Top Shelf Aquatics

new kessil A350.. just out***post your pics***

randythefishdude

Jacob042426
im pretty sure all leds will fry your corals when used at high levels. and why would I add too many violets in the first place?

they is pretty. :)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
miniwhinny
also, i know that i'll probably get flamed for this, but one of my local lfs' runs three radion's over one of their frag tanks, and the owner told me that he's seen much better results from when he ran t5's and halides, and has noticed that most of the corals have lost a lot of color since the switch to leds.( he ran 4 sol's over it before the radions.)

I also found this happened with various LED's but NOT with the Kessil. Since I changed over to the A150W kessil 5 months ago I'm seeing amazing colors in the corals and more importantly it's across the spectrum. I found before I was getting nice blues and greens but the reds and oranges washed out...not with the kessil, it seems to highlight every color you come across.

HecticDialectics
Let me dumb this down for you. If you had a controller you could turn down the violet LED's and just leave the warm whites on. Since you only have a dimmer and an on/off switch, your only options are to turn the brightness of all the lights either down or off. Either way, your corals are dead.

OMG SO THAT'S WHY MY CORALS ALL DIED!!!

:faceplam:

Because violet LED's emit wavelengths that fry corals when used in high levels. If you can only dim the whole fixture, when you turn on the white, you also turn on the violet.

So where are these evil violet LEDs? They sure aren't in the Kessil, which crazy enough is what this topic is about.

I also found this happened with various LED's but NOT with the Kessil. Since I changed over to the A150W kessil 5 months ago I'm seeing amazing colors in the corals and more importantly it's across the spectrum. I found before I was getting nice blues and greens but the reds and oranges washed out...not with the kessil, it seems to highlight every color you come across.

i compared the 10k kessil to a 70w 20k halide i had over the same tank. its not your corals, its the light that makes the colors pop. the spectrum of the 10k is beautiful though, so clear

I'm not sure. Why would you buy a $399 LED fixture with $.99 mechanical dimmer knob on it?

To acclimate your coral safely without having to raise the fixture. Or to dial in an extra amount of blue for looks. Kessil has a great looking light output, but some people prefer the deep sea blue tint. Since when is having options a bad thing?

I think you're mixing up sunrise/set fades with full spectral control. Two different things. Your AI is pretty much the same as this Kessil, only with worse "whites." You can dial up and down the blues on both AI and Kessil. Maybe you should look at this new Kessil in person before spreading more misinformation. Just like you were about ADA vs all competitors...

I'm not sure. Why would you buy a $399 LED fixture with $.99 mechanical dimmer knob on it?

what does this have to do with your statement and my subsequent question? stop beating around the bush and lets get straight to it. and to answer your attempt to deflect from your ill thought out statement, I want it to dim the entire fixture. I dont sit there at x or y hour everyday and stare at my tank and go dang the lights slowly went up or down.

futhermore, both spectrums in the kessil do not involve caustic amounts of some obscure peak. their 20k will work on a tank at full blast as would their 10k. your initial statement itself was ridiculous. any fixture of inappropriate intensity would have fried the corals. thats up to the user's discretion.

I think you're mixing up sunrise/set fades with full spectral control. Two different things. Your AI is pretty much the same as this Kessil, only with worse "whites." You can dial up and down the blues on both AI and Kessil. Maybe you should look at this new Kessil in person before spreading more misinformation. Just like you were about ADA vs all competitors...

you should stop. dumbasses gonna dumb

you should stop. dumbasses gonna dumb

Probably the smartest advice. This is going to be my last one..

Actually, I think you should research the AI in person before spreading more misinformation. My AI has three different colors, all of which are independently controlled by an electronic controller that varies their intensity throughout the day.

The new Kessil has two colors that are controlled by two manual dimming knobs.

I have in fact seen the new Kessil in person a good month ago.

Perhaps, instead of accusing me of lying and slander you should also check your facts and anger instead of subjecting this entire board to your immature rants.

As for which whites are better, I'll leave that argument for someone that actually knows what they are talking about.

Uh, I said blues. I'm pretty sure blue and royal blue can be called blues. They certainly aren't providing full spectral control. You aren't very light smart, or tank smart. I'll let you rest your brain.

Done!

So given that the A350 is puts out as much or more light than the A150 and costs less than 2 A150's why would anyone want the A150? Do you guys think kessil will drop the price on the a150?

randythefishdude
So given that the A350 is puts out as much or more light than the A150 and costs less than 2 A150's why would anyone want the A150? Do you guys think kessil will drop the price on the a150?

i dont think they will drop the price but thats a good question

specificplan

One A350 only works for square tanks. Most people have rectangular tanks, and therefore need two lights to get even coverage. I'd have to buy two lights for my tank, and I'm not going to drop $800 for a two 350's that I have to crank down.

andrewguilfoy

Yeah but halides are the same way, and yeah back in the day, you would drop 800 for a set of two on a rectangle.

specificplan
Yeah but halides are the same way, and yeah back in the day, you would drop 800 for a set of two on a rectangle.

Yeah, but it's 2012. No one wants to pay $800 for two light fixtures with little rotary dials on the back of them. How would I get them to look the same? Each one would be a different color no matter how many times I adjusted those little dials. I'm a little OCD like that.

specificplan
You aren't very light smart, or tank smart. I'll let you rest your brain.

Done!

Dude. You need to take a zoloft or something or go to yoga. I haven't seen that level of maturity since I was 11 and in Mrs. Johnson's class. I lose my login and this place goes to the pits.

Bludude, I apologize on behalf of the world in general and certainly on behalf of the nice people on this board.

andrewguilfoy

To each their own. It's a new led technology. I think they will go down eventually.

Dude. You need to take a zoloft or something or go to yoga. I haven't seen that level of maturity since I was 11 and in Mrs. Johnson's class. I lose my login and this place goes to the pits.

Bludude, I apologize on behalf of the world in general and certainly on behalf of the nice people on this board.

Mrs. Johnson? I cant help myself.

Dude. You need to take a zoloft or something or go to yoga. I haven't seen that level of maturity since I was 11 and in Mrs. Johnson's class. Bludude, I apologize on behalf of the world in general and certainly on behalf of the nice people on this board.

Not sure if you've followed some of the discussions this guy has taken part in, but they're ridiculous. He makes these bold statements (2+2=22!!!) that cannot be backed up through facts. I get irritated when people spread false information. See the ADA vs ELOS thread as an example. I provided proof, he makes excuses. Rinse and repeat.

I guess the nice thing to do is allow him to spread false information to the other nice people. I'll just be quiet and let the blind lead the way.

3875920[/url]']

One A350 only works for square tanks. Most people have rectangular tanks, and therefore need two lights to get even coverage. I'd have to buy two lights for my tank, and I'm not going to drop $800 for a two 350's that I have to crank down.

So two halides with nice reflectors, nice ballasts or fixture and two bulbs will run you $500-$600 and the difference is paid off in two years with the bulbs you replace. You save space and energy not to mention you would need at least as many led fixtures of another brand to cover the same area.

If you want LEDs with a controller you will miss out on some of the full spectrum unless you are running a vega which isn't out yet or a radion in which case you will spend more to cover the same area.

andrewguilfoy
So two halides with nice reflectors, nice ballasts or fixture and two bulbs will run you $500-$600 and the difference is paid off in two years with the bulbs you replace. You save space and energy not to mention you would need at least as many led fixtures of another brand to cover the same area.

If you want LEDs with a controller you will miss out on some of the full spectrum unless you are running a vega which isn't out yet or a radion in which case you will spend more to cover the same area.

Amen. I still think about going halide. Nothing wrong with it, just a different direction. And I've seen way toooo many successful tanks including this guys ^^ with halides, and yeah they just turn on and off. Sorry dawn/dusk not allowed. :closedeyes:

specificplan
Not sure if you've followed some of the discussions this guy has taken part in, but they're ridiculous. He makes these bold statements (2+2=22!!!) that cannot be backed up through facts. I get irritated when people spread false information. See the ADA vs ELOS thread as an example. I provided proof, he makes excuses. Rinse and repeat.

I guess the nice thing to do is allow him to spread false information to the other nice people. I'll just be quiet and let the blind lead the way.

for real? He makes "bold statements", so you have to resort to childish name-calling? I looked at the thread. What set you off is that he said he had looked at alot of tanks and that ADA has impecable build quality and superior craftsmanship? Now you have a personal vendetta against him?

in this thread all he said that being able to adjust the color of the light would lead to better coral growth and then you go all bezerk.

for real? He makes "bold statements", so you have to resort to childish name-calling? I looked at the thread. What set you off is that he said he had looked at alot of tanks and that ADA has impecable build quality and superior craftsmanship? Now you have a personal vendetta against him?

in this thread all he said that being able to adjust the color of the light would lead to better coral growth and then you go all bezerk.

...2nd account?

He said ADA had impeccable quality. I posted a picture showing the poor silicone on my 120H and explained an alignment issue on my 60P. He said no brands compared to ADA, but couldn't pick out the ADA tanks from the other brands when shown side by side.

He is also the one who brought up the ADA thing in this thread, not me. So I think the vendetta would be his?

He stated that sunrise/sunset fades increased coral growth/health. That's false.

Anything else?

Actually, no I didn't say that at all. In response to someone's comment about electronic controllers and sunrise/sunset effects, I said having an electronic controller allowed you to adjust the color and intensity of the light which leads to better coral growth. I'd appreciate it if you stop lying about what I actually said.

Are you saying that Halides are inferior since they're not controllable besides on/off? Cuz it seems like it.

Archived