Coral Vue Hydros

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

Looks kinda normal to me. Can you lower the skimmer down a little? It seems maybe a little high.

Maybe there just isn't much to skim right now. I'm assuming no feeding over the weekend.

The bubbles look nice and small.

albertthiel
Here is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCn2YwDWD7w

Looks like it may need to be cleaned at the top. Note that after you do that the skimmer will not work as well till the sides of the tube get coated again and the foam does not break up.

Right now the dirt at the top may and I say may prevent the skimmer from working properly.

Airstone seems to be doing OK though, but replacing it will not hurt.

Albert

Islandoftiki

Yeah, maybe give it a good cleaning. I soak mine in vinegar for half an hour and give it a quick run through with a bottle brush. Comes out looking like new.

Thanks guys.

I can lower the skimmer a little. In doing so, the airstone will not be as low, but should still be ok.

I can see foam going up and in the tube, so I'm pretty sure the "gunk" is blocking it.

There may not be too much to skim. He has killed off all of the snails and the only feedings are the mysis shrimp every other day (3 days a week) and fish pellets daily. That and of course the occasional crab or snail that I give him.

I'm not too worried, as I'm sure it is fine, but wanted additional thoughts :).

I lowered the skimmer a little bit this morning. Will monitor and see how it does. However, I have to leave in an hour so I'm not sure I'll get to monitor much today :P

Islandoftiki

How's the skimmer working now?

I gave mine the full meal deal cleaning last night. It was looking like your picture with a film of brown gunk at the top. Soaked it in vinegar for 30 minutes and ran a bottle brush through it. I also scraped down the sides of the airstone with a razor blade held at 90 degrees to remove any algae buildup. I forgot how well this thing skims when it's all new and clean. It's 33.3333% better.

Give that thing a good bath and it should be back to 100%.

It seems to be working, but probably could use a cleaning. I'm going out of town this weekend for a wedding and then vacation Sun-Tue. As such, it will have to wait til Wednesday at the earliest for me to clean it.

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben
Do you have a thread for the tank that little beauty is going in?

He will most likely be going in the 40b sump of my big system. Dont think i want to make another tank right now. Have plenty already. :)

Though, the extra little 3g would be a mansion to him right now. Hmmmm.

look what iiiiiiiiiiiiii goootttttttttttt.

Wow that is a really nice one ... !

Yes do set up that 3G for him so you can start a thread on it .. seems like lost of hobs like to keep Mantis nowadays, and that is for sure a big change from years ago.

Albert

Nice! New mantis owner!!

No real big updates here. Skimmer seems to be doing ok. Still haven't cleaned it (no time).

Mantis is doing great! I gave him a crab on Friday and wish I would have recorded it. By far the best fight so far. The fiddler was huge and his claw was enormous! First thing the Mantis did...straight for the claw. He did have to back up a few times and go at another angle as the crab kept pointing his claw at him. Within 30 seconds though, the crab was done for. Claw destroyed and food for Mantis.

Islandoftiki

That's awesome, Chris. I dumped about 25 dwarf cerith snails into my pest tank last week. As of last night, it looks like a snail graveyard of broken shells and dreams. There might be 10 left.

My friend Jim was house sitting for us this weekend and said that the mantis shrimp are now his favorite animal.

jedimasterben
That's awesome, Chris. I dumped about 25 dwarf cerith snails into my pest tank last week. As of last night, it looks like a snail graveyard of broken shells and dreams. There might be 10 left.

My friend Jim was house sitting for us this weekend and said that the mantis shrimp are now his favorite animal.

I just ordered 20 dwarfs from Reef Cleaners. I'll probably get a couple hundred of them, he will feast like a king for like a month or so. At least a week. B)

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Hey Chris,

How's the mantis doing? I know the summer has us all captivated with activities and outdoor stuff, but I'd love to hear a quick update about the tank!

Cheers!

Hey Chris,

How's the mantis doing? I know the summer has us all captivated with activities and outdoor stuff, but I'd love to hear a quick update about the tank!

Cheers!

same same.

Archived