Coral Vue Hydros

new kessil A350.. just out***post your pics***

randythefishdude

So i was looking at the a350 on marien depot and they have a pic of the light looking down the lens... is it just me or are there dead LED's on the matrix??????

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buddythelion

I don't understand why everyone is dissing on kessil just because there's no sunrise/sunset thunderstorm effects. Honestly... what does that have to do with coral growths? And if it was so essential then I suppose all the lights before LEDs are junk? No way, people have been growing corals for years before dimmable sunrise and other LED effects happened. I see it as a marketing gimmick. I doubt it has anything significant with coral growth, just something cool to watch if you have the time to be there.

Anyways, I'm sure Kessil would bring out that feature eventually for the controller peeps, but for $400 it's not too bad. 5 panorama pros already cost $500 and I don't think 5 pros are as good as the kessil, but that's just my guess. But I haven't seen any reviews on reefers' tanks yet... Hmm.

And the radion is $750. That's like comparing 2 350s vs 1 radion for price range. I'd rather have the 2 350's then one radion.

randythefishdude
So i was looking at the a350 on marien depot and they have a pic of the light looking down the lens... is it just me or are there dead LED's on the matrix??????

the dead leds are proboblay just blue chips on the matrix

i was going to do panorama pros but when my bday comes around i think i will pick up thiss i like the idea of 1 spot light and i think it would give me room to upgrade if i wanted to from my 29 biocube

I just got mine in, its a lot brighter than the a150 visually. At minimal power, the color is beautiful. Full power is too blue for my taste; but that should translate well for most hobbyists as I prefer a more yellow/"whiter" spectrum.

Overall I liked the a150 more, I dont really care about mixing colors. If they gave me the ability to dim a 10k a350, or even ore thats only slightly bluer, I'd be a happy camper

randythefishdude
I just got mine in, its a lot brighter than the a150 visually. At minimal power, the color is beautiful. Full power is too blue for my taste; but that should translate well for most hobbyists as I prefer a yellow/"whiter" spectrum.

Overall I liked the a150 more, I dont really care about mixing colors. If they gave me the ability to dim a 10k a350, or even more thats only slightly bluer, I'd be a happy camper

can u post a fts of it an pls :) i personaly like a blue tint

Detritus07
I just got mine in, its a lot brighter than the a150 visually. At minimal power, the color is beautiful. Full power is too blue for my taste; but that should translate well for most hobbyists as I prefer a more yellow/"whiter" spectrum.

Overall I liked the a150 more, I dont really care about mixing colors. If they gave me the ability to dim a 10k a350, or even ore thats only slightly bluer, I'd be a happy camper

Do you need full power over a pico though? (If that's where you're using it)

paying for mine tonight once I deposit money...

Hahahaha over a 10 gallon reef.

Overkill much?

Saw it at the LFS and I was in awe. The shimmer was awesome.

dallasprstn

i ordered an A350W for a 24" cube last week and should get it in the next few weeks. I'm kinda a kessil fanboy, but i'm with most of the other people here, i kinda wanted a fixture that had sunrise/sunset features and thunderstorms just for fun, but the overall spectrum of the kessil's are a whole lot better.

first of all, if you look at the sol's LED's, it is just 6500K's, Royal Blues, and Blues, and once you look at it and realize it, that's waaaaaay off. only having blue's and whites is not so good form corals in the long run, and a 6500K white is really stupid too. We need 10-12k whites for our tanks.

also, i know that i'll probably get flamed for this, but one of my local lfs' runs three radion's over one of their frag tanks, and the owner told me that he's seen much better results from when he ran t5's and halides, and has noticed that most of the corals have lost a lot of color since the switch to leds.( he ran 4 sol's over it before the radions.)

i ordered an A350W for a 24" cube last week and should get it in the next few weeks. I'm kinda a kessil fanboy, but i'm with most of the other people here, i kinda wanted a fixture that had sunrise/sunset features and thunderstorms just for fun, but the overall spectrum of the kessil's are a whole lot better.

first of all, if you look at the sol's LED's, it is just 6500K's, Royal Blues, and Blues, and once you look at it and realize it, that's waaaaaay off. only having blue's and whites is not so good form corals in the long run, and a 6500K white is really stupid too. We need 10-12k whites for our tanks.

also, i know that i'll probably get flamed for this, but one of my local lfs' runs three radion's over one of their frag tanks, and the owner told me that he's seen much better results from when he ran t5's and halides, and has noticed that most of the corals have lost a lot of color since the switch to leds.( he ran 4 sol's over it before the radions.)

you're talkin about Exotic Aquatics? I used to work there. Now that tank is all sps frags. Those radions are just unfair make those acans look stunning. Under the sols sps frags really struggled.

dallasprstn
you're talkin about Exotic Aquatics? I used to work there. Now that tank is all sps frags. Those radions are just unfair make those acans look stunning. Under the sols sps frags really struggled.

yeah, have you been there recently? all the sps frags are browning out like crazy...and the worst thing is that they all looked really good like a month ago..

Jacob042426
yeah, have you been there recently? all the sps frags are browning out like crazy...and the worst thing is that they all looked really good like a month ago..

exotic aquatic in ft. lauderdale?

Actually, it has a huge amount to do with coral growth.

Please show me a study that shows any growth or health advantages between a light that's on/off vs a light using sunrise/sunset fades.

As I explained above, a controller allows you to adjust the color and intensity and time of the light to create optimum conditions for corals resulting in greater growth. If you don't think that's important, why don't you just go down to wal-mart and buy some $.99 compact fluorescents for your "anything but an ADA tank"?

Show me a kessil that you can adjust to add more blue light if your corals need it. Oh right, there isn't one.

What are you even talking about? You don't need sunrise/sunset fades to have the correct spectrum for growth. You can get great growth and color rendition from metal halides, fluorescent, LEDs, with on/off cycles. It has nothing to do with auto fades.

Good to see you're still salty over not being able to prove the fan boy praise you heaped on ADA tanks.

Please show me a study that shows any growth or health advantages between a light that's on/off vs a light using sunrise/sunset fades.

That would be interesting. What are the pros/cons/neutrals of the sunset effect.

I'm a fan of kessil, my LFS has them and the corals look amazing, even the sps!

Sure you can. Slap a couple of warm white and violet LED's on a timer and let me know how great your corals are growing!

Are you really this dense? Let's see if I can dumb this down enough for you to follow....

Those warm whites and violet LEDs would work well if powered by a controller allowing for sunset/sunrise fading? They'd work no better than warm whites and violets without a controller. That's the point.

ROFL.

I can't handle this anymore. Please tell me this guy is a troll...

Let me dumb this down for you. If you had a controller you could turn down the violet LED's and just leave the warm whites on. Since you only have a dimmer and an on/off switch, your only options are to turn the brightness of all the lights either down or off. Either way, your corals are dead.

Quoted so you can't edit away this gem of wisdom.

im pretty sure all leds will fry your corals when used at high levels. and why would I add too many violets in the first place?

Archived