Cultivated Reef

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

Looks like the crab brought a knife to a gun fight...

Yeah, pretty much...

Also, guess what decided to move today...The mojano. It was on the substrate first thing this morning and is now 3/4 of the way up the acrylic on the side. Very odd. Maybe the MP10 was too much flow for it :).

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put the extra fiddler crabs in the back fuge section. They are trying to escape now.....Pretty sure I'm going to come in Monday to a fiddler on the floor.

albertthiel
I put the extra fiddler crabs in the back fuge section. They are trying to escape now.....Pretty sure I'm going to come in Monday to a fiddler on the floor.

Can you put a cover over it e.g. netting or something alike ?

Two videos total; Make sure your volume is on and up and that you watch in HD.

First video is introducing the crab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_iE8ez-H-M

Unfortunately, I dropped the crab too close to his cave. As you can see, he was very quick to respond and attack it. After many quick hits (you can hear them all on the video) he then begins to carry it around like a trophy.

Second video is the Mantis with the crab...carrying it like a prize:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6HoUeqezE

At this point, he is still carrying it around and beating it every now and then. I expect to find missing limbs as the day progresses.

That sure was "quick" more than quick .... super quick :)

Can you put a cover over it e.g. netting or something alike ?

That sure was "quick" more than quick .... super quick :)

Hi Albert,

I cannot put a lid or netting over it. The main tank has the lid, but back AIO section is where the fuge is. I'm not too concerned if they get out.

Also, the video you quoted there is the emerald crab. The newest from today is of the fiddler crab:

Hope you enjoy :)

Islandoftiki
Yeah, pretty much...

Also, guess what decided to move today...The mojano. It was on the substrate first thing this morning and is now 3/4 of the way up the acrylic on the side. Very odd. Maybe the MP10 was too much flow for it :).

Yeah, they will move around. Amazing how fast they actually move. It seems impossible.

albertthiel
Hi Albert,

I cannot put a lid or netting over it. The main tank has the lid, but back AIO section is where the fuge is. I'm not too concerned if they get out.

Also, the video you quoted there is the emerald crab. The newest from today is of the fiddler crab:

Hope you enjoy :)

Thanks for clarifying that ... it looks very similar ... but then it goes so fast ... I'll amend the post on my thread and add the new link ...

DONE ... it's now on my thread as well .. thanks ccapasso ... great show :0

Albert

Took a peek before wrapping up tonight and look who has a pair of tusks now :P

IMG_20120629_164547.jpg

If you aren't able to see it, he has two crab claws in his mouth, making him look like he has tusks :)

albertthiel
Took a peek before wrapping up tonight and look who has a pair of tusks now :P

IMG_20120629_164547.jpg

If you aren't able to see it, he has two crab claws in his mouth, making him look like he has tusks :)

That "thing" is a "BEAST" ... but then Mantis are :0

jedimasterben

Forgot to ask, what Webcam were you using to broadcast with? That thing was really high quality for a webcam!

I've been getting my mantis to feed off of tweezers but I haven't tried live crabs yet. He has been smashing one resilient turbo snail repeatedly whenever they encounter each other but be has yet to crack his shell.

Forgot to ask, what Webcam were you using to broadcast with? That thing was really high quality for a webcam!

Let me check when I get back to work and I'll let you know.

I've been getting my mantis to feed off of tweezers but I haven't tried live crabs yet. He has been smashing one resilient turbo snail repeatedly whenever they encounter each other but be has yet to crack his shell.

Nice! That happens a lot too. Sometimes they just smack them around for a while, then come back at it later. Mine did that with a large snail and eventually just took it in his cave and worked it for the whole day, lol.

The two Fiddlers survived the weekend back in the fuge.

You know what that means ?? ... !!!....

Live feeding today around 1:00 pm EST.

Separate note, the webcam I used was the Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000

Islandoftiki
About to catch the crabs. Then it is feeding time!!

The crab seriously fell straight into the den?

Stupid crab! Feel right in there. The Mantis turned around and missed him the first time but found him when going back in.

Oh well, tomorrow is the last crab!

jedimasterben
Separate note, the webcam I used was the Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000

Very cool. I ordered the MS Lifecam Cinema yesterday. I'm going on a "surprise" vacation out of state for a week next Tuesday and I'd want to keep an eye on my fish and while my tank sitters will be taking care of them. Then I am thinking of putting it on my main reef tank 24/7. :)

I'm gonna try and be on to watch it!!

Islandoftiki

UStream has an iPhone app (and probably android, too) that will allow you to watch your stream from your phone. It's handy for keeping tabs on things when you're on vacation. I used to have a webcam on my dwarf shrimp tank and used Ustream for it.

jedimasterben
UStream has an iPhone app (and probably android, too) that will allow you to watch your stream from your phone. It's handy for keeping tabs on things when you're on vacation. I used to have a webcam on my dwarf shrimp tank and used Ustream for it.

I'm taking my laptop and tablet with me, both can access the Ustream site, but that's handy about the app, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Islandoftiki

Chris,

Can you raise your camera up about a foot or so, or is it kinda stuck at that level?

Archived