Coral Vue Hydros

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

Islandoftiki
Well put.

It sounds crappy, but we agreed to participate under the confines of the rules. Sometimes that works in our favor and other times it does not.

Regardless, the welfare of the critters is paramount. If the chiller is absolutely necessary and you plan to keep the tank regardless of the competition, add the chiller. If it is deemed a no-go by Dallas, so be it. There will be future competitions.

If you can get by with a room fan, go that route. Even a small computer fan pointed at the tank would likely be sufficient and wouldn't cause excessive evaporation.

Add a window a/c unit. It will benefit you and the tank!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question about the "Best Growth" category...

I'm assuming it will be based on the timeframe from

July 1st FTS/FES(deadline to add livestock) to Oct 1st?

Is that how everyone else thinks it is?

Otherwise,you have some who "finished" stocking their tank

in May having a distinct advantage over those of us who are

Putting stuff in right up to the July 1st deadline...

Any thoughts?

All these rules questions are making my head hurt! :lol:

I just came to say I added some new stuff to the tank today. :happy:

I would assume that it is from july 1st to the end. Otherwise you would have to judge them from the time you put them into the tank which would be difficult since you prob didnt get all your coral at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
dallasprstn

Hey everybody, I just realized we kinda flew off the radar this past week. how are everyone's tanks doing? I've been staying at harvard this week and haven't even had a second to check up on the forums, hope all is going well and everyone is getting ready for July 1st! it's definitely coming up quick!

Dallas. :happy:

TheNanoReef
Hey everybody, I just realized we kinda flew off the radar this past week. how are everyone's tanks doing? I've been staying at harvard this week and haven't even had a second to check up on the forums, hope all is going well and everyone is getting ready for July 1st! it's definitely coming up quick!

Dallas. :happy:

I'm out of the contest sadly... I took my tank down last week, reason being that I won't be home for 2 weeks. When I get back though I may set it back up for fun and to finish the stain.

Added a green tree leather today. Hoping my paycheck shows up tomorrow so I can buy the last of my livestock this weekend! I hate getting paid once a month! :lol: I updated my thread today to reflect the current livestock list and added a new pic. With the last day of the month being a weekend I won't get my new FTS/FES up until the 2nd when I return to work. Will that be a problem? I can put up a new pic today or tomorrow but it won't reflect what I buy tomorrow/Saturday for the tank. :)

Islandoftiki

My pico is doing great with the exception of my browin-ish pulsing xenia. I'm going to pronounce it dead tomorrow and replace it with another frag of xenia from my 10 gallon. You know how xenia can be, sometimes it just up and dies for no obvious reason. The blue xenia is doing just fine, and all of the corals look great, so it's either mystery xenia death or chemical warfare... and prime suspect would be the devils hand leather coral. Not sure if I should take it out. I'd rather have more xenia. I changed out my CPE when I did the water change on Monday just in case it's chemical warfare that's getting it.

Anyhow, things are great with the pico, the mantis is doing great. I'll be posting pictures this weekend!

Added a green tree leather today. Hoping my paycheck shows up tomorrow so I can buy the last of my livestock this weekend! I hate getting paid once a month! :lol: I updated my thread today to reflect the current livestock list and added a new pic. With the last day of the month being a weekend I won't get my new FTS/FES up until the 2nd when I return to work. Will that be a problem? I can put up a new pic today or tomorrow but it won't reflect what I buy tomorrow/Saturday for the tank. :)

To be on the safe side just post the fts today. Then add an update on the 2nd, wouldnt want a technicality to eliminate you

I never got a reply from Dallas. I PM'ed him too. So I guess I'll post an FTS/FES here for now and then add an update if I buy anything additional today/tomorrow.

FTS:

June29FTS.jpg

FES:

June29FES.jpg

dallasprstn
I never got a reply from Dallas. I PM'ed him too. So I guess I'll post an FTS/FES here for now and then add an update if I buy anything additional today/tomorrow.

FTS:

June29FTS.jpg

FES:

June29FES.jpg

hey sorry about that! just post those photos in the FES/FTS thread when you get the chance!

Islandoftiki
And then there was 9

I predict that by the end of the competition, every remaining contestant will win at least one prize, maybe two.

I predict that by the end of the competition, every remaining contestant will win at least one prize, maybe two.

Lol...yeah,it's kind of sad really...

For anyone that hasn't seen it,

I did a big old pic dump/update in my thread last night...

I have come to the conclusion that pico's are much harder then any other type of tanks.

Ato and a chiller is a must have for these tanks.

I'm not sure what could possibly be harder than a pico. There's a reason I don't own one. Although with my wife taking down her 1 Gallon planted tank, I could put one together for next to nothing.

I don't have an ATO or a chiller. I probably have the most basic pico ever and no problems yet. *knock on wood*

I don't have an ATO or a chiller. I probably have the most basic pico ever and no problems yet. *knock on wood*

Nice, my tank has insane salinity swings. In the 10 hours it takes for me to top off of a morning and bring it down to a 1.024 and it's upto 1.028 when I get home.

So far I've lost 3 emerald crabs 2 fish and 3 corals.

If I take the fan down the evap is t as high but my tank temps hit 85-86.

Have you thought about putting a fan that blows across the glass and turning off the one in the top?

Take a look at my most recent FES, I have a small fan on a stack of books blowing across the top of the water.

To be honest, I haven't had much time this last month for my tank, basically I've been toping off every other day and I did a small waterchange once.

Have you thought about putting a fan that blows across the glass and turning off the one in the top?

Take a look at my most recent FES, I have a small fan sitting next to my tank blowing across the water and pushing the hot air up out of the vent.

Take a look at my most recent FES, I have a small fan sitting next to my tank blowing across the water and pushing the hot air up out of the vent.

Ok, I just saw the OP post when I looked.

Me too...my set up is very basic..lol

I top off twice a day(manually),change filter floss twice a week

And clean/scrape glass/water change once a week.

So far, no issues or deaths(knock on something).

All in all this has been a great experience running my first pico!

Archived