Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

The neat thing about Smashers though is that part of their club is also a spear. Not quite the same as the Spearer but it is a very sharp point which can be extended and used if necessary.

I did not know that!

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen mine using his smasher legs for moving larger rocks around. They certainly use them for more than just beating on things. It's really cool to see them extended.

Truth...Kiwi moves stuff around her tank using her smashers to clasp bigger pebbles or shells between them.

Jamie

Agreed to both of the above. This guy is always moving stuff with his.

I did not know that!

It is very fierce looking. I'll try and get a pic next time.

This is too cool! I'd love to see more pictures.

Thanks! I'll try and get more and post them up as I can.

Hey Chris, weren't you looking for a skimmer for your tank? There's a new one on the market:

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/06/05/pico-sk...kimmer-acrylic/

Yes indeed. However when I talked to him about what size it would support he said up to 15-20G:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3891887

I inquired more in a pm but never heard a response. I tried to compare it to the one you have (size and specs) and then look at other sizes they offer (the glass ones) and compare it to those. According to the size specs, the glass ones that should support my tank (35g) are smaller than this Acrylic One.

I like the design and look, but if it won't work then I understand. Hoping to hear more about release date for Tunze 9004 (which looks really promising)!

Fed the sun coral today and guess who else really like Mysis Shrimp!!!??!!!

I got a couple of pics and some video. Will post later..

Also, another crazy surprise to post a pic of later as well!

hey chris i just got a 9002 with 2 intank cups for 75 shipped. if you go with the older 9002 i have an extra cup that you could get cheap :P

hey chris i just got a 9002 with 2 intank cups for 75 shipped. if you go with the older 9002 i have an extra cup that you could get cheap :P

Thanks! I'll let you know if I decide to go that route!

In other news...

Video...as promised:

cute video! are you giving him something to smash and eat too?

Thanks! And yup, he has plenty of snails and a few smaller hermits he can smash and eat.

The only reason he was eating the Mysis is because I was feeding it to the Sun Coral. After seeing how interested in it he was, I decided to take out the phone and snap a few more pics!

So while feeding I took some additional pics. Here they are:

IMG_20120606_162452.jpg

IMG_20120606_162612.jpg

IMG_20120606_162623.jpg

IMG_20120606_162626.jpg

IMG_20120606_162632.jpg

IMG_20120606_163240.jpg

IMG_20120606_163247.jpg

IMG_20120606_163257.jpg

IMG_20120606_163301.jpg

IMG_20120606_163306.jpg

I promised a crazy surprise pic and here it is. While feeding something interesting happened. This came off:

IMG_20120606_162251.jpg

I removed it from the tank for a better look:

IMG_20120606_172043.jpg

IMG_20120606_172124.jpg

Earlier I was talking about how smashers have both a club and a spear in one. Well, this is the spear portion. It appears to be a molt of some sort as he still has both of his attached (You can verify this in the pictures).

Islandoftiki

How interesting. Can they regenerate broken clubs/spears without a full molt? I would imagine they can. That's a cool show-and-tell.

My mantis goes nuts for mysis shrimp. They're his favorite. I'm surprised he hasn't figured out how to capture any of the population of live mysid shrimp that are living/breeding in the pest tank (maybe he has). When I feed mysis to the majanos, he's right there looking for his share. He'll load his maxillipeds up with as many as he can hold then run off into his den.

How interesting. Can they regenerate broken clubs/spears without a full molt? I would imagine they can. That's a cool show-and-tell.

Not sure if they can regenerate without a full molt. Based on what I've read, it would appear so.

Also, I've confirmed 100% that this is male, so now I must come up with a name.

I remembered to bring the DSLR today and guess who decided to stop and pose for a photo shoot? Not sure when I'll get to upload the pics but will do my best :).

Islandoftiki

Man, he's cool.

Does he pick at the sun coral a lot? My cleaner shrimp in the 10g will hassle my corals until they puke up their food sometimes.

Man, he's cool.

Does he pick at the sun coral a lot? My cleaner shrimp in the 10g will hassle my corals until they puke up their food sometimes.

So far, he tries to get little bits out of the sun coral - If he is hungry.

My cleaner shrimp is really bad about it at home in the 55g. He is a thieving fool!

Well, came in this morning to a massive reduction in snail count and an increase to empty shells.

It almost looks like a snail graveyard (or shell yard) in front of his burrow.

I have more videos to post from last week, just need to find time to upload them and not use too much of our office bandwidth, lol.

Eat that bandwidth up, man! Priorities!

Lolol...I will...eventually. Just have to space them out. We only have a 10mb pipe and well, it is normally pretty full. And, being that I work in IT, we have people monitoring it...so.....Yeah :P...I will do them in phases :P...Otherwise I'll get the...wtf....who is flooding our pipe and why isn't my Video Phone working? lol

Feeding time and guess who wouldn't let get of the turkey baster!!??!! He almost came out of the tank with it....

And I'll admit...I was a bit fearful for my hand for a moment, lol.

In other news, I have an IP camera that we had as an extra :P. However, it isn't hooked up yet and I'm not sure how I'm going to get around outside access. I really want to put a feed to share with you all how active this guy is, but running into some "technical issues" trying to accomplish this.

Islandoftiki

I've had to shake my mantis off the feeding forceps a couple times. He just loves the feeding forceps. It must seem like some sort of long pointy stainless steel god that brings him delicious food. Who wouldn't worship and form an unnatural attachment to that?

Very true. They do seem to love things that bring them food.

Btw...did that message I sent help any?

New FTS!!!

FTS 6/12/2012

FTS6712.png

Archived