inTank Media Baskets

old thread lol

jedimasterben

Well Jedi Ben now that you put it that way ... I have to agree with you ... : 0

And saw a 3 inch bit of it being sold for $20 ... that is not a give away indeed ...

You saw a 3 inch but of Jedi in his birthday suit ?!

Jedi, this is a great tank going. Super clean looking and I love it. As fr the dragons breath, I THINK I had some on my live rock but a turbo ate it in a day. I had it id'd as flame algae, but as far as I know, flame algae doesn't ireddesce orange when under bright lights, no? Deckoz was gonna send me some but then he fell off the face of the earth :(. Some people are rediculous, charging 15 bucks for a 1"x1" square of it considering how fast it grows.

Nice ... and I hope the snails make it ...

Not sure if you remember or saw the post about that little green thing we were trying to identify the other day on my thread or it could be members aquariums but believe it or not now I have exactly the same thing in my tank that was just set up and I have no idea where it came from (all I did was add some snails and I sure did not see it in those bags ...

Here is a a pic ... any idea, looks like a bivalve and is green and has a few barbs or tentacles sticking out, 2 or 3 as it is hard to see but it is alive but seems to be sessile as I have not seen it move

green.png

If you or anyone seeing this thread has any idea what it is let me know please

Albert

Do you have a larger picture?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel
Do you have a larger picture?

No that is as large as I can get it unless I take it out of the aquarium and put it down on something and then try to take a close up but since it is alive I am not sure I want to do that but if no one can ID it I may just have to do so and hope that it survives

Albert

Frogspawns are starting to open up more, but the yellow torch still is not. Has never extended its tentacles more than an inch. :(

IMG_20120704_132019.jpg

Ben, it looks like you have too much flow on the euphillias.

No that is as large as I can get it unless I take it out of the aquarium and put it down on something and then try to take a close up but since it is alive I am not sure I want to do that but if no one can ID it I may just have to do so and hope that it survives

Albert

I meant the photo itself, not what's in the photo.

albertthiel

I'll try and see whether at a larger size it does not become grainy, but it will be in the am as I am signing off for the evening

Albert

Well here it is at twice the size ....

green2.png

Larger it becomes too grainy

Albert

jedimasterben
Nice ... and I hope the snails make it ...

Not sure if you remember or saw the post about that little green thing we were trying to identify the other day on my thread or it could be members aquariums but believe it or not now I have exactly the same thing in my tank that was just set up and I have no idea where it came from (all I did was add some snails and I sure did not see it in those bags ...

Here is a a pic ... any idea, looks like a bivalve and is green and has a few barbs or tentacles sticking out, 2 or 3 as it is hard to see but it is alive but seems to be sessile as I have not seen it move

green.png

If you or anyone seeing this thread has any idea what it is let me know please

Albert

I don't recognize it, but it does appear to be some sort of bivalve. Does it open and close?

You saw a 3 inch but of Jedi in his birthday suit ?!

Jedi, this is a great tank going. Super clean looking and I love it. As fr the dragons breath, I THINK I had some on my live rock but a turbo ate it in a day. I had it id'd as flame algae, but as far as I know, flame algae doesn't ireddesce orange when under bright lights, no? Deckoz was gonna send me some but then he fell off the face of the earth :(. Some people are rediculous, charging 15 bucks for a 1"x1" square of it considering how fast it grows.

He was gonna send me some too. :(

Ben, it looks like you have too much flow on the euphillias.

They have always been like this, even before I got the MP10s in the old 55g. Right now they are simply in the undertow of an MP10. I think they may want even more light, though they are about 16" under a cluster of LEDs, so there should be fairly significant PAR going on there.

I rescaped a bit before heading out to watch some fireworks. I can't believe my county turned down a $20,000 fireworks show for the public because they didn't want to pay $700 for the insurance for the show. :angry:

I moved the sebae anemone's rock to the front of the tank in front of the arch. I noticed today that the flow from the left MP10 is irritating it a bit too much. Now that part of the tank is bare, but if I move the arch back a bit, it will expose the anemone to the rear MP10 and I will be in the same predicament. Will get some pics tonight and see what everyone thinks. :)

albertthiel
I don't recognize it, but it does appear to be some sort of bivalve. Does it open and close?

Yes it does but it is so small that it is hard to tell. Does not seem to move around at all either ... No idea how it got in the tank or survived the cycle and came out of the rock

Still trying to figure it out

Albert

jedimasterben

So installed the (most likely official) Ice Cream Sandwich update on my Droid 4 and my camcorder works again!! I will get a video up today!!

So, I made a nice little PVC house for my wife's pearly jawfish. The first one (we lost to the copper treatment) loved it. When we got a second one (that wasn't harmed by the copper), instead of putting him in the tank and letting him find the house in QT, I put him into the house and then the house in the water. Well, two days later he finally comes out and decides that he still wants a few more houses around the tank lol. So, in his absence, I've been seeing one female anthias hanging out around the entrance, and what did I see yesterday?

IMG_20120704_184510.jpg

IMG_20120704_185703.jpg

IMG_20120704_185705.jpg

lol. She loves it in there!

Decided to snap a few more pictures while I was at it.

The adorable yellow clown goby :wub:

IMG_20120704_010852.jpg

Bad pic of my firefish (I wish I could get a good pic of him, he is the prettiest firefish I've ever seen)

IMG_20120704_185812.jpg

The watchman is like "shhhh. you can't seeeeeeeeee meeeeee."

IMG_20120704_010924.jpg

The elusive saltwater lyretail molly!

IMG_20120704_185914.jpg

Now for the main tank.

This tank is covered in pods of all sizes! I want a mandarin once the ich is gone, he should be able to be fat and happy even if he never eats what I feed.

IMG_20120704_222428.jpg

A black/dark dark purple sponge. All over one of my rocks, no idea what it is or where it came from.

IMG_20120704_222340.jpg

A dwarf cerith climbing mount everest!

IMG_20120704_194405.jpg

A strange anemone-thing that is chilling on a rock. Anyone know what it is? Sorry for crappy pic, now that my phone camera is good and I have the right software for it (download the IgCamera app, it's awesome!) I should be able to get a better one.

IMG_20120704_222131.jpg

The webcam may be here today, it arrived at my local post office this morning at like 6AM, so it's up in the air whether I can get it today or tomorrow (hope today!).

So installed the (most likely official) Ice Cream Sandwich update on my Droid 4 and my camcorder works again!! I will get a video up today!!

The adorable yellow clown goby :wub:

IMG_20120704_010852.jpg

A strange anemone-thing that is chilling on a rock. Anyone know what it is? Sorry for crappy pic, now that my phone camera is good and I have the right software for it (download the IgCamera app, it's awesome!) I should be able to get a better one.

IMG_20120704_222131.jpg

DROOL on the ice cream sandwich, the best version to date! I have gingerbread and it has issues. :(

YEah the YCG is adorable till it munches on SPS polyps like mine does. I think mine is slated for the sump or the LFS.

That is a hidden cup coral, very pretty.

jedimasterben
DROOL on the ice cream sandwich, the best version to date! I have gingerbread and it has issues. :(

YEah the YCG is adorable till it munches on SPS polyps like mine does. I think mine is slated for the sump or the LFS.

ICS is awesome. I had a Gummy ROM installed that used Gingerbread as a base but was like 75% ICS, but it had wicked issues. I could never get Bluetooth to work, Wifi had issues, and I could never get a solid data connection. The "official" leaked version from Motorola is significantly better, I haven't had but one issue so far with data, but it fixed itself and hasn't reared its ugly head since!!

And YCGs only eat SPS polyps in the wild, that is 100% of their nutrition. They are only doing what their instincts tell them. :/ Send him to me, I will love him and squeeze him and call him george, and he will be mine, and he will be my squishy. ;)

Hidden cup coral, I'll keep that in mind. I knew it was NPS since it was clear (no zooxanthellae), it's so pretty :wub:

albertthiel

Issues with female Yellow Clown Goby based on ME ...

It is not uncommon for the Yellow Clown Goby to spawn in an aquarium if at least two are kept.

If the aquarium contains Acropora sp. or similar SPS corals, the female will lay her eggs on the underside of the coral's branch, which can/will cause tissue recession in that area.

However it is said but I have not personally seen it happen that under good tank conditions, the coral will regenerate the lost tissue, so I believe that caution is in order

Also in small tanks IME the YCG is best kept alone as it may fight with its own kind, however in larger aquariums this is not the case IME

YCB are best kept in tanks with no SPS corals as it has a tendency to perch itself on the branches and that could be detrimental to those corals ... note that this is FWIW

Albert

my hidden coral cups have longer tentacles than that, and are less "stiff" or spotty looking. Maybe different kind?

jedimasterben
Issues with female Yellow Clown Goby based on ME ...

It is not uncommon for the Yellow Clown Goby to spawn in an aquarium if at least two are kept.

If the aquarium contains Acropora sp. or similar SPS corals, the female will lay her eggs on the underside of the coral's branch, which can/will cause tissue recession in that area.

However it is said but I have not personally seen it happen that under good tank conditions, the coral will regenerate the lost tissue, so I believe that caution is in order

Also in small tanks IME the YCG is best kept alone as it may fight with its own kind, however in larger aquariums this is not the case IME

YCB are best kept in tanks with no SPS corals as it has a tendency to perch itself on the branches and that could be detrimental to those corals ... note that this is FWIW

Albert

In captivity it would need to be a very large, healthy colony in awesome water quality to be able to come back from it, as they also eat the polyps of the SPS, as well.

my hidden coral cups have longer tentacles than that, and are less "stiff" or spotty looking. Maybe different kind?

No, Ben's is just retracted. They will extend to catch food.

Same coral in both these pics below:

IMG_4089.JPG

IMG_20111116_203639.jpg

jedimasterben

Live stream of the QT tank is up!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jedimasterben

Spent over an hour fiddling with the settings on this damn webcam, can't seem to get it to like capturing video of the tank. :/

EDIT: The female anthias is now constantly hanging out in the jawfish house and poking her head out, you can see it in the stream!

jedimasterben
The black background is probably causing exposure problems for the cam. A 50% grey would probably work better or add something lighter like plastic plants into the tank to help balance the cam exposure if you can't change the back.

I once had a webcam on my puppy so I could check on him during the day while I was at work. The cam of your quarantine tank is immensely more entertaining than watching a dog sleep.

Makes sense. Unfortunately the background is painted on, no easy way of removing it (well, no fun way, anyway :P). I'll see if I can find something light colored to stick in there, though, that was a good suggestion.

Spent over an hour fiddling with the settings on this damn webcam, can't seem to get it to like capturing video of the tank. :/

EDIT: The female anthias is now constantly hanging out in the jawfish house and poking her head out, you can see it in the stream!

The webcam look great! Although, I did feel totally voyeuristic when I tuned in and could see the reflection of your computer screen and your silhouette in the glass. Then I realized you were checking your own feed of a tank that's right behind you, that I could see on a computer screen that was reflected off that same tank, and I was watching it on my computer, and my tank was right behind me and I could also see it in my screen.... and that's when I realized I had reached one of those parts of the internet that freaks me out a bit. Confluence of real and digital life hurts brain. :huh:

jedimasterben
The webcam look great! Although, I did feel totally voyeuristic when I tuned in and could see the reflection of your computer screen and your silhouette in the glass. Then I realized you were checking your own feed of a tank that's right behind you, that I could see on a computer screen that was reflected off that same tank, and I was watching it on my computer, and my tank was right behind me and I could also see it in my screen.... and that's when I realized I had reached one of those parts of the internet that freaks me out a bit. Confluence of real and digital life hurts brain. :huh:

I just laughed so hard my cat ran away!

I am trying to find a way for Ustream to let me know how many people are watching without actually watching it myself, but I haven't quite figured that out yet lol.

albertthiel

Nice Ben ... I guess this is a non stop feed correct ... and yes I can understand that setting this up was not an easy thing to do.

Albert

jedimasterben
Nice Ben ... I guess this is a non stop feed correct ... and yes I can understand that setting this up was not an easy thing to do.

Albert

Yes, I bought it so that I can observe my fishies while I am in Kentucky. I'll be gone a whole six days, and I'm dreading it! :scarry:

I decided to go ahead and leave it up 24/7. It will be pretty boring at night, but oh well. :)

albertthiel
Yes, I bought it so that I can observe my fishies while I am in Kentucky. I'll be gone a whole six days, and I'm dreading it! :scarry:

I decided to go ahead and leave it up 24/7. It will be pretty boring at night, but oh well. :)

Yes without any light on it may be so but then who is going to watch it at that time (except you probably)

Albert

Love the websteam! help me set up one? And need webstream of the cat! pretty pweeze. Hey I was once watching a live steaming interview with (my idol) Peter Shankman (who posts happy birfday on my wall every year OMG!) anyway. He has cats and I tweeted him to show me one of his cats on the interview. The stream went on commercial break (did I mention he's a celebrity, lots of people sponsor him) and he came back with the cat in his lap. WOOOT.

Archived