ReefCleaners.org

new kessil A350.. just out***post your pics***

randythefishdude

You've done the equivalent of busting the doors open to a group of strangers and proceeded to be confrontational and insulting to everyone you "meet". Use some social skills and respect and u are more than welcome.

Oddly, I didn't until people started attacking me, but do you now agree that there is a shadow issue with the Kessil light now that your fellow Kessil fans have conceded the fact? Or are you going to continue to claim that it doesn't exist?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You thought wrong. You said: "If we try and follow your analogy..."

The definition of analogy: "a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based"

Perhaps if your arguments and grasp of the english language were better, you wouldn't have to resort to bullying to win arguments.

I didn't realize there was a minimum number of post required before we could join a discussion. Some welcoming committee BTW.

Why are you so mad? Your anger is clouding your better judgment. Why do you feel like I bullied you?

I'm sorry if you feel like you got bullied. Why is my argument bad? You don't put lights on the floor and behind the audience facing your tank, do you? At what point did I demonstrate that I do not "grasp.. the English language"? On the internet there are people called trolls. They harass others and don't bring anything significant to the conversation. You're first post was a poor comparison. Every post after that can be classified as trolling. If this is not your intent, lighten up. Bring something useful to the conversation. Start with a better analogy.

Why are you so mad? Your anger is clouding your better judgment. Why do you feel like I bullied you?

I'm sorry if you feel like you got bullied. Why is my argument bad? You don't put lights on the floor and behind the audience facing your tank, do you? At what point did I demonstrate that I do not "grasp.. the English language"? On the internet there are people called trolls. They harass others and don't bring anything significant to the conversation. You're first post was a poor comparison. Every post after that can be classified as trolling. If this is not your intent, lighten up. Bring something useful to the conversation. Start with a better analogy.

You said it wasn't an analogy, after you said it was. Everyone claimed Kessil lights didn't produce shadows, when its proven they do, it's suddenly a benefit. The Kessil has broad spectrum lighting and superior color, until it's proven it has narrow color range and a less full spectrum. It offers "crazy" coral growth, until its shown that it bleaches coral. Everyone claims Kessil makes their own LED array and invested millions to develop it, until it's shown that they just buy it from another manufacturer.

As far as I can see, you lash out at the only people that appear to know what they are actually talking about and drive them away so that you can continue to exist in your echo chamber.

eddiecorrea

So I know this is about the A350 but would a A150W be too much over at 12"w x 12"h x 9" deep tank? I'd have it on the neck mount. So probably 8 or so inches above the water surface. Thanks!

buddythelion
So I know this is about the A350 but would a A150W be too much over at 12"w x 12"h x 9" deep tank? I'd have it on the neck mount. So probably 8 or so inches above the water surface. Thanks!

Sounds like the same dims as my nanocube. I keep it 2-3.5" off the water.

gearhead364
Oddly, I didn't until people started attacking me, but do you now agree that there is a shadow issue with the Kessil light now that your fellow Kessil fans have conceded the fact? Or are you going to continue to claim that it doesn't exist?

You've really got me scared now im worried that a kessil will make tons of shadows in my frag tank... :scarry: I was hoping you could give me some expert advice :bowdown:

buddythelion
You've really got me scared now im worried that a kessil will make tons of shadows in my frag tank... :scarry: I was hoping you could give me some expert advice :bowdown:

Don't worry, those who have kessils can safely say that there's not much of a shadow problem.

After trying to rummage through this thread for some helpful advice, this is what I can say..

The Kessil is indeed has a single light source and by using physics or whatever common knowledge you people claim it is, shadows can be created. The degree of these shadows, I do not know. I also do not know if these shadows can actually have a big impact on coral growth.

Some concerns I have about people making claims are; one, if people claiming that shadowing is causing stunted growth and bleaching, is that really the case and not just improper acclimation (pictures of this "bleached/browned out on one side" effect would be helpful in giving the claim some substance).

Also, lets do some quick and hasty comparisons (disclaimer: I do not own a Kessil a350 or a a150)

Kessil a350 vs. par38

-Obviously the kessil is much more expensive

-Kessil is much more powerful and probably has better penetration.

-par38 has disco effect

-Shadowing effect due to the single light source is pretty similar between the two

Conclusion: This comparison is ridiculous and should not be made; if you have a deeper/wider tank and have the money, go with the kessil.

Kessil a150 vs. par38

-Kessil is more expensive

-Kessil probably more powerful

-par38 has disco effect

-Shadowing effect due to the single light source is pretty similar between the two

Conclusion: This is a much better comparison as they are similar in power output imo. SO if you have the money, go kessil, if not stick with par38.

Kessil a350 vs. AI Sol

-Similarly priced, AI being a little more expensive

-Shadowing effect due to the single light source from the kessil

-AI Sol has a disco effect

Conclusion: Kessil if shadowing has less of a downside than what people say it to have, AI sol if otherwise. If shadowing is an issue, I'd have to say, maybe 2 kessil a150's may do.

Kessil a350 vs. Radion

-Radion is more expensive

--Shadowing effect due to the single light source from the kessil

Conclusion: A better comparison would be two kessil a350's vs. one Radion. I think so far, this is the best match for any comparison due to design of both lights and pricing.

Hope this helps.. did this quickly while enjoying a beer so don't bash me if I made a mistake..please! :D

Also, here's a picture of someone's 90 gallon tank with the kessil a350 (unsure of the number of units). Has had it for a couple of months and claims that everything is happy in the tank.

5-14-12-2.jpg

Here are some par readings I got for the Kessil a350 (from neptune aquatics)

A350 PAR VALUES WITH LIGHT 6" ABOVE THE WATER AND MEASURED FROM LIGHT TO SENSOR:

12" from light to sensor: 475 (sensor 6" below water line)

18" from light to sensor: 250 (sensor 12" below water line)

24" from light to sensor: 225 (sensor 18" below water line)

The tank pictured is a 90 gallon tank. I believe joe posted that he mounted them in a canopy 8" over the water. I could be wrong on the height.

The spotlight argument is absurd as well. Japanese reefers have employed spotlighting for years with success. I agree that the proper number of lights should be used for a certain area of tank. It's important to learn what that spread of useable light will be to determine the amount needed in a given area. Someone needs to take more extensive par measurements with the light at different heights above the water, different distances from the center of light, and different light settings to get a good feel for what the A350 and A350W are capable of covering.

I believe a big part of the issues with bleaching is ill choice in lighting (narrow vs wide optics) and lack of acclimation to the lighting. LEDs are known to bleach corals when not used properly and when not acclimated. The A350 has more narrow optics creating greater intensity in the fixed focal range. They recommend using this light on tanks deeper than 24". Rem's reef is also more shallow (not by much 20" high). I believe his bleaching of corals happened within 2 weeks of using the light which would lead me to believe it's a combo of choice in optics and starting use at too strong an intensity of light.

I wouldn't recommend an A350 for a nano. The A350W might be pushing it a bit depending on height above the water.

this charade got boring. one pathetically articulated idiot and his shill got everyone worked up over nothing

+1. I don't know why I get sucked in. Lol

Saw it at Neptune Aquatics today in action. One of the guys said that it's been over one of their SPS frag tanks for 2 weeks or so. No bleaching at full intensity. The colors of the SPS corals are really nice. I was only there for a bit. The tank was about 12" height and maybe the light was 2 ft above of the tank for better coverage. Half of that SPS frag tank was under the A350 and the other half with T5's. Big difference in color.

Went to this LFS called diablo corals today, the kessils looked way nicer than the halides there. I didn't see bleached corals or that many shadows.

buddythelion
Went to this LFS called diablo corals today, the kessils looked way nicer than the halides there. I didn't see bleached corals or that many shadows.

Was it enough for the Illuminata? I would figure it would take two for some good SPS growth.

I thought I would stop by to see what was going on since my last post....

Lets see...

Bluepntguy still hates kessils - check

He found another crony spouting crap that makes no sense (riotjock) - check

I did actually see a new pic of a tank with a Kessil over it - I mean it does say "post your pics" in the subject of the thread.

I do have to say that riotjock's post about how the earth rotates and revolves made me laugh.

Here is an analogy:

I have a tree in my yard. The tree makes a shadow on my lawn. The grass doesn't grow so good in the shadow of the tree, so I dug up the grass and laid down pine straw.

I have a nice size green birdsnest in my aquarium. I am not dumb enough to place coral under my birdsnest in its shadow since most coral needs light to grow plus I don't want another coral so close to another.

Of course the Kessil makes shadows. Every single point light source makes shadows. Even my MH with its reflector makes shadows. Since my Kessil and MH are placed basically at "high noon" the shadows are minimal.

What is next, are you gonna argue that lights ramping up and down to make a sunrise/sunset effect helps coral grow? Oh wait...

Any way, do we have an official date for the A350w? It's reported to have a 4x4 spread if I recall, that could really come in handy for a build I have coming up.

Any way, do we have an official date for the A350w? It's reported to have a 4x4 spread if I recall, that could really come in handy for a build I have coming up.

Where did you hear a 4x4 spread? I would be amazed if that is true. I was thinking more of a 2x2 spread.

randythefishdude

I thought I would stop by to see what was going on since my last post....

Lets see...

Bluepntguy still hates kessils - check

He found another crony spouting crap that makes no sense (riotjock) - check

I did actually see a new pic of a tank with a Kessil over it - I mean it does say "post your pics" in the subject of the thread.

I do have to say that riotjock's post about how the earth rotates and revolves made me laugh.

lololol

dailydriven911
Saw this on RC. It's over a 90 cube.

DSC_0190.jpg

Looks like enough spread to me! Can't wait to get mine setup! It's just sitting in my office collecting dust...:(

randythefishdude
Looks like enough spread to me! Can't wait to get mine setup! It's just sitting in my office collecting dust...:(

ikr that looks like plenty of light

....as for the shadow argument i took a trip to the lfs and they have like a 250 g cube light up with 1 mh and 1 radion ....plenty of shadows and very good looken sps

franklypre

I've seen so much hoopla about this light, everyone that has one likes it, all the rest seem to knock it out of ignorance or jealousy. Only time will tell but I definately like the concept vs 100 individual LEDs.

randythefishdude
I've seen so much hoopla about this light, everyone that has one likes it, all the rest seem to knock it out of ignorance or jealousy. Only time will tell but I definately like the concept vs 100 individual LEDs.

+1

Where did you hear a 4x4 spread? I would be amazed if that is true. I was thinking more of a 2x2 spread.
I think the A150 has a 2 x 2 spread.

Archived