Top Shelf Aquatics

old thread lol

jedimasterben

jedimasterben
Many brittle stars spend their entire life in one spot in the rock. Act more like filter feeders.

Didn't know that, must be what it is, then. Thanks everyone. :)

Baffles are in place, now the waiting game begins.

2012-06-17_17-40-07_109.jpg

2012-06-17_17-40-14_553.jpg

Worst silicone job ever? Damn straight. :)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel
Many brittle stars spend their entire life in one spot in the rock. Act more like filter feeders.

They are strange acting indeed and trap food often as you say never moving to another location unless predated on . Here is a link to lots of info for those who wish to read it on Brittle Stars, including one you should "never" have in your tank and should remove as soon as you can if you see one

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm

Albert

jedimasterben

So I have the MP10 on the back of the tank on high so that I would see if it would blow the sand all over the place, and it does. Hopefully my bommie in the middle will keep it from blowing it too much. Plus, I don't think I will run them at maximum anyway, even though it is MUCH quieter on maximum than it is at like 75%. Go figure lol.

Nice tank so far. When we getting a full frontal shot? I also wish I read this earlier with all the cats bein posted. My girlfriends cat goes on walks with us like a dog, knows how to sit, and will only come to you if you whistle. No key jingling or "psspsspss" for this cat.

And the reef riot guy doesn't have a clue about anything. Believe me, I killed a slow work day watching him dig himself deeper and deeper in a hole of lies.

Hey Jedimasterben i have been following your build and have a quick question in regards to your led setup. I really like the fact that your cluster combo is equal with all leds being run at an even power. With that being said i am planning to apply your 2x white, 3x royal, 1x cool blue, 1x red, 1x cyan, and 2x violet clusters to my own build. I am looking to use four of these clusters on a 24" x 6" heat sink to cover a 32x22x14 area. I'm planning to use no optics at around 6-10" off the water. Does this sound like it would be enough light for corals and etc? Thanks for any input or suggestions you have!

Rollermonkey

Wow.

...also feel better now about mixing my initial batch of SW in the tank with the return pump and MP10. If Jedi Master Ben did it, it must be OK.

Mine do that -- stay in one place. Even when I move rocks around, the same sized ones often find their way back to the spot they like. They probably move around at night, but since I'm not here at night, I never see that action. Given the way the tank often looks on Monday morning, I should probably sneak in some Saturday evening with a red-filtered flashlight!

jedimasterben
Nice tank so far. When we getting a full frontal shot? I also wish I read this earlier with all the cats bein posted. My girlfriends cat goes on walks with us like a dog, knows how to sit, and will only come to you if you whistle. No key jingling or "psspsspss" for this cat.

And the reef riot guy doesn't have a clue about anything. Believe me, I killed a slow work day watching him dig himself deeper and deeper in a hole of lies.

I'll put some up later today. Yeah, that guy has nothing better to do than thread####.

Hey Jedimasterben i have been following your build and have a quick question in regards to your led setup. I really like the fact that your cluster combo is equal with all leds being run at an even power. With that being said i am planning to apply your 2x white, 3x royal, 1x cool blue, 1x red, 1x cyan, and 2x violet clusters to my own build. I am looking to use four of these clusters on a 24" x 6" heat sink to cover a 32x22x14 area. I'm planning to use no optics at around 6-10" off the water. Does this sound like it would be enough light for corals and etc? Thanks for any input or suggestions you have!

For a 32x22x14 I would suggest not running the clusters in the center, not only will the corners of the tank probably be dark, but it won't be enough light evenly throughout the tank if you don't want to keep corals only in the center under the LEDs.

And actually, I'm now finding that the ratio I have is less than ideal for a full-spectrum setup, mainly because the exotics form a white light, which in addition to the white LEDs, gives the tank an 8000-10000K look, not quite the 14000K I was going for. So now my clusters will be this:

2x NW Rebel ES

4x RB Rebel ES

1x cool blue Rebel (Steve is carrying these now, will be shipping soon!)

1x deep red Rebel

1x cyan Rebel

2x violet (generic)

Steve is also making new 3up stars just for this kind of setup - one star will have 1x NW and 2x RB (with each having its own solder pad so they can be run on different drivers), and the other will have 1x cool blue, 1x deep red, and 1x cyan all on one (and will be run in series, so one driver).

For your tank, I would recommend 4x clusters (so you're good on that), but spaced out differently, like this:

---------------------------

-----X---------------X-----

-----X---------------X-----

And with no optics hung at that height, just be aware that you will have a ton of light spill into the room - once Steve lets me know what kind of optics he will get on the 3up stars, I'll let you know how high I would recommend hanging it. :)

Wow.

...also feel better now about mixing my initial batch of SW in the tank with the return pump and MP10. If Jedi Master Ben did it, it must be OK.

Meh, there wasn't anything living in it at the time, so it's perfectly ok. :)

They are strange acting indeed and trap food often as you say never moving to another location unless predated on . Here is a link to lots of info for those who wish to read it on Brittle Stars, including one you should "never" have in your tank and should remove as soon as you can if you see one

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm

Albert

Neat link -- I find the comment on the bottom regarding basket stars interesting. I have at least 2 that came in as hitchhikers. I say "at least" b/c there are 2 different sized ones I see, and sometimes I think I've spotted a third, very small one. I have done nothing special to feed them (couldn't since I didn't know they were there) and don't have a large system, but mine have survived for months now. Filter feeders in general do well in my tank. I suspect that has to do with how I feed?

jedimasterben

The last couple of pics snapped from the 55g. The new tank cannot really be captured using my phone when the lights are on, I will need to find an alternative. My phone makes it wayyyy too blue (like way more than 20000K blue), when it's more of a 14k look.

The ever-elusive Kole tang.

2012-06-18_18-05-14_401.jpg

And the saltwater molly.

2012-06-18_18-05-02_554.jpg

(sorry for ####ty pics, the lighting was two CFLs while I was moving the LEDs to the new tank, and the glass was covered in algaes in that short time)

Fish saver is assembled.

2012-06-19_01-00-55_932.jpg

When in doubt about a shelf, hang it from the fricken' roof.

2012-06-18_18-07-57_42.jpg

2012-06-18_18-08-17_691.jpg

Temporary lighting up.

2012-06-18_21-42-53_688.jpg

And on.

2012-06-18_23-35-03_717.jpg

2012-06-18_23-34-05_675.jpg

Rock in.

2012-06-18_22-03-20_995.jpg

2012-06-18_22-03-28_604.jpg

2012-06-18_22-03-37_295.jpg

Top on.

2012-06-18_23-34-32_157.jpg

Fish and corals moved over.

2012-06-19_01-01-33_983.jpg

2012-06-19_01-01-46_871.jpg

2012-06-19_01-02-01_832.jpg

2012-06-19_01-02-13_769.jpg

2012-06-19_01-02-23_742.jpg

2012-06-19_01-02-35_14.jpg

I have GOT to get a real camera that I can change the ISO settings on.

You shoul try the app that mastermind9 uses for his 37 gallon tank I think it is called camera 360 that is if you have an iPhone.

jedimasterben
You shoul try the app that mastermind9 uses for his 37 gallon tank I think it is called camera 360 that is if you have an iPhone.

I would never give Apple a single dime of my hard-earned money.

albertthiel
The last couple of pics snapped from the 55g. The new tank cannot really be captured using my phone when the lights are on, I will need to find an alternative. My phone makes it wayyyy too blue (like way more than 20000K blue), when it's more of a 14k look.

2012-06-19_01-02-35_14.jpg

I have GOT to get a real camera that I can change the ISO settings on.

Easter Island reef ? :) :) ... not too much around there but where did you get that Maoi from ? Interesting in a reef .....

Albert

jedimasterben
oooooh! she's wet! I'm not too crazy about the tikki head or whatever that is though.
Easter Island reef ? :) :) ... not too much around there but where did you get that Maoi from ? Interesting in a reef .....

Albert

Got it at Walmart, believe it or not. It's made of ceramic and not plastic, too!

This is kinda what I was going for lol

And Kat, it's a moai. :)

jedimasterben

So last Friday, before switching tanks, I had purchased a pair of neon cleaner gobies. On Sunday when I went to move everything over, one was dead and the other no longer existed, absolutely gone. I found a present they left for me, though, before I left.....

ich. ####. ####. ####ity #### #### ####.

albertthiel
So last Friday, before switching tanks, I had purchased a pair of neon cleaner gobies. On Sunday when I went to move everything over, one was dead and the other no longer existed, absolutely gone. I found a present they left for me, though, before I left.....

ich. ####. ####. ####ity #### #### ####.

Sorry to read it ... did you acclimate them .. not sure if that is a fair question to ask as knowing your experience I am pretty sure you did

What do you think cause them to get ich/cryto? Any idea ...

Albert

jedimasterben
Sorry to read it ... did you acclimate them .. not sure if that is a fair question to ask as knowing your experience I am pretty sure you did

What do you think cause them to get ich/cryto? Any idea ...

Albert

I honestly have no idea. I do no acclimation for fish other than temperature (I have made exceptions, but only for much more expensive, much more sensitive fish, such as the Kole tang and the lyretail anthias), and I do a 5 minute freshwater dip for each new fish. I'm guessing that these were wild-caught and not tank-raised gobies, the LFS I got them from has been getting less tank-raised and more wild-caught, and I'm now assuming that these had come in earlier that day and not the week prior like I had thought. I was talking with my friend about it and I realized that every single fish I've purchased from them has not last two weeks, these gobies, a mandarin, a Lamarck's angel (in planning for a much larger tank in the next year or so), a clownfish, a coral beauty angelfish, a Banggai cardinalfish, and a couple of others that I cannot even remember. I will never purchase fish from them again.

As soon as I get home I will have to drain what is left in the 55g tank into my empty tanks I still have, remove the sand from it, rinse it out, fill it back up with the water I just removed, and then catch all the fish I just caught and put in the new tank on Sunday and begin treatment with Cupramine. I am considering going ahead and adding the rest of my planned fish (a few more chromis) to the hospital tank to go ahead and make sure that they are disease-free before everyone goes back in the DT in 8 weeks.

The good news I have is that Petco's $/gallon sale starts Sunday and I'm picking up a 40B to use as the sump! Good thing, too, as I'm already out of room in the 20 long!

albertthiel
I honestly have no idea. I do no acclimation for fish other than temperature (I have made exceptions, but only for much more expensive, much more sensitive fish, such as the Kole tang and the lyretail anthias), and I do a 5 minute freshwater dip for each new fish. I'm guessing that these were wild-caught and not tank-raised gobies, the LFS I got them from has been getting less tank-raised and more wild-caught, and I'm now assuming that these had come in earlier that day and not the week prior like I had thought. I was talking with my friend about it and I realized that every single fish I've purchased from them has not last two weeks, these gobies, a mandarin, a Lamarck's angel (in planning for a much larger tank in the next year or so), a clownfish, a coral beauty angelfish, a Banggai cardinalfish, and a couple of others that I cannot even remember. I will never purchase fish from them again.

As soon as I get home I will have to drain what is left in the 55g tank into my empty tanks I still have, remove the sand from it, rinse it out, fill it back up with the water I just removed, and then catch all the fish I just caught and put in the new tank on Sunday and begin treatment with Cupramine. I am considering going ahead and adding the rest of my planned fish (a few more chromis) to the hospital tank to go ahead and make sure that they are disease-free before everyone goes back in the DT in 8 weeks.

The good news I have is that Petco's $/gallon sale starts Sunday and I'm picking up a 40B to use as the sump! Good thing, too, as I'm already out of room in the 20 long!

All I can say is WOW ... and yes don't even go near that store for another fish

Good luck with all the work you have to do

Oh and that dollar sale starts this Sunday ?

Albert

Jedi just don't go there for fish anymore. Always ask to see them eat before you by and hold the fish for you in qt just incase they are wild caught. Some fish store would do that for you.

I can't wait for the $/gallon sale. Mr. Albert, I truly recommend you jump on that sale because that sale is hard to come by. Like example 40g breeder cost around $124.00 plus tax if sale retail but if it's the $/gallon sale it would cost you only 40 bucks. Limit is from 1-55gallon tank only not any larger. So you get a great deal on the 40s. Just my 0.02cent

albertthiel
Jedi just don't go there for fish anymore. Always ask to see them eat before you by and hold the fish for you in qt just incase they are wild caught. Some fish store would do that for you.

I can't wait for the $/gallon sale. Mr. Albert, I truly recommend you jump on that sale because that sale is hard to come by. Like example 40g breeder cost around $124.00 plus tax if sale retail but if it's the $/gallon sale it would cost you only 40 bucks. Limit is from 1-55gallon tank only not any larger. So you get a great deal on the 40s. Just my 0.02cent

Thanks and yes that is a super sale ... that is at Petco right and starts this coming Sunday ? Is that correct ?

Albert

jedimasterben

Gave the tang a freshwater dip and he is... well. Not good. Still just slumping along the bottom. The ich is so bad on him because it appears he is malnourished - he doesn't seem to know what seaweed is and won't take what I have tried to give him (fresh ulva). Sad face. :(

Archived