ReefCleaners.org

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

how many gallons is the tank? you might be able to use the same heater i have and not have to look at it.

It is 35 gallons total. Display area is about 30.

Just bought this heater too. It is a real nice one and I would hate to return it (that and I'd have to deal with shipping).

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brand new MP10es on track to be delivered tomorrow!

In other news, I need to start looking at skimmers...I think...

Speaking of, would it be possible to design a skimmer that could also run purigen? Or would that not make any sense?

Islandoftiki
Brand new MP10es on track to be delivered tomorrow!

In other news, I need to start looking at skimmers...I think...

Speaking of, would it be possible to design a skimmer that could also run purigen? Or would that not make any sense?

Purigen just goes into a bag that you stick in the filter compartment where it gets a lot of flow. A skimmer is just a device that uses tiny bubbles to bind organic compounds and float them out of the water. Not sure how those would merge into anything or why. You could probably build a purigen reactor or something though. I think that would be overkill. Purigen is pretty efficient as it is.

Do you have room for a tunze 9002 skimmer? Those seem to have pretty good reviews. Not sure if you want a visible collection cup sticking out of the top of the tank though.

Another option would be to use a gnome glass skimmer like I have. Get the biggest one that will fit into your tank, or maybe even two of them like they often run the MAME skimmers. Then you can have the collection container in your cabinet with a discrete hose going to it. They're not as efficient as a modern skimmer, but they do work, and with a quiet air pump, they're nearly silent.

Also, on the MP10, the instructions that came with mine made NO sense whatsoever. They've obviously changed the design of the thing and didn't change the instructions. If your instructions tell you you have to make some wacky adjustments. There's only one adjustment... to use the spacer pad or not. Thick aquariums don't use it. Thinner ones do. It drove me nuts trying to figure out what the heck the instructions were talking about with this crazy adjustment system.

Purigen just goes into a bag that you stick in the filter compartment where it gets a lot of flow. A skimmer is just a device that uses tiny bubbles to bind organic compounds and float them out of the water. Not sure how those would merge into anything or why. You could probably build a purigen reactor or something though. I think that would be overkill. Purigen is pretty efficient as it is.

Do you have room for a tunze 9002 skimmer? Those seem to have pretty good reviews. Not sure if you want a visible collection cup sticking out of the top of the tank though.

Another option would be to use a gnome glass skimmer like I have. Get the biggest one that will fit into your tank, or maybe even two of them like they often run the MAME skimmers. Then you can have the collection container in your cabinet with a discrete hose going to it. They're not as efficient as a modern skimmer, but they do work, and with a quiet air pump, they're nearly silent.

Also, on the MP10, the instructions that came with mine made NO sense whatsoever. They've obviously changed the design of the thing and didn't change the instructions. If your instructions tell you you have to make some wacky adjustments. There's only one adjustment... to use the spacer pad or not. Thick aquariums don't use it. Thinner ones do. It drove me nuts trying to figure out what the heck the instructions were talking about with this crazy adjustment system.

I ran purigen in the Pico and it worked great. My only thought was to combine the purigen with the skimmer. No real logic behind the thought, just a thought.

I have looked at the Tunze 9002. Not sure yet what I want to do as I really would like to keep this as clean as possible. I know Pico-Aquariums is due to release a skimmer this month. I'm hoping it will work. If not, I can do the gnome.

Thanks for the info on the MP10. The tank is 3/8" acrylic so I doubt I'll be using the spacer. Besides, what is thing you speak of called instructions?

Islandoftiki
Thanks for the info on the MP10. The tank is 3/8" acrylic so I doubt I'll be using the spacer. Besides, what is thing you speak of called instructions?

Here's the instruction manual that should have come with mine...

MP10 Instruction Manual PDF

Deckoz2302

If you don't use the spacer don't turn your mp10 up to 80-100% the heat will cause the acrylic to craze.

Islandoftiki

I run mine in lagoon random mode most of the time. It gives you a really good random mix of flow. Even makes small waves at times. I don't turn mine up over 50%. At 100% you could probably keep the entire sand bed in suspension.

If you don't use the spacer don't turn your mp10 up to 80-100% the heat will cause the acrylic to craze.

I run mine in lagoon random mode most of the time. It gives you a really good random mix of flow. Even makes small waves at times. I don't turn mine up over 50%. At 100% you could probably keep the entire sand bed in suspension.

Thanks guys! I'll read through everything before installing.

One thing that has me puzzled currently is this line from the instructions:

Attach the motor assembly

• Apply the cord mounting tab approximately 2” above the desired location of your VorTech

pump. Make sure the glass is clean and free of any grease or dirt prior to applying this

tab.

• Place the VorTech motor upon the tank wall in your pre-determined location, and secure

the cord to the mounting tab using one of the provided wire-ties.

• The cord must be positioned pointing upwards so that if the VorTech were to fall off the

aquarium, it does not swing and damage your aquarium or your pump.

Protect the Pump From falling

Due to the nature of the magnetically coupled design, it is possible for the VorTech to become dislodged from the

aquarium glass and fall to the ground. The provided cord mounting tab MUST be used to prevent damage to the motor

or the surrounding environment. The cord should be positioned vertically above the pump with the mounting tab directly

above the motor to ensure that the motor does not move in the event of a de-coupling of the magnets

While I understand the logic, something just doesn't click right away. If my cord is going up but my power outlet is below...how on earth does this work?

Anyone with an MP10 setup in this fashion that could provide a pic would be helpful.

Islandoftiki
Anyone with an MP10 setup in this fashion that could provide a pic would be helpful.

Old pic, but this is what they want you to do...

562711B2.jpg

Spirofucci

I thought that was wierd when I first got mine as well. The reason is incase the outer motor slips off it won't crash the the floor and break which is not covered on the warrenty. The little square thingy on mine lost its grip after two months. I do have the cord loped up over the back and then down to the floor.

Islandoftiki
I thought that was wierd when I first got mine as well. The reason is incase the outer motor slips off it won't crash the the floor and break which is not covered on the warrenty. The little square thingy on mine lost its grip after two months. I do have the cord loped up over the back and then down to the floor.

You can buy a whole bag of the sticky-backed zip-tie clips at Home Depot or Lowes if you need a replacement. They're cheap and useful for lots of things. Actually, I'd like to find something more aesthetically pleasing than those.

You can buy a whole bag of the sticky-backed zip-tie clips at Home Depot or Lowes if you need a replacement. They're cheap and useful for lots of things. Actually, I'd like to find something more aesthetically pleasing than those.

Haha...

Dopey.jpg

I need two mp40's for my build. Doesn't look like im getting that build up for a couple years. I need to stop eating now so I can save that money for the mp40's. I run my mp10 on lagoonal as well.

Ok....MP10 is hooked up and working. Seems a little noisy though. I've "aligned" it and there are no vibrations. I just hear the unit itself (if that makes sense). Almost sounds like an engine.

Anyways, I put it on lagoon mode to try that out. With that setting, should I turn the max speed for lagoon mode down to about 50%?.

Right now it is at 100% on lagoon (which seems to be about 50% of the max speed on constant).

Islandoftiki
Ok....MP10 is hooked up and working. Seems a little noisy though. I've "aligned" it and there are no vibrations. I just hear the unit itself (if that makes sense). Almost sounds like an engine.

Anyways, I put it on lagoon mode to try that out. With that setting, should I turn the max speed for lagoon mode down to about 50%?.

Right now it is at 100% on lagoon (which seems to be about 50% of the max speed on constant).

Give it a day or three. They're always a little noisy during the break-in peroid. Mine quieted down after a day or two. I was going to mention that earlier.

• Like 1

Archived