Top Shelf Aquatics

new kessil A350.. just out***post your pics***

randythefishdude

specificplan
He stated that sunrise/sunset fades increased coral growth/health. That's false.

i don't see where he said that anywhere. now you are the one making "bold" statements

He said ADA had impeccable quality. I posted a picture showing the poor silicone on my 120H and explained an alignment issue on my 60P. He said no brands compared to ADA, but couldn't pick out the ADA tanks from the other brands when shown side by side.

He is also the one who brought up the ADA thing in this thread, not me. So I think the vendetta would be his?

i don't think the president of ADA could have picked their tanks out of your photo line-up and it seemed that you just wanted an argument, and again you've been taunting and harassing in this thread. what gives? he take a dump in your cornflakes?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TeflonTomDosh

oldie but goodie

987251565_22ea2338dd.jpg

Disclaimer - this is in no way a direct attack on mentally challenged people, their family members, or anyony else, k thanks.

specificplan
oldie but goodie

987251565_22ea2338dd.jpg

Disclaimer - this is in no way a direct attack on mentally challenged people, their family members, or anyony else, k thanks.

my brother's brother is learning impaired and i am totally offended.

Actually, no I didn't say that at all. In response to someone's comment about electronic controllers and sunrise/sunset effects, I said having an electronic controller allowed you to adjust the color and intensity of the light which leads to better coral growth. I'd appreciate it if you stop lying about what I actually said.

This was the question. It was pretty straight forward:

I don't understand why everyone is dissing on kessil just because there's no sunrise/sunset thunderstorm effects. Honestly... what does that have to do with coral growths?

To which you responded with:

Actually, it has a huge amount to do with coral growth. I have my AI set to do a few hours with mostly blue, it gets whiter and stronger for mid-day, then switches back to bluer in the evening. The extra blue helps to grow coral without growing algae. I can adjust those levels as I need to get to the optimum range gradually and in response to changes I see in the coral.

Your AI will grow coral regardless of your daily fading schedule. The fading makes your eyes happy, it isn't increasing growth rates. The light would continue to grow coral if operated on a fixed manual on/off cycle.

i don't see where he said that anywhere. now you are the one making "bold" statements

i don't think the president of ADA could have picked their tanks out of your photo line-up and it seemed that you just wanted an argument, and again you've been taunting and harassing in this thread. what gives? he take a dump in your cornflakes?

See my last post for his exact response to sunrise/sunset thunderstorm effects on growth.

And if no one could pick out the ADA tanks from the lineup, how are they so far ahead of other tank manufacturers? That was the point. How can he say something is so much better when the competition looked identical.

I'm not sure. Why would you buy a $399 LED fixture with $.99 mechanical dimmer knob on it?
Because no one wants you on this thread arguing. :lol:
buddythelion

So people are putting the 350s over their nanos, tanks smaller than say 20 gallon tanks. Isn't that a bit overkill? I thought the 350 was much stronger than it's 150 brother. Looks like I'm going to have to research a bit more before I invest in one. I was planning on using one 350 (not the w) over a 30 cube. Sounded good until I read that full blast over a pico was being used.

I've seen a few thread with the 150 over 20 gallon tanks and I have one over my 12 cube and it's able to keep zoas and various lps happy. SPS, I can't say. I just started keeping them but my LFS employee had one over his tank and he was SPS dominated.

So people are putting the 350s over their nanos, tanks smaller than say 20 gallon tanks. Isn't that a bit overkill? I thought the 350 was much stronger than it's 150 brother. Looks like I'm going to have to research a bit more before I invest in one. I was planning on using one 350 (not the w) over a 30 cube. Sounded good until I read that full blast over a pico was being used.

I've seen a few thread with the 150 over 20 gallon tanks and I have one over my 12 cube and it's able to keep zoas and various lps happy. SPS, I can't say. I just started keeping them but my LFS employee had one over his tank and he was SPS dominated.

It's overkill on the smaller tanks in the sense that a 150 would work. But at a $135 difference I can see why people would go with the 350. It's better equipped to handle future tank upgrades and provide some customization the 150 can't.

I imagine that the price on the a150's could drop in the future. Their horticulture versions of the light can be had around $200, so hardware-wise it's possible. The premium would be for the R&D they sunk into the aquarium specific lights.

specificplan
This was the question. It was pretty straight forward:

To which you responded with:

Your AI will grow coral regardless of your daily fading schedule. The fading makes your eyes happy, it isn't increasing growth rates. The light would continue to grow coral if operated on a fixed manual on/off cycle.

Any moron with half a brain can see that the blu's comment is about the fact that the AI has an electronic controller that creates the sunrise/sunset fade effects. He didn't say it outright, but it's obvious enough to anyone with half a brain cell. Why are you harassing people on the board? It's pitiful. Absolutely. Pitiful.

specificplan
It's overkill on the smaller tanks in the sense that a 150 would work. But at a $135 difference I can see why people would go with the 350. It's better equipped to handle future tank upgrades and provide some customization the 150 can't.

I imagine that the price on the a150's could drop in the future. Their horticulture versions of the light can be had around $200, so hardware-wise it's possible. The premium would be for the R&D they sunk into the aquarium specific lights.

What kind of customization can the A350 handle that the A150 can't? The ability to dim it? That's not really customization. My $17 ikea strip LED's do that. Now you are making bold statemts without any basis. What kind of customization does the A350 do that warrants am extra $135?

miniwhinny
What kind of customization can the A350 handle that the A150 can't? The ability to dim it? That's not really customization. My $17 ikea strip LED's do that. Now you are making bold statemts without any basis. What kind of customization does the A350 do that warrants am extra $135?

First off it's 92 watts (or thereabouts) where the 150 is 32w's. Secondly you can dial up or down the amount of blue vs white so you can choose your own color combo that's pleasing to your eye and your corals health anywhere from 10k to 20k and everything in between were as the 150's come in 3 standard color options.

:D

Keep it to the light and the discussion at hand. It's becoming asinine with the name calling and other threads being started to further instigate.

It's well apparent that the A350/A350W works with knobs with dimming control of two channels for control of spectrum/intensity. It's also well apparent that there is no controller involved with the kessil like some other equally or more expensive LEDs on the market.

It's pretty simple if you want a light that changes color/intensity using a controller for aesthetic reasons then another LED is probably for you.

Growth is in no way hampered by use of a manually dimming LED light over an controller driven LED. Acclimation of the coral can be controlled manually at first and peak light hours can be controlled using a timer or tank controller like a RKL or APEX.

The two areas that make kessil unique are:

-the point source lighting that creates less disco ball effect/color banding or shading and more shimmer.

-color achieved if anything like the A150s hit on a wider range of colors than most LEDs on the market

This is why you have everything from pink, green, blue, purple, orange, and red all popping as opposed to two thirds of those colors achieved with LEDs using just warm white (or cool white), blue and royal blue LEDS. This is has been noted by most that have tried the kessils on their tanks. If you want more color range you are generally spending more than $400 for the light and it has a larger footprint.

buddythelion

The A350 is $135 more because it's a more powerful version of the 150, but the dimmable function was a nice new function. A350 = 90 watts of power, the 150 I believe is 32? You can see the difference side by side.

Madfx, you bring up a good point about the difference. But $135 is still a good chunk of money. I'm sure it's a large enough deterrent to keep some people away from the smaller one but not those who think about future upgrades.

Anyways, I'm sure that Kessil will produce a controllable light fixture within the next year or two since it's obvious they're losing potential customers because of this feature. I think they made the 350 because they already had a similar fixture (the 350 for hydroponis) and could make some basing it around a spectrum they wanted for reef tanks to open the market up to people who wanted more light.

miniwhinny

-the point source lighting that creates less disco ball effect/color banding or shading and more shimmer.

-color achieved if anything like the A150s hit on a wider range of colors than most LEDs on the market

This is why you have everything from pink, green, blue, purple, orange, and red all popping as opposed to two thirds of those colors achieved with LEDs using just warm white (or cool white), blue and royal blue LEDS. This is has been noted by most that have tried the kessils on their tanks. If you want more color range you are generally spending more than $400 for the light and it has a larger footprint.

Steely, it's these 2 features that have made me a total kessil believer. I had the same corals under different LED's and never saw anything like the eye popping colors I'm getting from them under the A150w. Plus the shimmer is like nothing I've seen.

I'd say to folks - don't knock it until you've seen it. We all tend to get a little protective of brand we have or like and I understand that but even if you still prefer a different brand after seeing the kessil I'm still sure you'd be impressed. To me there are 2 main reasons for picking one LED over another and that's how I like the look of my tank and how the how well colored and healthy the corals get under them. Kessil scores 100% here (NOT saying other LED's don't too - I obviously haven't tried every brand/produce out there)

buddythelion

Yup, my LFS has all the newest LEDs, AI, Radion, Kessil. He loves and recommends the Kessil, even though it's still cheaper some of the other lighting fixture options.

specificplan
I'd say to folks - don't knock it until you've seen it. We all tend to get a little protective of brand we have or like and I understand that but even if you still prefer a different brand after seeing the kessil I'm still sure you'd be impressed. To me there are 2 main reasons for picking one LED over another and that's how I like the look of my tank and how the how well colored and healthy the corals get under them. Kessil scores 100% here (NOT saying other LED's don't too - I obviously haven't tried every brand/produce out there)

kessiloverlayAI.jpg

i overlaid the AI sol blue wavelengths versus the Kessil A350 Tuno Blue. both downloaded from their respective websites and lined up as close as i could get them with my meager photoshop skillz. if corals fluoresce and grow with wavelengths in the 420 - 460 range, why has Kessil pushed their colors into the 480 - 520 range? futher, there seems to be little, if any, colors in the 550-650 range for the Kessil, where the AI has some coverage in those ranges. I think it's rather accepted fact that SPS and other corals really need some light in these ranges to flourish, but the Kessil leaves them with none.

let's see if madfx will jump down your throat for making the "bold" statement that Kessil earns a 100% score on coral colors and growth.

Keep it to the light and the discussion at hand. It's becoming asinine with the name calling and other threads being started to further instigate.

It's well apparent that the A350/A350W works with knobs with dimming control of two channels for control of spectrum/intensity. It's also well apparent that there is no controller involved with the kessil like some other equally or more expensive LEDs on the market.

It's pretty simple if you want a light that changes color/intensity using a controller for aesthetic reasons then another LED is probably for you.

Growth is in no way hampered by use of a manually dimming LED light over an controller driven LED. Acclimation of the coral can be controlled manually at first and peak light hours can be controlled using a timer or tank controller like a RKL or APEX.

Exactly right. That LED array allows them to pack in different LEDs allowing them to get a great spectrum and allows for a real nice color rendition. There are more than 3 different chips in the Kessil lights..

The A350 is $135 more because it's a more powerful version of the 150, but the dimmable function was a nice new function. A350 = 90 watts of power, the 150 I believe is 32? You can see the difference side by side.

Madfx, you bring up a good point about the difference. But $135 is still a good chunk of money. I'm sure it's a large enough deterrent to keep some people away from the smaller one but not those who think about future upgrades.

Anyways, I'm sure that Kessil will produce a controllable light fixture within the next year or two since it's obvious they're losing potential customers because of this feature. I think they made the 350 because they already had a similar fixture (the 350 for hydroponis) and could make some basing it around a spectrum they wanted for reef tanks to open the market up to people who wanted more light.

Deciding if the $135 difference is worth it depends on the individual. If the 150 fits your needs and tank, saving money makes sense. It would only get better if they did drop down to the $225 range. Not sure they'd have much competition at that price point.

Kessil states on their site:

*Color temperature for reference only, and is not a direct measurement of CCT

So why line them up next to each other. I would look for something more like Sanjay's tests to be a better direct comparison. You won't find that at this point.

specificplan
Kessil states on their site:

*Color temperature for reference only, and is not a direct measurement of CCT

So why line them up next to each other. I would look for something more like Sanjay's tests to be a better direct comparison. You won't find that at this point.

i'm not looking at the graph and saying I expect exactly a level of .4 at 450 nm from the Kessil light. i'm using it for general reference regarding spikes and levels at different wavelengths. Their graph shows a huge spike in the 480-520 range as opposed to a spike in the 420-460 range. i think it's a reasonable conclusion to draw from the information that the company has provided that a majority of the light is in the 480-520 range and that the levels in the 520-700 range are significantly lower than what is provided by an AI Sol Blue.

I see madfx has decided not to publicly berate miniwhinny for his her outrageous statement that the Kessil scores a 100%. It's almost as if madfx is personally attacking people that he doesn't like on this board instead of participating in a honest and fair discussion.

miniwhinny
let's see if madfx will jump down your throat for making the "bold" statement that Kessil earns a 100% score on coral colors and growth.

I see madfx has decided not to publicly berate miniwhinny for his outrageous statement that the Kessil scores a 100%. It's almost as if he is personally attacking people that he doesn't like on this board instead of participating in a honest and fair discussion.

specificplan - That 100% rating was MY personal rating and I stick by it and as a retired 53 year old living on a horse ranch in the middle of nowhere I really don't give a hoot WHO tries to jump down my throat including you :) lol

- and another thing...I'm a SHE not a HE lol and the one thing I've NEVER done (ask anyone here) in over 1600 posts is "personally attacking people that he doesn't like on this board instead of participating in a honest and fair discussion".

I never have and never will attack anyone. I'm contributing to a thread on the kessil because I own a kessil and absolutely love it. Sorry that upsets you. People wanted input, I've given mine as a very happy kessil customer.

specificplan
specificplan - That 100% rating was MY personal rating and I stick by it

i think it's safe to say that all opinions expressed on this board are personal ratings and should be assumed as such.

- and another thing...I'm a SHE not a HE

my apologies for assuming otherwise.

I've NEVER done (ask anyone here) in over 1600 posts is "personally attacking people that he doesn't like on this board instead of participating in a honest and fair discussion".

apologies again. i poorly worded that sentence and never meant to imply that you were the one attacking people. that applies to others who do.

I never have and never will attack anyone.

good to hear. the only reason that i'm harping on this is that i think it's lame and stupid. this used to be a great board, but people that just come on to flame others ruins it for everyone. i think i'm done for now if everyone can keep it civil. seriously, disappointing.

Archived