SaltCritters.com

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

DUDE! I need a peacock mantis now...

But I don't know, a two mantis household? Well, you know, yesterday my fiance rescued two parrots, so we're a three parrot household now... I think I deserve another mantis. They're much quieter than parrots.

DUDE! I need a peacock mantis now...

But I don't know, a two mantis household? Well, you know, yesterday my fiance rescued two parrots, so we're a three parrot household now... I think I deserve another mantis. They're much quieter than parrots.

Do It! I think you have justified the need with having the three parrots now.

I'd say the ratio should be 2 mantis for every one parrot.

On a separate note, it looks like he has already started work on his burrow over night. The bad part, he decided to make it in the back of the tank.....

I know there will be a series of tunnels and burrows so I'm not too worried.

Also, if I can I'm going to try and put a video stream up today.....maybe.....

Spirofucci

Those guys have got to be some of the coolest creatures on earth. someday maybe I'll have to get me one!

Those guys have got to be some of the coolest creatures on earth. someday maybe I'll have to get me one!

I highly recommend getting one!

So today it has been nothing but a sandstorm in the tank. Mantis shrimp building home + MP10 = cloudy all day, lol.

He has been very active and very interested in all that is going on. Each time I go up to the tank he comes out to either say hello or "what you want fool".

JamieSheffield

Congrats! Gorgeous Mantis...now I'll have to get another tank and get a peacock...dammit!

Jamie

Islandoftiki
He has been very active and very interested in all that is going on. Each time I go up to the tank he comes out to either say hello or "what you want fool".

They are amazingly curious. No question that they actually think about things and make plans and don't just react to their environment. That's intelligent alien life, right there in your tank.

I think I would have a hard time not having a mantis shrimp now that I have one.

JamieSheffield

Kiwi spends a lot of each day watching me work at my desk...also plotting my death.

Jamie

Kiwi spends a lot of each day watching me work at my desk...also plotting my death.

Jamie

How do you think he's planning on killing you?

Side note...guess who has been super active!! ?? !!

He started the tunnel in the back of the tank and now has an entrance/exit in the front! Yes!!!

I shot 2 quick videos as I can't do the webcam yet. Need to figure that out still.

Will post videos after a bit.

How's our mantis buddy doing today?

He's doing great!

Looks like he has completed phase 1 of his tunnel system. No more sand being kicked up today so I took 2 pics this morning before my meetings:

IMG_20120604_080629.jpg

IMG_20120604_080632.jpg

looks so good man. i need to make a trip out there sometime soon. maybe sometime when you come to aquatica you can stop over and see my setup

Great vids! Also, look like the sun polyps like it in there.

Thanks! So far it seems happy in there, or I guess I should say they both (the mantis and sun polyp) seem happy :).

looks so good man. i need to make a trip out there sometime soon. maybe sometime when you come to aquatica you can stop over and see my setup

Thank you sir! You are welcome to come out whenever. Granted this is in my office at work, so I'd have to make sure when, but otherwise absolutely! I'd love to swing by and take a look at yours one of the times I'm out at aquatica.

Islandoftiki

What do your coworkers think of the mantis? Everybody who sees mine is amazed.

What do your coworkers think of the mantis? Everybody who sees mine is amazed.

So far they are very intrigued. Most of them think it is very cool. They all want to see it go on a killing spree :P

Awesome mantis! almost makes my harlequin seem boring.... lol

Thanks! Get a Mantis, you won't be disappointed :P

Nice shrimpee!!! Do you have a name yet?

Thanks!

Haven't picked a name yet. Still need to determine if it is male or female.

Very true! I'm leaning more towards female as they typically are the browner in color of the species. However Mantis shrimp can change color.

In other news I meant to bring the DSLR today and forgot (fail)!

However, the Mantis and I were having our morning greeting (stare down) and he did something very cool. He extended his club and actually opened it up to show his spear! First time I've ever seen this happen.

I must say it was very impressive and very sharp looking.

For those of you that don't know there are two types of Mantis shrimp - "Smashers" and "Spearers." Spearers have a spear appendage that they use to catch live prey. Smashers have a club they use to destroy their food source.

The neat thing about Smashers though is that part of their club is also a spear. Not quite the same as the Spearer but it is a very sharp point which can be extended and used if necessary.

Anyways, I really wish I had the camera to capture mine showing his this morning but no luck.

Islandoftiki

I've seen mine using his smasher legs for moving larger rocks around. They certainly use them for more than just beating on things. It's really cool to see them extended.

JamieSheffield
I've seen mine using his smasher legs for moving larger rocks around. They certainly use them for more than just beating on things. It's really cool to see them extended.

Truth...Kiwi moves stuff around her tank using her smashers to clasp bigger pebbles or shells between them.

Jamie

Archived