Pod Your Reef

old thread lol

jedimasterben

albertthiel
I'm baaaaaaaaaackkkkk!

Stopped by World Wide Corals after dropping off my sister in Orlando. They had a whole lot of awesome stuff, but they just celebrated their 5th anniversary with a ginormous sale, so they didn't have a lot left! I picked up a SWEET pair of leathers (look like devil's hand, sorta, but fatter) for $39, a nice green slimer acro for $39, and a single chromis to replace the one I lost a couple of weeks ago (was $6). I'll get some pics in a bit.

When I got home, the cats had partially ignored their new fancy litterbox and peed a few places on the floors, but nothing I wasn't expecting.

As for the tanks, the tang was just a skeleton (kinda mad that my grandma didn't tell me it died, it was stuck to the front of one of the HOB filter intakes), and I found the pearly jawfish that I thought had died!! My wife is happy! Other than that, all look happy and healthy. I cleaned the intakes of the filters, changed the filter floss, threw in a massive dose of sugar, and stirred up the sandbed to get some more detritus out that had built up. Gave them some Formula Two pellets and they all ate heartily, even the new little chromis.

The main tank was a mess - algae freakin' explosion. But this was on purpose :D The snails needed something to eat, didn't they? I cranked up the deep red LEDs and every inch of glass was covered in a thick layer of hair algae. It's in a few places on the rocks, but nothing a bit of peroxide won't help with. My new skimmer will be here on the 19th, and I've gotta get this one sent out to Kat soon, her tank needs it!! Macros were all over the place, the tuxedo urchin was being a dick and carrying things he shouldn't have, the conch had knocked over a few frag plugs that were on the sandbed (still need to mount them, I know), but other than all of that, all was well. The porcelain crab that wasn't banished to the sump even molted again. They grow up so fast! :tears:

And btw, live stream is back up. Still mad that I couldn't connect the entire time I was gone. :angry:

Thanks for the update Ben and glad you are back ....

Albert

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Pic dump

My fuzzy chiton. Didn't survive the trip from Reefcleaners. :(

IMAGE00002.jpg

But my hawk wing conch did. :)

IMAGE00007.jpg

He's awesome!

IMAGE00010.jpg

My paly rock. Holy green, batman! They are significantly more green than the pictures show.

IMAGE00042.jpg

IMAGE00043.jpg

For reference, this is what they looked like around the end of May.

IMG_20120521_192529.jpg

Green slimer acro. Had full polyp extension a little bit later than I took the pic!

IMAGE00044.jpg

The pair of leathers. No polyp extension yet, but I'd imagine it will happen over the next few days.

IMAGE00046.jpg

And mushrooms I got before I left and never got pics of.

IMAGE00048.jpg

briansbelle

I love that you have an Easter island head too. I have one we have named "dumb-dumb" from night at the museum. ;)

jedimasterben
I love that you have an Easter island head too. I have one we have named "dumb-dumb" from night at the museum. ;)

want gum gum. ;)

I got my clowns from Fisheye today! They are healthy and happy. Stuck them in a 3g bowfront tank that was sitting dry awaiting to put together for dwarf shrimp, better than sticking them in with the wolves in QT :lol:

IMAGE00050.jpg

IMAGE00052.jpg

IMAGE00054.jpg

And here are some pics I took at the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky.

This pufferfish is freshwater, and was around 12" or so without adding in the tail. :eek:

IMAGE00025.jpg

IMAGE00026.jpg

A cool cuttlefish

IMAGE00027.jpg

And for ZephNYC, some of the largest discus I've ever seen, the biggest of these are around 9-10" across.

IMAGE00029.jpg

IMAGE00031.jpg

IMAGE00032.jpg

And two giant gouramis - around 18-20" long. :eek:

IMAGE00036.jpg

Before I left, I put together the new Catgenie litterbox, and this is what Clyde thought about the directions.

IMAGE00015.jpg

And Bubbles was like NOOOO DON'T GO, I LOVE YOUR SHOES

IMAGE00013.jpg

And Nimh was just like meh.

IMAGE00005.jpg

These are my wife's socks - almost all are unmatched. WTF

IMAGE00017.jpg

And while I was gone I played a lot of 'Plants vs. Zombies', and this is pretty much the best you could hope for, the zombies didn't stand a chance!

IMAGE00022.jpg

albertthiel

Very nice Ben .. love those Discus ... can you post some close ups of them ?

And I guess the cat was checking his/her email :)

Albert

jedimasterben
Very nice Ben .. love those Discus ... can you post some close ups of them ?

And I guess the cat was checking his/her email :)

Albert

I was not able to get any closeups of them, my phone was not cooperating as it is!

Such cutie pie kitty cats!

Where's my skimmer!

Soaking in bleach right now to make sure you don't get any "funk" from my tank. ;) Will dechlor it tonight and ship it out tomorrow.

albertthiel
I was not able to get any closeups of them, my phone was not cooperating as it is!

:angry: You need a better phone Ben .. one with LED 's :lol:

jedimasterben

Clowns are still alive and kicking this morning! I love them already. :wub:

And my experiment seems to be a success so far. We'll see over the next couple of nights. fingerscrossed

The watchman goby is still somehow alive. Still in the same state he was in, though. I'm pretty sure it's the cupramine - when he was in QT before with copper, he acted all willy nilly like this, but as soon as I removed it, he was fine. Then when I effed up and added ich back to the system and had to add copper again, he started this again, but now it's worse than ever, to the point where I'm not sure he will make it. He's just spinning in circles. :( (you can even see it on the live stream)

And I had to remind my wife to wear a bit more clothing when feeding the fish in front of the webcam! She's lucky I'm the only one that was watching the stream at that point!! ;)

And I had to remind my wife to wear a bit more clothing when feeding the fish in front of the webcam! She's lucky I'm the only one that was watching the stream at that point!! ;)

:o:lol:

Yeah! He is swimming in circles, poor fishy.

jedimasterben
:o:lol:

Yeah! He is swimming in circles, poor fishy.

:(

I instructed my wife to go look for my bag of Cuprisorb (I left it in the bottle of Purigen, lol) and then toss it into the tank, but of course to put on clothes first. ;)

Do you have a skimmer?

No -- Oceanic sells one, but everything I read said that a skimmer on a 14 was not that useful -- regular WC is better.

Tanks look cool -- love the clowns, and i want to see a pic of the leathers when they open up -- those are really, really cool!

Cats -- we have two -- my daughter managed to talk my husband into "her" cat last year -- a white bobtail named Snowbell of uncertain temperament. Then, several months ago, we were adopted by a stray tabby (bengal like markings, too) who hung around outside, eating the outside's cat's food (that was Ginger who died a couple of weeks ago). Over many months, she became accustomed to us, and has turned out to be extremely affectionate...slutty, even, which is a great way to be with kids :huh::lol: !! We named her Nutmeg, and a few days after Ginger died, she decided it was time to try to be a house kitty. It took a few days and she was seriously spooked by every house noise -- spent a lot of time running back outside, then coming back in, then jumping out -- but has now been inside for a few days and nights and seems entirely uninterested in having to live outdoors again! Snow is not happy about this. Fortunately, Meg is way too fast for her to catch and so freaking sweet tempered that she is not rattled by Snow's ####ty attitude!

jedimasterben
For you

barlettanthias_male.jpg

He's gorgeous :wub:

I'm thinking about trading in my shemale for a male male like that. S/he just isn't coloring up (none of those three were colorful).

jedimasterben

Went ahead and ordered a few things from Marine Depot:

• New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula (.5mm) Pellets
  • New Life Spectrum Thera+ A Small (.5mm) Pellets
  • Ocean Nutrition Formula One Small (.5mm) Pellets
  • Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Small (.5mm) Pellets
  • Red Sea Magnesium Test Kit
  • Red Sea Iodine Test Kit
  • Red Sea Nitrate Test Kit

$150 later, should be here early next week.

Went ahead and ordered a few things from Marine Depot:

• New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula (.5mm) Pellets
  • New Life Spectrum Thera+ A Small (.5mm) Pellets
  • Ocean Nutrition Formula One Small (.5mm) Pellets
  • Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Small (.5mm) Pellets
  • Red Sea Magnesium Test Kit
  • Red Sea Iodine Test Kit
  • Red Sea Nitrate Test Kit

$150 later, should be here early next week.

I use the new life spectrum small pellets. Everything in the tank eats them except the trimma goby. It's funny to watch the various shrimp, nassarius, and clown race to get pellets first. The clown has actually figured out it can nip the pellets off the sand or off coral (usually the rics or shrooms) -- very funny to watch as it looks like she has to think about it, hard, doing massive calculations in its little fishy brain.

jedimasterben
I use the new life spectrum small pellets. Everything in the tank eats them except the trimma goby. It's funny to watch the various shrimp, nassarius, and clown race to get pellets first. The clown has actually figured out it can nip the pellets off the sand or off coral (usually the rics or shrooms) -- very funny to watch as it looks like she has to think about it, hard, doing massive calculations in its little fishy brain.

My anthias are picky eaters - they do not like to eat anything much larger than .5mm. Them, the chromis, and the firefish all go absolutely insane over the smaller pellets. I actually have some Ocean Nutrition Formula Two pellets, but they are 1mm, and they don't seem to take to them as readily, even if I soak them in phytoplankton and garlic. I figured that since I'm stocking up, I might as well go ahead and try the smaller F2 pellets.

And I always soak them in phytoplankton to make them more nutritious. :)

Now that one could sell for a LOT of money .... :) :)

They're surprisingly not too much money. I can get a 3.5-4.5" male anthias for $30-35.

jedimasterben

Buying spree, apparently. Grabbed a Typhon Arduino controller and FTDI cable from BoostLED. Should be here next week. After that, just waiting on Steve to get in those 3up stars and I'll get my lighting finalized finally! :)

Archived