Coral Vue Hydros

new kessil A350.. just out***post your pics***

randythefishdude

Are u guys saying that the 350 has a tighter spread than the 150? Cause I have the 150 over my 18 inch cube and it looks awesome. I also don't really see how the led point source is significantly smaller than a halide. A halide light source is about 1- 1.5 inches. Negligible difference IMO

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got mine in, its a lot brighter than the a150 visually. At minimal power, the color is beautiful. Full power is too blue for my taste; but that should translate well for most hobbyists as I prefer a more yellow/"whiter" spectrum.

Overall I liked the a150 more, I dont really care about mixing colors. If they gave me the ability to dim a 10k a350, or even ore thats only slightly bluer, I'd be a happy camper

Did you get a discount like you wanted?

randythefishdude

lol that tank is huge in the pics with the shadows .....i really dont think people know what size of a tank to use it on yet .....all i have to say is smaller tank +wide angle lense would be pretty good ..i dont think any one of us could tell unless we saw it for our selves

lol that tank is huge in the pics with the shadows .....i really dont think people know what size of a tank to use it on yet .....all i have to say is smaller tank +wide angle lense would be pretty good ..i dont think any one of us could tell unless we saw it for our selves

+1 A tank that size would traditionally be lit by more than 1 metal halide. my 150 looks sweet in person and my corals love it (not just one side of them)

"I know, I know" screamed the broadway stage lighting consultant. "Let's get rid of all these lights that are spread evenly across the ceiling of the stage, kill the footlights, and take down those spotlights that are mounted on the balcony behind the audience. Instead, we'll dangle one huge light above the center of the stage and it will light up everything just as well!"

Form follows function. Or in Kessil's case, function follows form. This light is a solution in search of a problem.

The reason no one has figured out a tank this light works well on, is because there isn't a tank this light works well on. I take that back, it lit up that mason jar with water pretty nicely.

Sorry, if you think this light looks good on your tank, I

Don't think you are actually looking at it.

richardcharliesam

Gorgeous fixtures. But from the tank pictures and close ups of shadows, they look like they have some serious short-comings. Shame.

You guys are funny. so dramatic. To each his own. There are plenty of people who will love this light. don't be scared off by the people who don't like it. They are entitled to their opinion. There are plenty of positives that make this light more than a solution looking for a problem.

You will love this light if:

you hate disco effect with color shadows

you want your corals to grow like crazy and have the colors pop

you want a sleek, minimalist form factor

"I know, I know" screamed the broadway stage lighting consultant. "Let's get rid of all these lights that are spread evenly across the ceiling of the stage, kill the footlights, and take down those spotlights that are mounted on the balcony behind the audience. Instead, we'll dangle one huge light above the center of the stage and it will light up everything just as well!"

Form follows function. Or in Kessil's case, function follows form. This light is a solution in search of a problem.

The reason no one has figured out a tank this light works well on, is because there isn't a tank this light works well on. I take that back, it lit up that mason jar with water pretty nicely.

Sorry, if you think this light looks good on your tank, I

Don't think you are actually looking at it.

This is what you decided type up as your first post?

If we try and follow your analogy we're mounting lights on our substrate? or on the floor in front of the tank pointing up at it? and from behind our couches from where we view the tank? How was this story about a "broadway stage lighting consultant" supposed to make sense in regards to an aquarium?

I think for this thread to be in anyway helpful to potential buyers, people who post their opinions should really come out and say whether they own the actual light or not.

I can't tell if people are speaking their minds after having used this light on their tanks or if they are merely reiterating statements of what others have said and simply just buying into it.

If you say good/bad things about this light, please tell us if you've had it and if you have, pictures please :)

Seeing as how I've always run T-5HO on my tanks, I have no experience in running LEDs.

Now forgiving my ignorance; I was interested in getting two a350Ws for my 40 breeder and seeing the negative opinions on the Kessil and them seeming valid, as a point light source would obviously create shadows compared to something with even coverage like T-5, why do people seem to go crazy with par38s? The source of light is larger but wouldn't it create mostly the same shadowing and is there a better option?

I like the idea of running LEDs, beats buying 4 bulbs at ~$25 a piece every 6 or so months and if able to get something in a pendant form, not having a big bulky light fixture that always gets in the way of maintenance, but there are too many opinions.

*don't know where 36 breeder came from...

Seeing as how I've always run T-5HO on my tanks, I have no experience in running LEDs.

Now forgiving my ignorance; I was interested in getting two a350Ws for my 36 breeder and seeing the negative opinions on the Kessil and them seeming valid, as a point light source would obviously create shadows compared to something with even coverage like T-5, why do people seem to go crazy with par38s? The source of light is larger but wouldn't it create mostly the same shadowing and is there a better option?

I like the idea of running LEDs, beats buying 4 bulbs at ~$25 a piece every 6 or so months and if able to get something in a pendant form, not having a big bulky light fixture that always gets in the way of maintenance, but there are too many opinions.

You are right. The difference in spread from a par 38 or boost led compared to the kessil is negligable. Draw some lines and do some simple geometry and you will see the angle of light is nearly the same.

you hate disco effect with color shadows

Numerous manufacturers produce fixtures with the LED's grouped together to eliminate this issue. It's hardly a new concept.

you want your corals to grow like crazy and have the colors pop

Numerous people have noted that corals get bleached by this light. Are you saying bleached corals grow faster than healthy corals? Even the post earlier from that blog noted that his corals bleached and he's hoping that most recover in a few months. Sounds like stunted growth, not "crazy" growth.

you want a sleek, minimalist form factor

This.

gearhead364
I think for this thread to be in anyway helpful to potential buyers, people who post their opinions should really come out and say whether they own the actual light or not.

I can't tell if people are speaking their minds after having used this light on their tanks or if they are merely reiterating statements of what others have said and simply just buying into it.

If you say good/bad things about this light, please tell us if you've had it and if you have, pictures please :)

+1 from a potential buyer.. toss up right now between A350W or AI SOL for lighting my 24x24x12 mini frag.. :huh:

This is what you decided type up as your first post?

If we try and follow your analogy we're mounting lights on our substrate? or on the floor in front of the tank pointing up at it? and from behind our couches from where we view the tank? How was this story about a "broadway stage lighting consultant" supposed to make sense in regards to an aquarium?

I should have known better than to use something as sophisticated as an analogy.

Numerous manufacturers produce fixtures with the LED's grouped together to eliminate this issue. It's hardly a new concept. (still applies to kessil)

Numerous people have noted that corals get bleached by this light. Are you saying bleached corals grow faster than healthy corals? Even the post earlier from that blog noted that his corals bleached and he's hoping that most recover in a few months. Sounds like stunted growth, not "crazy" growth. (I get crazy growth from my 150, bleached corals were due to not acclimating correctly, not the kessil)

This.

Also, if the light is too intense and the light too directional, just hang the light higher, both problems solved

Honestly guys, do you guys have the a350 to make comparisons between lights?

Someone should do NR a favor and just buy a par38, a150, a350, ai nano, ai sol, etc and do comparisons. Pictures from one person using the same camera settings and same tank would prove to have more substance than some of the assertions made here, which is more theoretical than actually experienced phenomenons imo. Correct me if I'm wrong.

dailydriven911

Ordered the A350 from SaltySupply and should have it next week. :) 10% off until May 29th I believe...

randythefishdude
Yup. but a PAR 30 from boost LED is $75, not $400. It's also significantly less wattage, so it's significantly less bright than the Kessil. Increasing the brightness increases the contrast between the areas that receive light and the areas with shadows (which don't really get brighter when you turn the light up) so the issue is more noticeable with the Kessil. People using the PAR's probably have tanks that are less that 12" deep, so the issue isn't as pronounced as it would be on any tank that is big enough to justify a 90 watt LED (as contained in the Kessil A350) as the tank gets wider, the issue is more severe.

bluprntguy lol ur telling so much stuff that i do not belive, not that ur wrong but i think u should get ur hands on the light itself before saying so much about it

Someone should do NR a favor and just buy a par38, a150, a350, ai nano, ai sol, etc and do comparisons. Pictures from one person using the same camera settings and same tank would prove to have more substance than some of the assertions made here, which is more theoretical than actually experienced phenomenons imo. Correct me if I'm wrong.

+1

+2 In person, none of these issues people are talking about are issues at all.

here's mine:

thegambler26
As I mentioned before, I saw the light, in person, touched it, adjusted it, and talked to the Kessil rep. There are definite shadows. Thanks for the photos and videos showing the shadows. If you would open your eyes, you would see that it proves the point.

Seriously? Are you looking at the same photos? Do you know what a well lit tank looks like? Do you see that every single one of the rocks and corals have been pushed back to the back of the tank so that it's behind the light?

Why is it that every post that I've seen you on your bashing someone or something, talking down to some one or vigorously arguing a point that doesn't make sense!? I've seen quite a few now

Archived