Pod Your Reef

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

ReefersEdge

My set up is pretty simple also, no top off ever and i do a 2g water change and change my floss once a week.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

With my partially covered top and a chiller instead of a fan to keep things cool, I only have to top-off every other day.

ReefersEdge

I forgot that part, im running no chiller and a fully covered top with only an oversized hole for wires to come through. No fan and my temp stays at 83 constant.

I have a pc fan hooked up to my rkl for cooling, temp stays at a constant 78.6. I also have a float switch installed for top off. I can pretty much leave the tank unattended for a week and a half.

Our office is air conditioned to death so my heater pretty much runs constantly to keep the tank at about 79. I have a piece of lexan I throw on top overnight and during weekends to keep evap down. During the work week while I'm here I keep the top off for the asthetic factor. I top off every morning and every afternoon during the work week. I change about 25-30% of the water every Friday and change the filter floss. Every other week or so I pull the media basket and rinse out all the junk plus clean out the mesh that covers the filter intake. I've actually been thinking that I'd almost rather have a pico (or 2 or 3) at home than the 40B I've been working on.

Islandoftiki
I've actually been thinking that I'd almost rather have a pico (or 2 or 3) at home than the 40B I've been working on.

I concur. My pest tank is about 1/8th the work of my 10 gallon. I think if someone puts the time and money into it, one can build a pico that doesn't need much more than water changes. Back in the day when I first built this tank as a non-pest reef tank, I was living in an apartment. My 10 gallon tank seems like it would be a hassle to maintain in a small apartment without a laundry room or basement for mixing buckets of saltwater.

ReefersEdge

The only thing i do to my tank is a water change. The only money i have in my tank is the $50 i spent on the light, every thing else i had laying around the house.

I've actually been thinking that I'd almost rather have a pico (or 2 or 3) at home than the 40B I've been working on.

Aaahhhh...I'm pretending I didn't read that...

I've really had my heart set on upgrading my 15 gallon

to a 40B...lol

I can't imagine the 40 would be much more work than

The 15...

1. banshee

2. Islandoftiki

3. Kazooie

4. funkngroovy

5. BGJ223

6. Bobyboy

7. asus

8. Newlinta

9. ReefersEdge

Islandoftiki
Bump! How's it going all!

The pest tank is doing great. The new frag of xenia that I tossed in there just before the stocking cutoff is looking awesome.

The devil's hand leather coral finally has full polyp extension after the xenia die-off.

Some of the majanos have moved around, and happily, to the front where they're easier to view. Yesterday, one of the biggest majanos ate an asterina star.

566810ED.jpg

Bump!

How is summer treating everyone? My tank temp stays constant, but evap has increased quite a bit because the fan stays on longer.

Islandoftiki
How is summer treating everyone? My tank temp stays constant, but evap has increased quite a bit because the fan stays on longer.

Chiller for the win!

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki
I hope nobody forgets to post their pictures!

Dallas! You're alive!!!

Fear not! Photos will be posted!

The pest tank is in full effect and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm hoping to get one of the local reefers who's a whiz with taking photos of marine tanks to do the FTS for me, but we'll see if she's free tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise, I know I can do a reasonable job. But she's better than I am by far.

My FTS will be going up tomorrow since I have bowling league Wednesday evening. So stay posted! You're gonna be blown away!!!!

Cheers!

dallasprstn
Dallas! You're alive!!!

Fear not! Photos will be posted!

The pest tank is in full effect and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm hoping to get one of the local reefers who's a whiz with taking photos of marine tanks to do the FTS for me, but we'll see if she's free tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise, I know I can do a reasonable job. But she's better than I am by far.

My FTS will be going up tomorrow since I have bowling league Wednesday evening. So stay posted! You're gonna be blown away!!!!

Cheers!

Yes I am! I've been everywhere this summer and it's been crazy, I can't wait to see what all the tanks look like for this round of pictures! I bet they look great!

Islandoftiki

Ok folks! Don't forget to post your FTS/FES shots!

We don't want to halve the field yet again...

We're allowed to move things around in our tanks,aren't we?

We just can't ADD anything...

My Xenia is shading some of my zoas...can I thin out the Xenia and/or

move some zoas to a new location?

Any thoughts?

Islandoftiki
only 5 submissions this month, i guess every one left qualifies for a prize.

At this rate, by the end of the contest, two of us will be splitting all of the prizes...

Archived