its a choice how to run a tank. I dont have any problem telling folk that dont want a scrubber about skimmers, reactors, and fuges. I ran this way longer then I have with a scrubber.

brandon429

Hectic, your tank is a baby tank its as old as the growth on my thumbnail, your techniques mean exactly jacksit

in three years. Bet you find an excuse to have taken it down by 2014, time stamp this. Good writer, average reefer

I commonly see people with brand new tanks claim this and that, we'll see. you couldn't age a tank three years without major revision, public bet. Your honor system, even if you crop pics all day long if any assemblage of your current tank exists in three years from now I'll Paypal you a fair chunk to be defined in three, you know we'll still be here all geriatric arguing i'm up for it.

i dunno brandy, hd's tank might have no corals in it but he has some pretty impressive coralline and no pest algae. to me, thats a good surrogate for a healthy tank

HecticDialectics

Tank's a full year old. :lol: Still zero nitrates, no algae problems. Heavy feeding. :shrugs:

Haters gonna hate.

Hold on, I guess I can go buy 15 thumbnail size frags and make my tank look like a LFS display case so it can look as craptastic as most of the other tanks around here.

brandon429

I know the tank is off to a decent start nip once I read the thread to carve it up and decided I liked it, currently.

My bet is twofold

Obama will have money devalued such that my loss won't be too impactful and unless hectic grows his own coral controlling the entire chain of command one day a little bryopsis is going to find its way in on unsuspecting substrate. Import is inevitable. I was going to start the bet at two years but sure to the decent start I bumped it out one. The crux is that no manual removal was needed, magic tank care makes all unruly hitchhikers bow down submissively.

Tank's a full year old. :lol: Still zero nitrates, no algae problems. Heavy feeding. :shrugs:

Haters gonna hate.

Hold on, I guess I can go buy 15 thumbnail size frags and make my tank look like a LFS display case so it can look as craptastic as most of the other tanks around here.

I resent that.

this study was JUST completed by myself, over a period of precisely 6.21 minutes in a system of 12 fl. oz. of Yeugling traditional Lager.

Please take careful consideration of this before you all go bashing each other about nutrient exports and whatnots.

78779112.png

brandon429

Floyd no proof just a lil guesstally

its seeing several hundred thousand view threads combined from here, Rc, every board on the Web etc

If not the highest total view count, the fastest aggregation at least. the threads draw passion and extreme polarity, we can't help but post

Tractor beam, sucks you right in

I did chuckle at that Malawian good call.

Please do start a thread and share your method, I am very interested. Share a link here or PM me if you had already posted it, honestly I would like to hear what you have to say about the proper ways of doing all that stuff. Heck, I think a lot of us do! Until you do share this information, don't knock someone who is sharing a method, that works!

Hello all, I am a big supporter of the algae scrubber community. After I read what was happening in this thread I felt I had to register to help clear the air. Some may know me from reef central, same username.

Yes, first post here. Can you believe it?

Wow 32K+ you must be like the grand master! :o

Do you have one built yet? I have four water fall type and three of the new one that I am testing. I use to be dead set against these things like many of these folks here are to, I told folks the only right way was a skimmer, reactors, gfo, carbon, and water changes. I figure it like this, the ocean does not use any of these things but, it does use algae and billions of tons of it. I am not saying an Algae scrubber is the end all be all but it is a wonderful tool to have in your reefing arsenal for sure and if you chose not to its all good to because its a personal decision.

I had it built but got whiff of a new ats design and put it off. Now I'm just waiting for more information on the UAS

Archived