Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

SantaMonica

Post4.jpg

this is an interesting build..

I'd like to see a stand alone unit that can be hooked up like a canister filter... that would be interesting..

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Important videos to help you understand algae filtering...

- Ocean Productivity

- Photosynthesis part 1

- Food Chains vs. Food Webs

- Nutrients and Primary Production

- Chlorophyll

- Zooplankton and Primary Production

- Bacteria

- Food Webs

- Microbial Food Web

- Trophic Pyramids
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
HOB design...

P6.jpg

Anyone have recommendations for a manufacturer that would be good to build these units?

This set up looks interesting! Any links to the light builds or where you would purchase lights?

R.

Light build?

For lights, I think 2 or 4 or 6 three-watt leds would be easier to build. The bubbles diffuse the light.

• 1 month later...

Some more UAS upflow algae scrubber examples...

"Joey2525" on the CMF site...

UasJoey2525OnCMF-4.jpg

UasJoey2525OnCMF-1.jpg

UasJoey2525OnCMF-2.jpg

UasJoey2525OnCMF-3.jpg

"Alexleblanc" on the scrubber site...

UasAlexleblancOnAS-2.jpg

UasAlexleblancOnAS-1.jpg

UasAlexleblancOnAS-4.jpg

UasAlexleblancOnAS-5.jpg

"Disney" on the PH841 site...

UasDisneyOnPh84-1.jpg

UasDisneyOnPh84-2.jpg

"Cdm2012" on the scrubber site...

UasCdm2012onAS-3.jpg

UasCdm2012onAS-1.jpg

UasCdm2012onAS-2.jpg

"Bicyclebill" on the PNWMAS site

UasBicyclebillOnPNWMAS-3.jpg

UasBicyclebillOnPNWMAS-2.jpg

UasBicyclebillOnPNWMAS-1.jpg

"Mbonus" on the scrubber site...

UasMbonusOnAS-1.jpg

"UasIslakkie" on the UR site...

UasIslakkieOnUR-1.jpg

UasIslakkieOnUR-2.jpg

"Alman" on the AH site...

UasAlmanOnIAH-1.jpg

"JosephAcquario" on another site...

UasJosephAcquario-2.jpg

UasJosephAcquario-1.jpg

"Ericsson" on the scrubber site...

UasEricssonOnAS-2.jpg

UasEricssonOnAS-1.jpg

UasEricssonOnAS-3.jpg

"FotisGt" on the AZ site...

UasFotisGtAquazone-1.jpg

UasFotisGtAquazone-2.jpg

UasFotisGtAquazone-3.jpg

"Colin" on the PNWMAS site...

UasColinOnPNWMAS-1.jpg

"Accrod" on the PH841 site...

UasAccrodOnPH84-1.jpg

"Atari" on the MC site...

UasAtariOnMC-1.jpg

"Kaykay" on the SG site...

UasKaykayOnSG-1.jpg

"Jameshopper" on the UR site...

UasJameshopperOnUR-1.jpg

UasJameshopperOnUR-2.jpg

xerophyte_nyc

Why do I think an algae scrubber may be superior to other methods? It's not just the ability to remove N and P, because there other ways to do that. It's the ability to feed the reef in a glass box without as much fear of "pollution" and create an environment more similar to habitat. Not to mention the ridiculous pod production.

If you don't like filter feeders, or are content with limited livestock or limited feeding, and of course if your current husbandry works for you, then an algae scrubber is clearly unnecessary but it would be foolish to discount it's benefits.

Personally, I would still like to see some more results and read more about some things that have not been fully elucidated - like how to deal with N or P limitations that can hinder a scrubber's efficacy, and what impact bacteria play. Even more interesting is, it is possible to farm specific algal strains that may be better at outcompeting others at given nutrient loads, wavelengths of light, and photoperiod?

Even if you despise the thought of using an algae scrubber, at the very least, if you are a true "reefer", you should find it more than interesting that understanding algae can help you better understand how things work in our amazing little mini-oceans. Who would've thought that we'd be discussing DOCs, photosynthesis and phosphate binding when you first started in this hobby!

I dont see any problem with algae scrubbing its been going on for so many decades if it had terrible side effects we'd know by now. With the miniaturization and repeated cleaning SM addressed the yellowing issues of yesteryear so I think its all great.

I think one limitation for it that hasn't been covered much is assisting algal invasion in systems where phosphates are bound to rock and directly leaching into algal masses. The scrubbers can only handle whats in the water column. no big deal tho, every method has drawbacks nothing is 100% perfect. if I ever build another micro pico Id consider some variation of his ats so I don't have to do the large water changes. Currently no pico under 2.5 gallons has been set up with a long term ats Id like to see how well the filter species of algae are contained and not spread around such a small tank.

xerophyte_nyc
I think one limitation for it that hasn't been covered much is assisting algal invasion in systems where phosphates are bound to rock and directly leaching into algal masses. The scrubbers can only handle whats in the water column.

That's why in my current new tank build, I acid washed and lanthanum bathed my dry rock to try and eliminate as much of the superficially bound organic stuff as possible, before I added it to the display.

But if there is bound phosphate that has algae growing right on the rock, I think that a strategy would be to periodically drain the tank and spray some peroxide to kill the algae - then let the contents dissolve in the water and be processed by other means (live rock, media, algae scrubber, etc.) - and repeat this until all the phosphate is pulled from the rock and exported. Not easy by any means, but I imagine it could be done if you were committed.

That's some thorough prep on the new tank man. Talk about combining all the new techniques into one...zero sum phosphate right off the bat. That build thread needs to be watched id be amazed if any nutrient based invader could thrive

Sounds solid

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this question in the general discussion but someone recommended I post it here.....

I'm curious if foks have tried the Santa Monica Upflow Algae Scrubber on Nano Cube 28? Does it fit easily? Where do you put it? Does it work well/would you recommend it?

Thanks

I posted this question in the general discussion but someone recommended I post it here.....

I'm curious if foks have tried the Santa Monica Upflow Algae Scrubber on Nano Cube 28? Does it fit easily? Where do you put it? Does it work well/would you recommend it?

Thanks

I found out the dimensions of the Santa Monica Upflow Algae Scrubber and it is a little too wide for any of the back compartments of the nano cube 28. The widest compartment is the middle one which is 5 " wide.

Does anyone sell a UAS that would fit in the middle compartment of the nano with the media tray?

Santa Monica....is your current UAS modifiable to by narrower or do you have plans to make a narrower or smaller one. I know I could put it on the display glass but I don't want it in there but I'd love to have one for the back compartments.

• 3 months later...
SantaMonica
Air Pump Recommendations for UAS® upflow algae scrubbers®. Having bought and tried all of these, here are the best ones:

Flow (highest to lowest):

Coralife Super Luft... TONS of flow for multiple outlets or multiple scrubbers

Tetra Whisper 300... High flow if both outlets are combined into one

JW Aquatic Fusion 700... High flow if both outlets are combined into one

Tetra Whisper 150... Good flow for one outlet

Coralife Luft (regular)... Good flow for one outlet

Noise (most to least):

Coralife Super Luft... (Loud; vibrates)

Coralife Luft (regular)... (Vibrates)

JW Aquatic Fusion 700... Slight vibration

Tetra Whisper 300... Silent

Tetra Whisper 150... Silent

Size: (big to small):

Tetra Whisper 300... Large

JW Aquatic Fusion 700... Medium

Coralife Super Luft... Medium

Tetra Whisper 150... Medium

Coralife Luft (regular)... Small

Cost (most to least):

Coralife Super Luft

Coralife Luft (regular)

Tetra Whisper 300

Tetra Whisper 150

JW Aquatic Fusion 700

Overall winner for a single UAS scrubber used at home: JW Aquatic Fusion 700 (also is the only one with adjustable flow)

Overall winner for multiple UAS scrubbers if noise if ok: Coralife Super Luft
  • 5 weeks later...
Drift Monkey

wcfu5h.jpg

This looks like it can be easily adapted to any sump with an overflow. Is the flow from a typical overflow enough to stimulate/sustain algae growth?

SantaMonica

Really depends on the flow and size. But it's easy to test... just stick the hose down there and see how many bubbles there are :)

• 3 weeks later...

If I got the small version for my 25 gallon would I need to take out my skimmer?

I feel like it might be overkill to have both along with a filter sock

but as of right now I am still having red slime and bryopsis problems with a skimmer and gfo reactor

SantaMonica

If you put any properly-sized and operated algae scrubber into your system, you can remove your skimmer and sock because they do not remove any ammonium, nitrite, nitrate or phosphate; instead they only remove or trap food particles. The reactor could stay for a while, since it does remove phosphate, until you are harvesting lots of algae from your scrubber.

19jeffro83
ok so read the first paragraph, and it looks like your not actually solving the problem, just getting it off your rocks.
this is the same concept of chaeto... If you're using it.
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a very low cost way to build an upflow scrubber. It does need a sump below the display, however. You'll want to position the overflow hose so that the most bubbles are generated in the growth area.

post-38058-0-09969100-1380417961_thumb.jpg

post-38058-0-86313500-1380417981_thumb.jpg

post-38058-0-97724100-1380418012_thumb.jpg

Archived