Top Shelf Aquatics

Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

SantaMonica

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brandon429

K let me ask it like this. How is a hob filter modified to contain the full blast of an airstone while venting the positive air pressure

Its even tough to contain in 10 gallon + tanks, much less something 9 inches tall, salt creep is tough.

Is there a lid mod

using lids on bubbling saltwater setups that rest on the outer diameter of the box is really a tough containment approach. Obviously its being done well, just wanted to know how its contained.

SantaMonica

Well what you are describing is not what I posted, so I would need a pic to see what you are trying to build.

Floyd R Turbo

brandon I too am confused by your question. Are you sure you are looking at the picture correctly? It's not an external filter, there's no airstone outside the tank. There's no salt creep issue because the airstone and container with holes is inside the tank, I assume with the holes above the waterline or maybe right at it, salt creep would get rinsed off each time you clean the screen weekly.

brandon429

Oh I must be misinterpreting the build pics. I thought that external filter, the hob, had its media pad replaced with the ATS screen and was bubbled in that hob

Amphiprion1

Hmm, scale and light bleed on these looks to be fairly manageable. I may give one of the newer versions a shot in the near future.

The new Hang-On-Glass UAS with bubble remover:

Post2.jpg

If I had a larger tank I would actually maybe consider somthing like that. How much heat is added with the cfl presumably against the glass?

Amphiprion1
If I had a larger tank I would actually maybe consider somthing like that. How much heat is added with the cfl presumably against the glass?

If it is just 12w as indicated in the diagram, it shouldn't contribute too much heat, I'd imagine.

SantaMonica

Almost all the heat goes up, although a cfl would need larger vent holes. Glass does not really get warm at all because of the water behind it.

• 3 weeks later...
SantaMonica

Everybody loves growth pictures:

Day 1:

hog.5-7.jpg

Day 2:

hog.5-8.jpg

Day 3:

hog.5-9.jpg

Day 4:

hog.5-10.jpg

Day 5:

hog.5-11.jpg

Day 6:

hog.5-12.jpg

Day 7:

hog.5-13.jpg

Day 8:

hog.5-14.jpg

Day 9:

hog.5-15.jpg

7 Days of growth after first cleaning:

hog.5-16.jpg

Video of first cleaning after 9 days of growth from a new screen:

Video of 7 days of growth after the first cleaning:

Time to eat more TV dinners and save those trays :)

jedimasterben
Is it just me or did the pics get progressively more out of focus?

Not just you lol, but I don't think that's the point.

SantaMonica

Yes they are out of focus because pics are the last on my list of things to figure out :)

seems low cost to me.

That's the benefit I see. I cant afford a phos react, or a good quality skimmer, needless to say I dont have room for any of that stuff. I've taken my CUC, put them right on top of piles of gha, and they run away like its poison.

I'll give it a shot. I dont even have to buy anything, have all the supplies laying around somewhere.

I have nothing to lose.

Deleted User 3

Is it plastic? bleach it, scrub it, rinse it with RODI or whatever freshwater you use, then soak it in freshwater with something that eliminates chlorine & cloramine and stuff like that for a couple days, if you can still smell chlorine after that, soak some more. If it was rock I'd suggest baking it after soaking it for 24 hrs, but it looks like plastic. :)

^^ to that person btw.

LOL, no,no!!! Its an Algae Scrubber. Its a filtration system that eliminates nutrients in your tank and keeps algae from growing in your tank.

Archived