Cultivated Reef

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

Very true. They do seem to love things that bring them food.

Btw...did that message I sent help any?

New FTS!!!

FTS 6/12/2012

FTS6712.png

Nice FTS of the habitat! Did I notice a fire fish in one of your vids?

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! And yes, there is a fire fish in there. So far the two seem to be getting along. The mantis doesn't seem that interested in him. Let's put it this way, he's made a move at it, but nothing big. If he wanted to eat it, the fish would be dead by now, lol.

Islandoftiki

Here's the majano I was able to pry loose from the rock. It's pretty decent medium sized one. It's a little pissed and completely shriveled up, but will perk right back up in a day or two of being in your tank.

E82D5844.jpg

I'll be dropping it off at the post office at lunch.

Cheers!

Islandoftiki

Oh, and yes, that did help. Gives me an idea of what to budget for. It'll probably be a little ways down the road before I build my mantis tank unless I find a good used tank. People are always selling 20-40 gallon tanks though.

Here's the majano I was able to pry loose from the rock. It's pretty decent medium sized one. It's a little pissed and completely shriveled up, but will perk right back up in a day or two of being in your tank.

E82D5844.jpg

I'll be dropping it off at the post office at lunch.

Cheers!

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Oh, and yes, that did help. Gives me an idea of what to budget for. It'll probably be a little ways down the road before I build my mantis tank unless I find a good used tank. People are always selling 20-40 gallon tanks though.

Cool. Glad to hear it helped. I would be willing to be you could find a cheap tank on Craigslist. Then again, it depends on what exactly you are going for look/design wise (tank and sump or AIO), lol.

Islandoftiki
Cool. Glad to hear it helped. I would be willing to be you could find a cheap tank on Craigslist. Then again, it depends on what exactly you are going for look/design wise (tank and sump or AIO), lol.

Well, as you've probably gathered, I'm super picky about the look and quality of things, so it would have to be a pretty nice tank. I still want to stay away from a sumped system, but might ultimately have to go there.

Well, as you've probably gathered, I'm super picky about the look and quality of things, so it would have to be a pretty nice tank. I still want to stay away from a sumped system, but might ultimately have to go there.

I vote no sump. I can show you the design I have in mind...if you want. What size you going for ?

Islandoftiki
I vote no sump. I can show you the design I have in mind...if you want. What size you going for ?

Yeah, I'm interested. I'm thinking the smallest comfortable size for a Peacock Mantis or other larger mantis up to about 5 inches.

Yeah, I'm interested. I'm thinking the smallest comfortable size for a Peacock Mantis or other larger mantis up to about 5 inches.

Cool...Would you prefer a shallow look or deep? Keep in mind it can't be too shallow due to the size they can get.

Islandoftiki
Cool...Would you prefer a shallow look or deep? Keep in mind it can't be too shallow due to the size they can get.

I like the overall dimensions of your mantis tank.

looking so sick chris. keep it up!!!

Thanks! Not sure what else I'm going to be adding. I have a majano coming form Islandoftiki and I may seek out other NPS.

I like the overall dimensions of your mantis tank.

Ok. Well you have all of the info on that already :). Although, there is one slight modification I'd make. Anyways, if you need specifics, let me know.

On a separate note/update....I have a live video feed!!! The downside, it is internal to my company only at this point in time. Need to try and convince them to open the firewall and let it out :).

It looks like I may have only 2-5 snails remaining. The rest have been consumed by (yet to be named) Mantis.

Looks like I'll be placing a reefcleaners.org order here soon

Islandoftiki
It looks like I may have only 2-5 snails remaining. The rest have been consumed by (yet to be named) Mantis.

My mantis uses the leftover snail shells as structural members in some of his building projects. He completely walled off a 1/2" hole using broken snail shells and small amount coral rubble. It's pretty impressive engineering.

jedimasterben

Sir Alfred Pennington, esquire.

My mantis uses the leftover snail shells as structural members in some of his building projects. He completely walled off a 1/2" hole using broken snail shells and small amount coral rubble. It's pretty impressive engineering.

Yup. They love to build structures, and using their left over snail shells is very common and very impressive. I'm hoping mine builds a full set of weapons!

Sir Alfred Pennington, esquire.

I'll keep that in mind :)

Nice tank mainly built for mantis, I like it!!

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Tomorrow is going to be like Christmas!

I am expecting 2 deliveries:

1. Majano from Islandoftiki

2. Pico Skimmer from PicoAquariums!

I may get a 3rd delivery in, but not sure:

3. Dragon's Breath Macro from keydiver

Will be sure to take pics of everything when I can.

Islandoftiki

Yeah, it looks like it'll be there tomorrow! Woohoo!

When you get it, it'll be totally shriveled up into a pea-sized ball. It's pretty easy to tell which way is up and which way is down (white-ish side down). It'll attach pretty quick when you place it on a rock. It'll take 3-15 minutes for it to stick. Reduce the water flow in the tank temporarily so it doesn't blow around the tank. You'll probably need to keep your mantis occupied while you're placing it so he doesn't bump it.

Place it white side down where you're hoping for it to stay and just leave it for a while. The white side is pretty sticky. Once it is attached, turn the flow back on and wait a couple days for it to expand back to normal size.

You can feed it just like you do your sun coral. They'll eat anything meaty. Considering how hearty these things are, I'm sure it won't care that there isn't much light, but it may move around to find it's favorite spot.

Yeah, it looks like it'll be there tomorrow! Woohoo!

When you get it, it'll be totally shriveled up into a pea-sized ball. It's pretty easy to tell which way is up and which way is down (white-ish side down). It'll attach pretty quick when you place it on a rock. It'll take 3-15 minutes for it to stick. Reduce the water flow in the tank temporarily so it doesn't blow around the tank. You'll probably need to keep your mantis occupied while you're placing it so he doesn't bump it.

Place it white side down where you're hoping for it to stay and just leave it for a while. The white side is pretty sticky. Once it is attached, turn the flow back on and wait a couple days for it to expand back to normal size.

You can feed it just like you do your sun coral. They'll eat anything meaty. Considering how hearty these things are, I'm sure it won't care that there isn't much light, but it may move around to find it's favorite spot.

Thanks! I'm super excited for this thing to arrive. I'm going to have to be extra careful putting it in the tank, but I think I have a way to distract the mantis :P.

As far as feeding goes, that won't be a problem! Everything in the tank like Mysis so it will get fed them as well :)

Went to get a bite to eat and came back to 3 packages!

Tomorrow is going to be like Christmas!

I am expecting 2 deliveries:

1. Majano from Islandoftiki

2. Pico Skimmer from PicoAquariums!

3. Dragon's Breath Macro from keydiver

The Majano looks pissed (as expected) lol. It is floating.

UPS can't read the words fragile when it comes to the skimmer but all looks ok.

Dragon's Breath is floating as well.

Islandoftiki

It's like Christmas! Just wait till the majano opens up, it'll be even more Christmas-y!

Had to drive out past Akron for work today... So guess who is stopping at Tidal Gardens on the way back!?!

Islandoftiki
Had to drive out past Akron for work today... So guess who is stopping at Tidal Gardens on the way back!?!

Uh oh... there goes the contents of your wallet.

Archived