SaltCritters.com

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

TheKleinReef

when you say "depending on how corals look" what do you mean exactly?

vibrance, color, PE?

i've been dosing pohl's extra 1ml every other day and i'm not sure i can tell the difference between the corals before i started dosing it and after. (i've been dosing it 3.5 weeks.)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome Christine. Thank you. Im going to try every other day. I've noticed a lot of people dosing it every other day instead of daily.

The sponges don't bother me, and I know they are beneficial. I just wondered if I was over doing it. I've never had such a quick explosion in my other tanks. Seems like everything comes a little faster with zeo. I wouldn't expect to see the pod population, sponges, ect till much later. I feel like zeovit has made the tank stabilize and mature quicker.

when you say "depending on how corals look" what do you mean exactly?

vibrance, color, PE?

i've been dosing pohl's extra 1ml every other day and i'm not sure i can tell the difference between the corals before i started dosing it and after. (i've been dosing it 3.5 weeks.)

Hi Roger, Xtra is mainly amino acids with some other elements and vitamins so if you over dose your corals will become darker. So I look at the corals tissue paleness/darkness and dose more or less depending what I see. If your corals are already fairly dark (I don't mean brown necessarily) you should stop dosing until they lighten again. You should see healthier tissue in time, increased growth and PE with dosing. The effect on colour is only noticed in ULNS where corals tissue is quite pale already. You can dose regardless of tissue colour but your corals may not become pale (if that is desired) while dosing it regularly. Hope that makes sense.

I would dose 2mL twice a week, or 3mL twice a week if corals are light.

Awesome Christine. Thank you. Im going to try every other day. I've noticed a lot of people dosing it every other day instead of daily.

The sponges don't bother me, and I know they are beneficial. I just wondered if I was over doing it. I've never had such a quick explosion in my other tanks. Seems like everything comes a little faster with zeo. I wouldn't expect to see the pod population, sponges, ect till much later. I feel like zeovit has made the tank stabilize and mature quicker.

Sponge Power is one of Korallen-Zucht's best products IMO.

TheKleinReef

Hi Roger, Xtra is mainly amino acids with some other elements and vitamins so if you over dose your corals will become darker. So I look at the corals tissue paleness/darkness and dose more or less depending what I see. If your corals are already fairly dark (I don't mean brown necessarily) you should stop dosing until they lighten again. You should see healthier tissue in time, increased growth and PE with dosing. The effect on colour is only noticed in ULNS where corals tissue is quite pale already. You can dose regardless of tissue colour but your corals may not become pale (if that is desired) while dosing it regularly. Hope that makes sense.

I would dose 2mL twice a week, or 3mL twice a week if corals are light.

ahhhh, that cleared that up! thank you. what is interesting is this:

https://flic.kr/p/nStxGs'>14354691582_529ed18410_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/nStxGs'>65 vs frag tank slimers by https://www.flickr.com/people//'>xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

the lighter one came from the frag tank this past weekend, the darker one has been in the 65 being exposed to all of the zeovit additives.

i do like the darker deeper coloration however. would it be detrimental to keep this dosing regimen to maintain these dark rich colors?

jedimasterben

Sponge Power is one of Korallen-Zucht's best products IMO.

I almost bought 100mL of it today, but I'm really not sure I would see any benefit versus the dozen other small-particle foods I have (ranging from 5-200 micron).

Dat flow looks good, wonder how a Riptide would do :)

ahhhh, that cleared that up! thank you. what is interesting is this:

65 vs frag tank slimers by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

the lighter one came from the frag tank this past weekend, the darker one has been in the 65 being exposed to all of the zeovit additives.

i do like the darker deeper coloration however. would it be detrimental to keep this dosing regimen to maintain these dark rich colors?

Xtra is support for the tissue and zooxanthellae, adding some Xtra on a regular basis is a good idea, if corals become too dark for your liking, reduce the amount but not frequency. Every coral and every tank is different so it really depends on what you see and prefer.

I almost bought 100mL of it today, but I'm really not sure I would see any benefit versus the dozen other small-particle foods I have (ranging from 5-200 micron).

Dat flow looks good, wonder how a Riptide would do :)

You should have bought it Ben, if you don't believe me, just ask Kat, she loves the product as well.

Ben, I think the Riptide would be great for smaller frag tanks as well, nice even horizontal flow but they need to make a (Apex) controllable version so flow could be varied.

Thanks for posting the video. I have an MP40 arriving tomorrow, got tired of dealing with wimpy pumps. :)

Thanks for posting the video. I have an MP40 arriving tomorrow, got tired of dealing with wimpy pumps. :)

That's awesome news :)

jedimasterben

You should have bought it Ben, if you don't believe me, just ask Kat, she loves the product as well.

I don't think she does anymore. I remember her talking about it at some point, but haven't heard her mention it since in any of her recent feeding regimen posts. I just don't think it could have any benefit over a variety of other small-particle foods. I know vinegar is likely one of the ingredients in SP, as well, but that is a simple addition :)

And it's not that I don't believe you, I don't believe KZ.

Ben, I think the Riptide would be great for smaller frag tanks as well, nice even horizontal flow but they need to make a (Apex) controllable version so flow could be varied.

I believe it will have 0-10v control if I'm not mistaken, but I know for sure that it comes with its own controller accessed via Bluetooth and you can program it - but any program would stop the gyre, so I'm not sure about the usefulness of control other than to control the speed of the gyre and to have it reverse direction.

I don't think she does anymore. I remember her talking about it at some point, but haven't heard her mention it since in any of her recent feeding regimen posts. I just don't think it could have any benefit over a variety of other small-particle foods. I know vinegar is likely one of the ingredients in SP, as well, but that is a simple addition :)

And it's not that I don't believe you, I don't believe KZ.

I believe it will have 0-10v control if I'm not mistaken, but I know for sure that it comes with its own controller accessed via Bluetooth and you can program it - but any program would stop the gyre, so I'm not sure about the usefulness of control other than to control the speed of the gyre and to have it reverse direction.

Ben, if what you are dosing now is working fine, no need to change it up. I had not heard that vinegar is a possible ingredient, that would be a form of carbon dosing. All I can say for sure is that it supports sponge growth which helps stabilize and develop filtration. It also seems to thicken the coral tissue, at least this is what I have seen.

I remember a while back that Kat loved the product, not sure if she still doses it or not.

Controllable DC pumps are the future for reef tanks. I am waiting for the new Reef Octopus DC Elite skimmer pumps to become available in a few weeks time, I want to replace my current skimmer pump with one of these. Currently only available as a full skimmer package.

I have a question regarding ZeoVit methodology being used in a nano tank.... I understand that the Power Package was intended for tanks geared around 20+ gallons.. But what about tanks smaller ? Say,like my size tank (7 gallons ). I know and completely agree,with 50-75% water changes,sufficient flow and stability I can maintain,grow and have sps thrive,grow and be healthy in my tank.

But I'm looking for more than just growth,I want pastel and amazing looking coral. Growth isn't my TOP priorty,but surely on the list along with health. What would you suggest using besides the Power Package and ZeoBak those of which I already have. And what dosing regiment would you suggest along with how to go about diluting such a power line of products such as Zeovit ?

Thanks ahead of time Christine :D

I have a question regarding ZeoVit methodology being used in a nano tank.... I understand that the Power Package was intended for tanks geared around 20+ gallons.. But what about tanks smaller ? Say,like my size tank (7 gallons ). I know and completely agree,with 50-75% water changes,sufficient flow and stability I can maintain,grow and have sps thrive,grow and be healthy in my tank.

But I'm looking for more than just growth,I want pastel and amazing looking coral. Growth isn't my TOP priorty,but surely on the list along with health. What would you suggest using besides the Power Package and ZeoBak those of which I already have. And what dosing regiment would you suggest along with how to go about diluting such a power line of products such as Zeovit ?

Thanks ahead of time Christine :D

Okay that's a lot to answer so I will start with a simple statement. In order to have pastel corals you need to run ULNS with true undetectable nutrients. Dissolved nutrients very low at NSW levels, at the same time you have to be able to feed the corals so they can maintain their health and vitality. This sounds simple but really it is not so. It takes time to achieve a system which runs low nutrient stable, nothing leaching PO4, and NO3 is taken care of as well. This needs to be done in a balanced way or issues will arise in the tank.

ZEOvit, if run properly, can manage and achieve a stable low nutrient system in a balanced way. However, everything from the start must be correct or achieving the low nutrients you desire may never be possible. There are other ways to achieve these low nutrients, such as with bio-pellets but seldom can they do it in a balanced way, the user must be aware of what they are doing.

ZEOvit was never designed for nano tanks, it was designed for tanks 100 gallons and up. I believe this because you need to have a minimum amount of media and water for proper stabilization of the system. Simply reducing all the components required for the ZEOvit system to match a nano reef doesn't work so well. The smaller the reef, the more difficult it becomes to run a full ZEOvit system reef. Amounts of products become more critical and stability is far more fragile the smaller the system. Nano tanks are more popular than ever yet KZ doesn't wish to cater to nano tank users interested in running the system. This is because it cannot be done effectively. The "ZEOvit nano pack" is really an offering of food products (Xtra, AALPS, CV, SP) that will help with the general health of the tank and often the colour of corals. I think this is the extent Thomas Pohl wishes to go in regards to nano tanks.

The products were never designed to be diluted, I have diluted ZEOstart3 but would not attempt to disrupt the stability of the solutions beyond that. In some cases you have to find a way to dispense it in smaller quantities than a "drop" or your out of luck. My system is 25 gallon net water, probably the smallest system size I would recommend for running full ZEOvit. Even this is a challenge for me at times. What you propose is 7 gallons system running on full ZEOvit, I have never seen it done successfully, and I don't recommend it either. Add 20 gallons net water via a sump and you could probably do it. I never considered running full ZEOvit with my 7 gallon reef, even though it has a sump, just not enough water.

So, first I would get the tank stable with low nutrients before dosing any of the additives besides SP and ZEObak. Then you can begin to experiment with the other products one at a time, slowly. Large water changes will alter the water considerably, this has to be factored in when considering stability. I suppose there is no guide to follow in your case, you will probably need to experiment quite a bit before you get it right.

Ahhh,thank you for breaking that down for me Christine.

I guess what I was looking for in the answer I got from you,was that with just using the 4 in the power pack,75% water changes weekly,and filtration with just AC and I could throw my skimmer back on the tank,and keeping nutrients at 0 across the board,would I be able to achieve the colors I'm looking for without going full Zeo ?

I figured I wouldn't be able to go full on Zeo due to my tank size,and and let's face it the overall price of all the fancy blue bottles lol and I've read if you can't go full Zeo,then don't waste your time. Which I'm sure is almost 100% true most of the time.

Ahhh,thank you for breaking that down for me Christine.

I guess what I was looking for in the answer I got from you,was that with just using the 4 in the power pack,75% water changes weekly,and filtration with just AC and I could throw my skimmer back on the tank,and keeping nutrients at 0 across the board,would I be able to achieve the colors I'm looking for without going full Zeo ?

I figured I wouldn't be able to go full on Zeo due to my tank size,and and let's face it the overall price of all the fancy blue bottles lol and I've read if you can't go full Zeo,then don't waste your time. Which I'm sure is almost 100% true most of the time.

I think the bottles will help in general but I don't think you will get the colours you are looking for. SPS do not like large water changes very much, it stresses them out, and a stressed coral is not a colourful coral IMO. You just can't achieve the stability you need with having to do such large water changes. That said, it is possible to keep SPS under the conditions you describe, they just won't be happy.

Keeping healthy, colourful, growing, and vibrant corals is all about stability. Of course you need the right lighting, flow, etc. as well.

I have some montipora growing in my 7 gallon system, not looking too bad but definitely not the colours I would hope for. No acropora sp., 90% LPS. Mind you I am only running a skimmer and doing moderate water changes. Possibly I could improve colour if I managed nutrients better, but most corals are pretty happy the way things are at the moment so I am holding off with a media reactor.

I don't mean to be discouraging, I am just trying to be realistic. Even with the larger full ZEOvit tanks out there I find many people are not finding the colours they were expecting. This is probably a system issue (was not set up right) or a user issue in most cases. ZEOvit is not a "plug & play" system like some other methods are. ZEOvit is all about the user and the choices they make even before the tank is set up.

It's not a cheap system to run by any means, probably the most expensive overall, and even if you had all the money in the world it is still not an easy system to run. I love the challenge of the ZEOvit system but also realize it's not for everyone.

I say if your keen to try - try. Prove me wrong, LOL.

Picked up a Strawberry Shortcake, just an incrusted piece though, I will have to wait for upward growth.

14189545448_8f1d7813b1_c.jpg

Forest Fire Digitata is coming along... slowly, and no green yet.

14375222214_55334782e3_c.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron

I was expecting my digi frag to orange up after some time under T5 but I'm suspecting its just another south florida brown coral with no color so not sure how long to keep it around...

I was expecting my digi frag to orange up after some time under T5 but I'm suspecting its just another south florida brown coral with no color so not sure how long to keep it around...

Not sure it's a Florida thing :happy:

Mine forest fire has no green yet either. Not sure why really.

I feel less alone :lol:

Gorgeous.

Can you please help nanotopia since you know much more about zeovit than I do.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313718-reefmasters-clam-issue/page-21

Sure, what do you need help on? :(

My clam, it's on my thread from the link above.

I think your better to PM the resident clam expert ZephNYC. Sorry but not my expertise.

Archived