SaltCritters.com

old thread lol

jedimasterben

jedimasterben
Cool design on the LEDs. I think if I ever go LED, I'll DIY also.

I will make sure of that! :lol:

You will never, ever go back.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Well, went to pick the tank up on Friday, but it wasn't there yet, will be there this Tuesday. Gives me time to finish up the stand 100%.

I don't particularly like the tile that my wife picked out to put on the doors, I 'shopped it onto a mockup of the stand I made and it really didn't look that good. She also said that "mixing black and white on the trim won't look good with the tile". When I brought it up and suggested to use black and white ceramic tile like this:

1c5177a2-817d-417d-b653-042f44c57b2a_300.jpg

she got pissy and was like "I hate that our entire house has to revolve around your fish tanks, I'll have to change our whole color scheme of the living room if you do it all black and white!" and stormed away. :huh:

I have no idea why she would think that. Doesn't make any sense to me why she would change the living room color... Such things are beyond me. I couldn't give any less of a #### than I don't already give about what color the walls are, but apparently it's a BFD.

/ :rant:

At any rate, stand is painted black. Trim is still sitting behind it, she wants it black, I think there is no point in having it trimmed if it is all going to be the same color, but I can't not put trim on it because I didn't fill in all the holes from the nails used to secure the sides down. le sigh.

First coat on in most places.

IMG_20120520_163551.jpg

All second and third coats applied, floor for sump is painted, will cut tomorrow.

IMG_20120520_195536.jpg

The damned tile in question.

IMG_20120520_195614.jpg

I don't like the tile either, but some shade of grey blue for the stand and a diff shade for the trim would look better with it. Black is a no go IMO.

jedimasterben
I don't like the tile either, but some shade of grey blue for the stand and a diff shade for the trim would look better with it. Black is a no go IMO.

I don't have too many choices for the trim without giving my right arm to pay for a custom paint color.

Plus, she picked it out knowing that the stand was to be black.

jedimasterben
She doesn't want aback stand. Go sea green with grey/blue trim.

I'd rather not have a colorful stand. I let her pick out the tile because I thought she would get something that would match what I told her it was going to look like.

lol who is this

Oh, GenMay is short for General Mayhem, the off-topic section of [H]ard|Forum

I found a crab that was a hitchiker on a piece of SPS from one of my LFS. I looked him up, had no ID but didn't fit the description of any known bad crabs, so I figured meh, what the hell. My SPS have been suffering for a while now and I have no idea while, but tonight when I got home and the lights were off, moonlights on, I found him nomming on the few polyps that my SPS have left! Spent like 15 minutes trying to get him out but he escaped into the rock. :(

He will NOT be making it into the new tank, I will guarantee that!

jedimasterben
genmay = www.genmay.com

I thought you recognize my name from there

Not quite, that website sprung up from when [H] closed up their GenMay section for a short time, someone started that one in it's place. I belong to the [H]orde lol.

jedimasterben

Good suggestion, kat! But....

Bad news. The doors I made warped after I got them painted. :( even though they were laid down flat after they dried from painting, they still look like heavy, black rainbows.

But......

New plan: display sump. :)

My dad is the one that suggested it, but he wasn't thinking of it being anything special, just open so you could see the sump and such.

I will put a black curtain on the back to cover it (don't want to put plywood so I can run wires) and another curtain in the front that will roll up to reveal the sump! I will paint the trim I have now white and will use it like planned, the mrs will like it once she sees it. Plus, I worked really hard on all this!

I have a 20 long, but I think I will get a 40 breeder when the next $1/gallon sale is at Petco, should be very soon. Would section it off so the entire front has a nice display fuge, maybe some nice macros and maybe some sort of fish/shrimpie that I can't keep in the display tank due to incompatibilities. I don't think harlequins would do, they are too messy. Any suggestions?

Display Sump FTW!

On the colors and whatnot.... Trust me it has to match the living room. Its not easy for us to enjoy a room unless everything meshes just right. I bet the tiles she picked match the couch and tile in the house right?

I really can't wait to see this tank done. Nice build!

jedimasterben
So how goes the tile saga?

Bad news. The doors I made warped after I got them painted. :( even though they were laid down flat after they dried from painting, they still look like heavy, black rainbows.

But......

New plan: display sump. :)

My dad is the one that suggested it, but he wasn't thinking of it being anything special, just open so you could see the sump and such.

I will put a black curtain on the back to cover it (don't want to put plywood so I can run wires) and another curtain in the front that will roll up to reveal the sump! I will paint the trim I have now white and will use it like planned, the mrs will like it once she sees it. Plus, I worked really hard on all this!

I have a 20 long, but I think I will get a 40 breeder when the next $1/gallon sale is at Petco, should be very soon. Would section it off so the entire front has a nice display fuge, maybe some nice macros and maybe some sort of fish/shrimpie that I can't keep in the display tank due to incompatibilities. I don't think harlequins would do, they are too messy. Any suggestions?

:)

My LFS hasn't gotten the correct tank in yet. I'm a bit irritated, as I have already given them the light kit, and they've already sold it as far as I know. I need to call them today and see if it came in yesterday (their shipments arrive on Tuesdays).

Stand is pretty much done. Just need to pretty-fy the trim on the now-bare front and throw it on.

jedimasterben
I hope you take care of that GSP. I'm going to get one in my next tank :)

Nice. I can't wait to get one! It will be awesome.

Good. I hate when people have puffers because they always end up either having internal parasites, or starve to death.

jedimasterben

I do my homework before any major purchase (I would consider this major because I have to have it special ordered), I know what to look for and watch out for and try to prevent. :)

Archived