Coral Vue Hydros

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

So it would appear that the skimmer is working very well.

In fact, it may be working too well :P. The chaeto in the 2nd chamber has all but dwindled away. This only started happening after I put in the skimmer. That being said, I can only assume that the skimmer is doing its job and removing the excess nutrients and thus nothing left for the chaeto to use to grow?

Thoughts ??

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fact, it may be working too well :P. The chaeto in the 2nd chamber has all but dwindled away. This only started happening after I put in the skimmer. That being said, I can only assume that the skimmer is doing its job and removing the excess nutrients and thus nothing left for the chaeto to use to grow?

Thoughts ??

Hummmm how much light do you have on the chaeto?

jedimasterben

Thoughts ??

sounds about right for the most part. i would imagine its not a high nutrient all the time, you dont feed the mantis too often.

Hummmm how much light do you have on the chaeto?

Light shouldn't be an issue. I've got that 10W submersible light in there. It was growing fine for the longest time. Just started depleting while I was out on vacation and is now nearly gone.

sounds about right for the most part. i would imagine its not a high nutrient all the time, you dont feed the mantis too often.

He eats the CUC and any little "treats" i give him every now and then. And the fish, well it eats very little of course :)

Islandoftiki

My chaeto still grows pretty well on my 10 gallon with my skimmer, but I have that tank pretty heavily stocked. I was hoping it would starve out the last little bit of GHA in my tank, but ultimately, it's just staying under control and not going away. I've been cutting back the amount I'm feeding.

So, my guess is because your tank is so lightly stocked, you probably have extremely clean water.

Maybe it's time to add some more low/no light corals that require some feeding?

I've been thinking of adding more NPS, however I cannot dedicate the time required to feed them.

Also, while I was out on vacation, the sun coral was only fed once. Normally it is fed 3 times a week. So I'm thinking that may have something to do with it too.

Well whenever we get a chance to trade coral I have extra chaeto that I need to part with that you can have.

Cool. Thanks! I may be able to work something out this Thursday after I get off work (5pm EST).

Here's a random thought:

Could I put a frogfish (wartskin) back in my refuge section ? It isn' very deep, but it is tall and long. Downside, no rocks back there for him (although I guess I could put some :P).

jedimasterben

In the back section of an AiO tank? I would barely feel comfortable putting snails or hermits back there, much less a fish.

albertthiel
In the back section of an AiO tank? I would barely feel comfortable putting snails or hermits back there, much less a fish.

+1

+1

Keep in mind the AIO Section of mine is larger than the average AIO as it is a custom tank.

However, that being said, I really doubt that I'd ever put a fish back there :P

jedimasterben

Even the smaller species of anglers need much more space. Plus, you'd never be able to see it back there!

I've got to get me one, though. After seeing alto's nom on a chromis that was as big as it was, it is now a necessity. :lol:

Even the smaller species of anglers need much more space. Plus, you'd never be able to see it back there!

I've got to get me one, though. After seeing alto's nom on a chromis that was as big as it was, it is now a necessity. :lol:

Yup...I have a spare 10G that I picked up that I may use for one....Or I know PetCo is still running there $1 per gallon, may have to trade it in for a 20 :)

jedimasterben
Yup...I have a spare 10G that I picked up that I may use for one....Or I know PetCo is still running there $1 per gallon, may have to trade it in for a 20 :)

Dooooooo itttttttttt.

I'm not the little devil on your shoulder or anything like that. ;)

albertthiel

Jedi Ben ... here's a good one for you Lophius piscatorial

Lophius%20piscatorius.png

Nice but he may devour everything in the tank :-)

Albert

jedimasterben
Jedi Ben ... here's a good one for you Lophius piscatorial

Lophius%20piscatorius.png

Nice but he may devour everything in the tank :-)

Albert

It's the stuff that dreams nightmares are made of!

Cool. Thanks! I may be able to work something out this Thursday after I get off work (5pm EST).

that sounds pretty good to me. ill make sure that is gonna work out today and ill pm you in a bit.

Get a 20L. Split it with a false wall. Half for a smaller mantis half for a smaller angler. That would be a sweet tank!

that sounds pretty good to me. ill make sure that is gonna work out today and ill pm you in a bit.

Ok. Just let me know before tomorrow morning. If we are going to meet, I'll need to bring the frag(s) with me to work. Usually leave the house around 7:20am.

Get a 20L. Split it with a false wall. Half for a smaller mantis half for a smaller angler. That would be a sweet tank!

Tempting....

So the skimmer doesn't seem to be pulling much waste out anymore. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just possibly how I have it setup.

Currently, I have the airstone as low as possible in the tube. Would it make sense to move it up some at this point? The airpump is at full power.

Islandoftiki
So the skimmer doesn't seem to be pulling much waste out anymore. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just possibly how I have it setup.

Currently, I have the airstone as low as possible in the tube. Would it make sense to move it up some at this point? The airpump is at full power.

How much of a head of foam do you have going? Can you post a picture or short video of it running?

I had to replace my airstone after about a month and a half. The bubbles start getting too big to be efficient after a while. Before your replace it, take it out and scrape down the sides with a razor blade and see if that doesn't take care of it.

I recently bought a bunch of limewood airstones from a guy on Ebay and they're really nice, and only 99 cents each.

The top of the skimmer is pretty dirty so I can't really see how much foam.

However, I'll take a pic and try a short video.

There is still "foam" going down the waste tube, just not much. Then again, the waste tube is quite long right now (until I can put in a shelf and raise the container up). A lot of the foam could be evaporating on the way down I suppose.

Archived