Innovative Marine Aquariums

old thread lol

jedimasterben

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read some of the ich stickies on RC. A freshwater dip won't do anything for ick. It usually just stresses the fish out.

Sorry to hear as well. I lost a hippo to ick. I would start a QT as quick as possible.

jedimasterben

Tang died as soon as he touched the water in qt with cupramine. Stopped breathing immediately.

And yes, a freshwater dip will kill ich - maybe you should do some reading on. A freshwater dip kills the parasites in the gills, helping the infected fish breathe easier. This is done before placing in qt to help reduce stress and give the fish a better chance at survival.

jedimasterben

It happens. This is tang #2 lost to ich.

And indyjaco, I'm sorry if I came off sounding like a dick in my last comment, I had low blood sugar and was upset because I lost the fish, I shouldn't have shot off like that.

At any rate, all the fish are in QT now. I was able to catch both anthias, three chromis, and a molly in one swoop of the net! The jawfish was easy to catch, he was hiding in his house, just took it out and dumped him into the net lol. The firefish and last two chromis were kind of douches. The firefish was the first out of those that I caught, and just when I was about to give up and try again later, it jumped out of the water and into the net! Talk about luck! The last two chromis were a real pain, one was the baby chromis, so it was extra fast and extra agile! Finally got them both, though.

Now, who has a time machine and can make 72 days go by like yesterday? :(

albertthiel
It happens. This is tang #2 lost to ich.

And indyjaco, I'm sorry if I came off sounding like a dick in my last comment, I had low blood sugar and was upset because I lost the fish, I shouldn't have shot off like that.

At any rate, all the fish are in QT now. I was able to catch both anthias, three chromis, and a molly in one swoop of the net! The jawfish was easy to catch, he was hiding in his house, just took it out and dumped him into the net lol. The firefish and last two chromis were kind of douches. The firefish was the first out of those that I caught, and just when I was about to give up and try again later, it jumped out of the water and into the net! Talk about luck! The last two chromis were a real pain, one was the baby chromis, so it was extra fast and extra agile! Finally got them both, though.

Now, who has a time machine and can make 72 days go by like yesterday? :(

Jedi my not need this but others may benefit from it ...

Link has info on how to do freshwater dips and at the bottom of the page a number of links to other treatment methods ... Submitted FWIW

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/hyposalin...t/ht_fwbath.htm

Albert

Wow! I am impressed by your netting skills, though sad about the motivation for it. The only fish I think I could catch would be the clown and that's because she immediately goes to investigate anything put into the water. The trimma goby would hide in rock, necessitating the removal of everything to get at it. And the damsel is so freaking quick! I'd have to use two nets like the fish store guys do!

jedimasterben
Wow! I am impressed by your netting skills, though sad about the motivation for it. The only fish I think I could catch would be the clown and that's because she immediately goes to investigate anything put into the water. The trimma goby would hide in rock, necessitating the removal of everything to get at it. And the damsel is so freaking quick! I'd have to use two nets like the fish store guys do!

Which is why my damsel is in the sump. B)

Oh, I think I forgot to talk about him! I got a blue velvet damsel a couple of weeks ago from the LFS, he is gorgeous! I hope he keeps his color, I hear they get a bit duller as they grow.

Which is why my damsel is in the sump. B)

Oh, I think I forgot to talk about him! I got a blue velvet damsel a couple of weeks ago from the LFS, he is gorgeous! I hope he keeps his color, I hear they get a bit duller as they grow.

I had one in my biocube for 2.5yrs.. he was a terror, i regreated purchasing him, he got big fairly fast and kept his black with blue although it did get dull as he got larger. I wanted to pull him out and kill him but never did, Was definitly the bully of the tank when i lived downtown. One weekend we were gone and the power went out on a hot 95degree weekend, AC never kicked on when power came back on and everyone died, 2 clowns, a flame angel and that damn damesel.

jedimasterben

Casualties so far are the kole tang, yellow clown goby, my wife's pearly jawfish, a molly, and a chromis that got sucked into the filter intake of one of the HOBs running on it right now. I felt so bad for him. :(

I also put in most of the other half of the dose of Cupramine. We'll see how the fish take to it. The anthias didn't want to eat mysis again, but gorged themselves on Cyclop-Eeze though, so they are at least eating something. I will pick up some garlic extract tomorrow at Petco when I'm getting my 40B for the sump. :)

Wow! I am impressed by your netting skills

+1

If there's something strange

in your neighborhood

Who ya gonna call?

EXPERTNETTER

If there's something weird

and it don't look good

Who ya gonna call?

EXPERTNETTER

If you're seeing things

running through your head

Who can ya call?

EXPERTNETTER

When it comes through your door

Unless you just want some more

I think you better call

EXPERTNETTER

:flower:

albertthiel
+1

If there's something strange

in your neighborhood

Who ya gonna call?

EXPERTNETTER

If there's something weird

and it don't look good

Who ya gonna call?

EXPERTNETTER

If you're seeing things

running through your head

Who can ya call?

EXPERTNETTER

When it comes through your door

Unless you just want some more

I think you better call

EXPERTNETTER

:flower:

+10 ....

jedimasterben

So far, no more casualties. An LFS had gotten a shipment of female lyreatail anthias juveniles and was selling them for $15. I took a chance and purchased three of them. They are the most beautiful I have ever seen, bright orange and yellow with beautiful "eyeliner" stripes. They are acclimated and eating well. If these do not make it, I will never purchase fish from that LFS again, this is their last chance with me.

I also removed the copper from the QT tank's water a little early with the addition of the new fish. I did not want to make it harder on the additions to have their water pre-poisoned. So far in my checking several times per night, no symptoms of ich have returned. If any do, I will resume copper treatment.

All of my macros that I got from Reefcleaners have died, except for the ulva and one specie of halimeda. It was my fault entirely, as the transition into the new tank took longer than I had expected, and they sat in my sump for several days longer than planned. Oh well, they were not expensive, so it's not the worst that could happen.

I snagged a few frags of zoas and a birdsnest, and got from my friend a pom pom crab and a sand sifting star. That starfish has lived when we thought it would have perished long ago, it has been living in a 6g tank and moved to a 29g tank, yet lives! The reason I got them, though, was because I bought this for the friend:

2012-06-30_19-05-37_211.jpg

2012-06-30_19-05-14_99.jpg

His wife named it Hulk because HULK SMASH! SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH!!! :) Got him for $10 and is about 3" long. He is very smashy, has already started killing the dward cerith population of his tank lol.

My friend also gave me some more live rock, so I am going to redo my scape today in the main tank and try and figure out my arches. :)

albertthiel
So far, no more casualties. An LFS had gotten a shipment of female lyreatail anthias juveniles and was selling them for $15. I took a chance and purchased three of them. They are the most beautiful I have ever seen, bright orange and yellow with beautiful "eyeliner" stripes. They are acclimated and eating well. If these do not make it, I will never purchase fish from that LFS again, this is their last chance with me.

I also removed the copper from the QT tank's water a little early with the addition of the new fish. I did not want to make it harder on the additions to have their water pre-poisoned. So far in my checking several times per night, no symptoms of ich have returned. If any do, I will resume copper treatment.

All of my macros that I got from Reefcleaners have died, except for the ulva and one specie of halimeda. It was my fault entirely, as the transition into the new tank took longer than I had expected, and they sat in my sump for several days longer than planned. Oh well, they were not expensive, so it's not the worst that could happen.

I snagged a few frags of zoas and a birdsnest, and got from my friend a pom pom crab and a sand sifting star. That starfish has lived when we thought it would have perished long ago, it has been living in a 6g tank and moved to a 29g tank, yet lives! The reason I got them, though, was because I bought this for the friend:

His wife named it Hulk because HULK SMASH! SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH!!! :) Got him for $10 and is about 3" long. He is very smashy, has already started killing the dward cerith population of his tank lol.

My friend also gave me some more live rock, so I am going to redo my scape today in the main tank and try and figure out my arches. :)

Good luck with the Anthias ... and that monster looks like a real nasty piece of work ... wow ...

Albert

albertthiel
Mantis! :bowdown:

Yes but I wanted to know the ID Kat and posted the question in the previous message but was not sure whether it was that particular one ... so I was looking for confirmation of the ID :0

Rissoides desmaresti ?

jedimasterben
Is the Monster : Rissoides desmaresti ?

Albert

I don't think it is - this one appears to be one of about five species, all local here to Florida, I will get the list of names from my friend (mattidallama here on NR). As soon as I do, you'll be the first to know. :)

Mantis! :bowdown:

Mantis scare the #### out of me, but after seeing this little guy, I've GOT to get one! Nightmares be damned, they're awesome!

albertthiel
I don't think it is - this one appears to be one of about five species, all local here to Florida, I will get the list of names from my friend (mattidallama here on NR). As soon as I do, you'll be the first to know. :)

Mantis scare the #### out of me, but after seeing this little guy, I've GOT to get one! Nightmares be damned, they're awesome!

Thanks Jedi. Appr it

jedimasterben

Albert, it appears as though it may be either Neogonodactylus bredini or Neogonodactylus curacaoensis.

Tank looks great, keep up the good work!

Thanks! :)

Redid my scape today. Here's what I came up with (I turned my RB LEDs way down for some of the pictures so that my camera wouldn't freak out).

FTS

2012-07-01_22-52-23_957.jpg

I love the rock sticking up out of the water. Probably my favorite part of the tank. :wub:

2012-07-01_22-53-56_839.jpg

My euphyllia garden. The tuxedo urchin the missus had to have is inspecting my work lol.

2012-07-01_22-53-23_901.jpg

Pretty new zoas

2012-07-01_18-58-21_446.jpg

2012-07-01_18-58-37_673.jpg

These were supposed to be red purple people eaters. WTF, people are totally on drugs and come up with these names.

2012-07-01_18-58-41_635.jpg

Pretty ones I've had for a while

2012-07-01_18-58-28_171.jpg

Some MIND BLOWING palys I got for free. Started from one polyp, now I have 5 or 6.

2012-07-01_18-58-57_682.jpg

A cool green acan

2012-07-01_18-59-11_757.jpg

Left side of the arch, has my 12-16 headed duncan and a new birdsnest.

2012-07-01_22-52-42_238.jpg

The rock that the right side of the arch sits on, has my three mini-maxis on it. Also, Jacques the cleaner shrimpie is hiding behind it.

2012-07-01_22-52-52_149.jpg

All my corals that I need to start placing around. The bubble coral doesn't look so hot.

2012-07-01_22-53-01_823.jpg

A bit of galaxea coral I snipped off of mattidallama's baseball-sized hunk. Was bleached on the bottom because no light could get to it, but it will regrow now that it all gets light.

2012-07-01_22-53-32_112.jpg

albertthiel
Albert, it appears as though it may be either Neogonodactylus bredini or Neogonodactylus curacaoensis.

Thanks Jedi ... I'll look those up .. interesting shape but not much color from the pic you posted. Is it sort of really all brown looking?

Archived