Cultivated Reef

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

Wow, we are down to 5. That is surprising.

I am actually shocked I am still in it, seeing that work has been kicking my behind lately. No really time to do much of anything. Gladly though, all projects I am working on have completed or slowed so I have time to actually work on the tank.

Hopefully I can get some pics up in the next day or so on my thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

I'm still going well, too. No issues. My mantis shrimp has been quiet for the past week, maybe getting ready for a molt. He's closed up all of the entrances to his little cave. All of the pests are doing great. Nothing has really grown out of control or gotten out of hand. The aiptasias, majanos and other nasties have found a natural balance. Been doing regular pruning of the macro algaes to keep them from getting overgrown or going asexual. No mechanical issues with the equipment.

I'll be posting my FTS and FES tonight since I'm not going to be able to this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
hey everybody, we're getting closer to that final date. videos and such soon!

Woohoo! The pest tank is doing awesome. Looking forward to posting final pictures, video and a full write-up of all of the changes and discoveries!

I'm happy to say that this project has been one of the more fun and enjoyable things I've done in my salty adventures. I've found a new appreciation for things that would otherwise be considered pests. The micro-fauna in the pest tank is so amazingly diverse and exciting. My mantis shrimp is a real character and the mysid shrimp population is fun to watch, too.

I would strongly recommend building a pest tank to anyone looking for something fun and different. It's also about the most indestructible type of pico tank you could possibly build. A pest tank would be an awesome choice for someone new to the hobby and still in the learning phase.

Stay tuned for lots of great photos and video of the pest tank at the end of the month!

I must say this has been a fun build and a fun group to be in contest with. I wish more people stuck around though.

My tank is still up and going. Had a couple coral losses, mostly due to my negligence and hectic schedule. Water changes have been spread out to every couple to three weeks as opposed to a couple water changes a week.

I am debating if I want to withdraw from the contest or not. Part of the joy was the competition aspect of it, and with only a few people left, everyone is a winner. Not much a of a contest. lol

Don't forget to post your pics today!

Tank turned out great. I am sure you will be the winner on this one. Great Job!!!

I will be posting a little later today

I can tell you from plenty of personal experience that it's not unusual to lose that many people by the end of a contest.

I also want to say that I was really inspired in looking through the monthly tank pics on the official thread this morning.

Good work!

Islandoftiki

I'd like to thank Dallas for putting this whole competition together, and to all of the judges, I'd like to say, "Wow, you look great! Have you been working out?"

hey so is this contest still going????? i thought it was a one time thing... i just started a pico two weeks ago, and i was wondering if its still eligible to be in the contest?

hey so is this contest still going????? i thought it was a one time thing... i just started a pico two weeks ago, and i was wondering if its still eligible to be in the contest?

Sorry dude, but the contest just came to a conclusion on 10/1

I'd like to thank Dallas for putting this whole competition together, and to all of the judges, I'd like to say, "Wow, you look great! Have you been working out?"

And, you judges have pretty smiles.

lol, thanks man, it was definitely a fun learning experience too I'm sure, and yes now we see what the judges have to say! and then I think we all know what comes next..PRIZES! :happy:

I would like to bring it to the judges attention that all the other contenders were saying the judges smell bad. Except me, I care about you too much to do something like that. ;)

the next posts should be pics of all original tanks still running. pico reef contests suffer a 99% loss rate in the first year alone, hopefully the 3 gallon crew fared better. post em if you still got em!

the next posts should be pics of all original tanks still running. pico reef contests suffer a 99% loss rate in the first year alone, hopefully the 3 gallon crew fared better. post em if you still got em!

yeah I would like to see the pictures.of the tanks still in action! I am debating to set up my empty 55gallon or make a pico reef. Both have their advantages to me but I love the small, coral only style.

Archived